Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Want to make Aliyah but scared
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jun 20 2020, 5:54 pm
banana123 wrote:
Really? From what I've seen, even teaching bagrut, with Oz Letmura and a bonus for the subject, you don't earn 8000 until at least a few years in.

And earning more each year depends on darga, not just vetek - you need to take courses each year to move up each darga.

That's not for high schools. The whole moving up darga is only for Ofek Hadash (elementary).

In Oz Letmura (high school), you can take a few courses each year (gmulim) which raise your salary each time.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Jun 20 2020, 5:58 pm
banana123 wrote:

Aside from this, I want to note that in the areas where this would be relevant, it's not easy to find a full-time position in a high school. Where it is possible, it requires working in two or more schools.

What do you mean, the areas where it would be relevant? A teacher's salary is the same everywhere in Israel.

English teachers are in high demand. Yes, a new teacher will probably need to work in two schools the first couple of years, but if they are good, they will probably be able to find a full time position in one of these schools within a couple of years. And anyway, working in two schools is also not a bad option - it's the same amount of hours in any case.

The further away you live from major English enclaves, the easier it will be to find a job as an English teacher.

banana123

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 6:28 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
What do you mean, the areas where it would be relevant? A teacher's salary is the same everywhere in Israel.

English teachers are in high demand. Yes, a new teacher will probably need to work in two schools the first couple of years, but if they are good, they will probably be able to find a full time position in one of these schools within a couple of years. And anyway, working in two schools is also not a bad option - it's the same amount of hours in any case.

The further away you live from major English enclaves, the easier it will be to find a job as an English teacher.

Where it would be relevant to live easily on 10-12k, and also where it would be realistic to find a full-time job as an English teacher.

banana123

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 6:29 am
That's not for high schools. The whole moving up darga is only for Ofek Hadash (elementary).

In Oz Letmura (high school), you can take a few courses each year (gmulim) which raise your salary each time.

But if you don't take those courses, your salary won't go up.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 6:44 am
banana123 wrote:
But if you don't take those courses, your salary won't go up.

It will. You get more every year regardless (vetek). At least in high school you do.

And the courses are not a huge deal to do at all, especially if you shell out a bit of money to do them online. It's worth it long term.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 21 2020, 1:48 pm
Thank you for all your responses.

Does your husband have a degree and a teaching diploma?
Do you have a degree?

So here's another thing that worries me... NO, he does not have a degree in teaching. He has a BA in language literature (not english, but I won't say which language because I might reveal my identity to others). He got lucky to be teaching in a school for almost 10 years without a teaching degree, a charter school. He is a music teacher. I think he got lucky because they saw how much experience he has and he is very talented as well and likable at the school.

I think he would do best at one of the international schools in Israel, it wouldn't be as drastic as teaching only in hebrew to Israeli kids at a regular school. But it is probably very hard to get a job in one of those schools. And since he doesn't have a teaching degree, I do wonder if we're not realistic about moving to Israel. If not a music teacher, maybe he could do something with the other language he has a degree in, but it is not teaching degree.

His hebrew is better than most people that make aliyah. He doesn't speak fluently, but he understands pretty well if they don't speak as fast. He will catch up fast with hebrew because he is good with languages. But I doubt he can teach in hebrew on the first year, that will be difficult.
My kids speak hebrew at home with me. They are probably not on the same level as Israeli kids their age, but they are almost fluent. I'm fluent in hebrew, but with a slight american accent because I lived in the US since I was young.

Not much savings, we haven't been able to really save much while paying for kids' school. If we decide to move, my mom will help us pay for some things, but I really have to come up with a plan to find jobs quickly because I don't want to rely on my mom. I think it would probably be me going alone for a pilot trip by the middle of next year. I have to be lucky to find the right neighborhood and look for apartments for rent because once we make aliyah, we want to settle in an apartment and not stay by my mom (which wouldn't be a good idea...my mom and my husband).

I've always wanted to move back to Israel, I want it to happen but at the same time I'm trying to be realistic and see if this dream can actually happen or not. My husband is on board now, but part of the reason why he did not want to move at first is because a lot of things are expensive over there and yes...the israeli culture is different than what he got used to in the US.

For those of you who went through nefesh b'nefesh, any idea who I should contact to ask if we will be able to move or not? When I contact nefesh, they just emailed me some questions and then sent me the application right away.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:28 am
Ask NBN for a zoom or skype meeting with one of their representatives. But as an aside, don't expect them to make personal decisions for you. They're biased in favor of you moving and won't be there if things go downhill.

I'm a teacher in Israel and your DH would most certainly need a diploma to work in an international school (and yes, there's a lot of competition to work in such a school). You can get a teudat horaa / teaching diploma within 1-2 years, depending on how many days a week you can commit. A heads up, teaching music is very competitive because of all the Russian olim who flooded the market.

banana123

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all your responses.

So here's another thing that worries me... NO, he does not have a degree in teaching. He has a BA in language literature (not english, but I won't say which language because I might reveal my identity to others). He got lucky to be teaching in a school for almost 10 years without a teaching degree, a charter school. He is a music teacher. I think he got lucky because they saw how much experience he has and he is very talented as well and likable at the school.

I think he would do best at one of the international schools in Israel, it wouldn't be as drastic as teaching only in hebrew to Israeli kids at a regular school. But it is probably very hard to get a job in one of those schools. And since he doesn't have a teaching degree, I do wonder if we're not realistic about moving to Israel. If not a music teacher, maybe he could do something with the other language he has a degree in, but it is not teaching degree.

His hebrew is better than most people that make aliyah. He doesn't speak fluently, but he understands pretty well if they don't speak as fast. He will catch up fast with hebrew because he is good with languages. But I doubt he can teach in hebrew on the first year, that will be difficult.
My kids speak hebrew at home with me. They are probably not on the same level as Israeli kids their age, but they are almost fluent. I'm fluent in hebrew, but with a slight american accent because I lived in the US since I was young.

Not much savings, we haven't been able to really save much while paying for kids' school. If we decide to move, my mom will help us pay for some things, but I really have to come up with a plan to find jobs quickly because I don't want to rely on my mom. I think it would probably be me going alone for a pilot trip by the middle of next year. I have to be lucky to find the right neighborhood and look for apartments for rent because once we make aliyah, we want to settle in an apartment and not stay by my mom (which wouldn't be a good idea...my mom and my husband).

I've always wanted to move back to Israel, I want it to happen but at the same time I'm trying to be realistic and see if this dream can actually happen or not. My husband is on board now, but part of the reason why he did not want to move at first is because a lot of things are expensive over there and yes...the israeli culture is different than what he got used to in the US.

For those of you who went through nefesh b'nefesh, any idea who I should contact to ask if we will be able to move or not? When I contact nefesh, they just emailed me some questions and then sent me the application right away.

There used to be programs for olim with degrees to do a year or two and receive certification as an English teacher. I don't know if those programs still exist.

As a music teacher it will be very hard for him to find a full-time position. But if he is willing to teach English and music, it might be possible. However, as mentioned, he won't be able to teach for the first year or two you're here.

Some things might be expensive here in Israel, but we've lived on budgets that would never have worked in America. They worked here because regardless of location you have access to kosher food, a shul, and a mikva, and there is usually at least one religious gan and school in any given area. So you have more options for location, and you're not limited to the more expensive Jewish areas like in the US.

The culture issue I can't help with, though. Smile

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 22 2020, 8:33 am
banana123 wrote:
There used to be programs for olim with degrees to do a year or two and receive certification as an English teacher. I don't know if those programs still exist.

They still exist, a person I know did an intensive 1 year course recently in Talpiot.

On a side note, as an English teacher, you need a very high level of Hebrew. People aren't always aware of this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 5:00 pm
Hi again

A few questions I have for those of you who made Aliyah. How much did you actually spend on the move? From my understanding, nefesh would pay for the flight but what about movers? Containers? How much did you spend on furniture, appliances? And any other things I don’t know about?

I’m trying to find out prices, I’ll make a spreadsheet and see if we can actually do the big move. My mom is very unrealistic, she just wants us to move but she doesn’t know how much expense we would have without any savings. She said she would help us financially but how much can she really help?!

I think nefesh has an estimate of costs but wanted to hear from you too. Let’s say we move somewhere in israel, but not in the north, south, Jerusalem or settlements. How much woulda family of 5 have to pay monthly for rent (let’s say 3-4 bedrooms), utilities, food and any other costs?

I know that in Israel schools and healthcare isn’t as expensive in the US but I also realize that living there isn’t cheap!!

Just so you have an idea, we’ve been living for years in a one bedroom, never moved. So I know that people say that you have to downgrade when you move to israel, but we’re already living like tar for years!!! In a tiny apartment and I just can’t wait to move to more than one bedroom. Yes,life here can be more convenient... shopping online and easy quick services, unlike in israel, but it’s a matter of getting used to.

Oh yea, and apparently we have a Honda Odyssey and I’ve seen on another thread that this might not worth bringing to israel so then we will also have to purchase a car in israel... another expense!

I love israel, always will. But with a teacher and secretary salary, I have to be realistic and see if we can survive financially over there and even survive just the expensive move!

I know if israel won’t work out for us and we won’t be able to move, we will have to move to a cheaper neighborhood here and rent a bigger apartment. But I know I’ll feel guilty we couldn’t move to israel. Right now my boys love it here and of course don’t want to move, even though they speak Hebrew.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:21 am
OP wrote:

Quote:
A few questions I have for those of you who made Aliyah. How much did you actually spend on the move? From my understanding, nefesh would pay for the flight but what about movers? Containers? How much did you spend on furniture, appliances? And any other things I don’t know about?
I cant tell you exactly how much a move would cost, I came as a single girl with no lift, just three suitcases Smile
But that being said, a lift is not cheap. It depends what you will be bringing with you and what you plan to buy here when you get here.
Nefesh bnefesh is not paying for movers (and by the way, its not them who pay for your flight, its actually the jewish agency Smile they have been doing that for olim for a very long time Smile )

Quote:
I think nefesh has an estimate of costs but wanted to hear from you too. Let’s say we move somewhere in israel, but not in the north, south, Jerusalem or settlements. How much woulda family of 5 have to pay monthly for rent (let’s say 3-4 bedrooms), utilities, food and any other costs?
Location, location, location. It really depends on so many things. You mentioned a lot of places that you WONT move to, so really what, the mercaz, is left? And apartments are not cheap in the mercaz.

Quote:
Oh yea, and apparently we have a Honda Odyssey and I’ve seen on another thread that this might not worth bringing to israel so then we will also have to purchase a car in israel... another expense!
This depends on if you plan to buy new or used. Used can be anything from a few thousand shekels to a LOT more if new. But yes, it is not worth bringing a car over as parts are very hard to come by if needed.

Quote:
I love israel, always will. But with a teacher and secretary salary, I have to be realistic and see if we can survive financially over there and even survive just the expensive move!
Check out this link for examples of how much things cost and the like: https://www.expatistan.com/cos.....srael It will give you an idea of things.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know if israel won’t work out for us and we won’t be able to move, we will have to move to a cheaper neighborhood here and rent a bigger apartment. But I know I’ll feel guilty we couldn’t move to israel. Right now my boys love it here and of course don’t want to move, even though they speak Hebrew.

How old are your boys? Their opinion is no small matter.

Success10

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 4:37 am
I don't understand this whole thread. You can't drag your unwilling family on Aliyah, with no assets, just to please your emotionally unhealthy mother, who clearly has her own interests at heart and not yours. I'm really sorry if that came across as harsh. I think your priority right now is to reassess your relationship with mom, and figure out if you are just trying to please her or get her approval. Your mother wants you to make aliyah for her sake, she is not thinking about how it might affect you or your family. I'm really sorry, I hate writing posts like this. But I think it's something you need to hear.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:12 am
How old are your boys? Their opinion is no small matter.

The oldest is 9 and he will oppose even moving to a different area over here because he is used to being in the sane school with the same friends. He is still relatively young so I know he will adjust eventually to a new environment.

Actually one big reason I want to move to israel is for my kids. They don’t see it because they are still young but in Israel kids have more fun over there growing up, they can walk around with their friends alone in the streets.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:19 am
Success10 wrote:
I don't understand this whole thread. You can't drag your unwilling family on Aliyah, with no assets, just to please your emotionally unhealthy mother, who clearly has her own interests at heart and not yours. I'm really sorry if that came across as harsh. I think your priority right now is to reassess your relationship with mom, and figure out if you are just trying to please her or get her approval. Your mother wants you to make aliyah for her sake, she is not thinking about how it might affect you or your family. I'm really sorry, I hate writing posts like this. But I think it's something you need to hear.

Actually, my husband tells me the same thing about my mom, so I’m not offended. I love my mom but I definitely don’t think she is thinking straight. Her my dad decided to move to ny when I was a teenager because of a few reasons, then they retired and moved back to israel. I know they wanted me to move back as well but then I got married with an American and had kids, and as years passed, it just got harder to do the move. I personally always wanted to move back to israel but couldn’t do it because my husband wasn’t on board yet. Now he is thinking it is the best place for the kids but we’re both realistic and know that if we won’t find jobs, we won’t be able to survive financially. So then our plan B would be to move further from nyc. We will always have the issues of paying for yeshiva though. I always felt that israel is my home and I’m just here temporarily, but first we have to see if we can make it work or not.

So I’m not moving only because of my mom, she is now trying to push us to not stay here any longer because she reads the news and thinks it is horrible here with crime and antisemitism. I’m not as concerned, but I do know the longer I wait, the older my kids will be and it will get harder to move.

Success10

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Actually, my husband tells me the same thing about my mom, so I’m not offended. I love my mom but I definitely don’t think she is thinking straight. Her my dad decided to move to ny when I was a teenager because of a few reasons, then they retired and moved back to israel. I know they wanted me to move back as well but then I got married with an American and had kids, and as years passed, it just got harder to do the move. I personally always wanted to move back to israel but couldn’t do it because my husband wasn’t on board yet. Now he is thinking it is the best place for the kids but we’re both realistic and know that if we won’t find jobs, we won’t be able to survive financially. So then our plan B would be to move further from nyc. We will always have the issues of paying for yeshiva though. I always felt that israel is my home and I’m just here temporarily, but first we have to see if we can make it work or not.

So I’m not moving only because of my mom, she is now trying to push us to not stay here any longer because she reads the news and thinks it is horrible here with crime and antisemitism. I’m not as concerned, but I do know the longer I wait, the older my kids will be and it will get harder to move.

I'm glad you read my post with an open mind, and you weren't hurt. It wasn't easy to write it. I'm concerned about your mother wanting you to be here so she can emotionally lean on you, and the affects that will have on your family. It seems you are taking this decision very rationally, which is wonderful. You do have some compelling reasons to move here, but I'm not entirely sure you can make it work. It's very responsible that you are crunching numbers, but the potential trauma of moving your children here and possible harm to your shalom bayis, that's not something you can summarize in an excel sheet.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:10 am
Thank you for your post. I’m actually glad someone said that because I always used to hear it from my husband and I thought he just doesn’t like her. My mom is getting older and unfortunately she is alone. Even though my sister and brother live over there, they’re not in the same cities. On Shabbat, my mom is alone and I know if I’ll move she’ll want us to do all shabbats and holidays together because I’m the only daughter in the family that is keeping the religion. However, my husband told me that if she stagers criticizing and telling us what to do, he will speak up. Right now my mom has a neutral relationship with him, he really doesn’t like her, she doesn’t know it because he is not speaking up. I’m afraid that might happen one day if we move and I don’t want to not speak to my mom but also need shalom bayit. Most likely I’ll look for a place to live not in the same city (where she lives the city is expensive anyway). I wish I could help my mom and be closer to her but not if she will interfere with things between me and my husband.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:14 am
Why don't you go for a pilot trip and a year sabbatical? Yes I know its crazy now with Covid but seems like you have a lot of pieces to figure out before making the leap.

Maybe NBN can help you make a realistic budget. I feel like anywhere is cheaper than NYC once you factor in everything.

Its not apples to apples. For example, you may or may not need a car right when you go. Like you could use your zechuyot and buy after a year. Selling stuff in the US can also raise money for the move.

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:21 am
Thanks. I plan on going to israel alone mid year to look at communities to Luce in. Can’t bring my entire family, flight is too expensive for us. But first I will speak to an advisor and try to find prices for everything to see if we can move or not.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 29 2020, 8:23 am
Great!

Do you have friends there who could also give you a realistic picture? Remember to factor in savings and costs like taxes, school tuitions...
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions