Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Baking maven: help converting recipe

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:01 pm
I need help to guess how I can convert this recipe for a glaze that goes on a cake.

Recipe:
1 tsp instant coffee granules
1 c confectioners sugar
1 Tbsp oil
1-2 Tbsp boiling water

The purpose is to see if I can use maple syrup as the sweetener.
I was thinking of using coconut oil as the oil so it thickens/hardens.
But the amounts of everything to get this to the right consistancy & taste. I do not mind if it is much less sweet.

Anyone good at conversions want to share guesses how to pull this off successfully?

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:12 pm
I don't know if it will harden with maple syrup instead of sugar...

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 1:15 pm
The confectioners sugar helps the glaze thicken and dry nicely. A bit of cream of tartar added is good too.

With syrup you will end up with a gooey, wet mixture...

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 3:50 pm
You can try this but it will not be the same kind of glaze. Mix coffee with just a drop of boiling water so it melts. Add 1 tsp corn starch .mix, then add 2 tsp maple syrup and mix again.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 4:03 pm
The short answer is you can't because it won't turn into the kind of glaze that is used for cakes and baked items.

What are you trying to accomplish?

There are recipes for maple syrup glaze but they use confectioners sugar as the ingredient so they have the proper glaze consistency.

FWIW, maple syrup is just another form of sugar - it is no healthier than any other type of sugar and still should not be more than a small percentage of what one eats. I just add because sometimes people think alternative sweeteners are somehow healthier but they are all just essentially empty calories with very little significant nutritional value except for calories.

I am NOT the dessert police - I love a good baked item :-). I even tracked down maple sugar (different than maple syrup) because I was dying to bake a Maple Bundt Cake which maple sugar for the batter and in the icing.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 4:54 pm
Make a caramel with honey and butter.

advocate

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 9:39 pm
Not a maven!

But here's what I am thinking.

The maple syrup is a very distinctive flavor. Maybe taste it in your coffee to make sure you like the the combination.

If you do, perhaps try to get the maple crystals another poster mentioned.

Otherwise, I would leave out the water and oil, process the coffee granules with I tsp of corn starch, then mix that with maple syrup and heat over a low flame until it reduces somewhat. I would try maybe 1/3 cup of syrup, or 1/2.

Hatzlacha and good Shabbos!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen