Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
MO English speaking not expensive community??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 18 2020, 10:50 pm
Hi All!!

We are from the tri state are have always lived here grew up here actually. We are modern orthodox, think pants wearing.

With all going on in the world we are thinking of making aliyah.

I know most modern americans flock to ra'anana and modiin ..do these places have affordable housing ? With room for a family of 6? My dream is live on a beach.. does a great warm modern community with schools and affordable housing exist on a beach someplace or is that just a pipe dream??

Can we survive on one salary of about $150k or will our lives be miserable financially as they are here?

Any other thoughts or recommendations??

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:11 am
Bump.

Anyone know anything about communities in Ashdod, Netanya, Nahariyya, Teveriah?

Teomima

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:15 am
I don't have any good suggestions for locations but if you have an Israeli mentality about money, you'll be fine. We're also a family of six, living in Jerusalem, making ends meet on a LOT less than that.

grivky

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:39 am
Check out Kiryat Hasharon in Netanya. It’s not super duper cheap but affordable and theres a growing MO Anglo community there. They recently started an Anglo shul https://www.shevetachim.org.il/
150k $ is wayyy more than most Israelis make per year. You should be able to live very comfortably. Remember- tuition is free and healthcare costs are minimal. Your biggest expenses would likely be mortgage/ rent if you want a nice place and paying for a car or 2. B’hatzlacha!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 12:49 am
My in lAws live in israel in givat Zeev, 8 living T home
They don’t make more than 100k shekel
So yes that’s a lot of money

ora_43

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:22 am
Maybe it's just on my mind because of the Haifa thread, but maybe Kiryat Shmuel? It's not exactly on the beach, but it's walking distance. Very nice community and affordable relative to more heavily anglo communities in central Israel, you could find a 4-bedroom apartment for somewhere in the 1.3 million shekel range / rent for around 4,000 a month.

But honestly with a salary of $150k you could afford to live a lot of places. And have a van to take you to the beach whenever you want.

(just make sure you're sure about that salary range; salaries are lower here)

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:40 am
Rappel wrote:
Bump.

Anyone know anything about communities in Ashdod, Netanya, Nahariyya, Teveriah?

Doubt any of these, besides Netanya, have an anglo community.
Not sure Netanya does either?
Definitely don't go to Tverya. Very old school, traditional, even the dati leumi people there. Not 'modern'. Although housing is very cheap there.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:46 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Doubt any of these, besides Netanya, have an anglo community.
Not sure Netanya does either?
Definitely don't go to Tverya. Very old school, traditional, even the dati leumi people there. Not 'modern'. Although housing is very cheap there.

I was just trying to think of beach options for OP. Smile

I know Netanya has a solid French community. Maybe they also have Anglos?

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 1:57 am
My friends parents moved from Chicago to Netanya. They are definitely Anglo, but they are of retirement age.
When I was in Israel this past year, the neighborhood felt Russian to me but It may have just been the 3 people I happen to have passed.

Success10

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:14 am
Generally, beach=expensive. I also imagine that right on the beach is not a family oriented place. But you can live near the beach.

On that salary, I think you could live well anywhere, even Raanana.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:20 am
The most important thing is to find a place where your kids can integrate. How old are they? It might be worth renting in an Anglo bubble (Raanana, Modiin, Efrat) while they are in school and buying the beach house later on.

$150k will give you a very comfortable life here. Rents are not high (though buying a house is very expensive), health care and education are no to low cost. Car ownership will be somewhat expensive, and clothes and food costs depend on your choices.

ETA - there's a very rich crowd in Raanana, and you can't live like them on 150k, with regular ski trips to Switzerland and live in help. But that's not everyone.

grivky

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 2:41 am
There’s also a Facebook page called “Israeli communities for Anglo Olim” run by Nefesh B’Nefesh which has a ton of info. There are profiles about communities there and people ask questions. I’m sure you can find plenty of contacts in Kiryat Hasharon there.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:20 am
There is also a Facebook page called Anglos in Israel that can offer advice.

Were you looking for a place walking distance to the beach, or a short drive from the beach?

Walking distance is problematic. It's mainly apartment buildings, and they are usually very expensive. Houses with yards on the beach are EXTREMELY expensive (and hard to find).

I'm also not familiar with dati communities ON the beach. Now, if you are willing to live a 5 or 10 min drive away - then yes, you have Kiryat Hasharon in Netanya. It's dati leumi (similar to MO) but not sure how many anglos are there.

What kind of budget were you looking at for housing? That makes a huge difference.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:22 am
Nahariya used to have a small Anglo community. Many cities do have some anglos

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:24 am
Sounds like you'd fit in well to Givat Shmuel

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:28 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Nahariya used to have a small Anglo community. Many cities do have some anglos

Yes, many cities do have anglos, but not really an anglo community, and definitely not a MO anglo community.

There are many cities on the beach - Herzilya, Netanya, Hadera, Ashdod, Ashkelon, and of course Tel Aviv and its environs. I would join the Anglos in Israel Facebook group to get more info about each of them.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 3:33 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Sounds like you'd fit in well to Givat Shmuel

Maybe, it's a modern dati community, but at least last time I was there it seemed it was not common to wear pants at all.

It's also not near the beach.

Ra'anana is very close to what you're looking for religiously, and in terms of anglos, but again, not near the beach. It's maybe a 20 min drive to the Herzilya beach. It's also very closed in - if you're looking for nature or space, it's not Ra'anana.

Success10

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 4:01 am
OP, are you sure you can have that same income in Israel? Because if you can, you'd be a prime candidate for aliyah. Most of your salary is probably going to full tuition to MO schools in the Tri-State area, and here' you'd be paying almost nothing. Also there are great communities of Olim just like your family.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 5:20 am
Thanks for all the replies yes I’m sure about salary because my husband works remotely. So he would continue in his American job that he has now.

I didn’t know about that Facebook page thanks so much!!

Living on the beach has always been a dream of mine but yes with kids the most important
Factor would be ease of transition which I understand may not be beach living for me which is ok.

Ora in town

Post Fri, Jun 19 2020, 6:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi All!!

We are from the tri state are have always lived here grew up here actually. We are modern orthodox, think pants wearing.

With all going on in the world we are thinking of making aliyah.

I know most modern americans flock to ra'anana and modiin ..do these places have affordable housing ? With room for a family of 6? My dream is live on a beach.. does a great warm modern community with schools and affordable housing exist on a beach someplace or is that just a pipe dream??

Can we survive on one salary of about $150k or will our lives be miserable financially as they are here?

Any other thoughts or recommendations??

I have friend in Modiin (hebrew speaking, not anglo), and housing used to be very affordable there when she bought, about 20 years ago... Meanwhile, there have been lots of new buildings sprouting all over the place...

I like Modiin because it is has young vibe, many families with children...
Oh, and I love the railway station...

my friend works in Jerusalem, her husband in the tel aviv area...

They seem very happy there...

About the beach: I suppose Netanya is nottoo expensive, but I don't know about communities there...
And you might find an anglo community in Herzliya... which is not far from the beach... but no details from personal experience there...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions