Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Looking for good long Jewish novel
1  2  Next

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:11 pm
I have this memory problem so my father suggested that I read a long novel and read every paragraph twice so that I can digest and remember what I've just read. So he offered to buy me a book.
I'm lokoing for a good Jewish novel. Suggestions welcome Smile

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:12 pm
Sun Inside Rain
Chocolate Liquer

leomom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 10:13 pm
I don't have a suggestion off the top of my head but I think that's a really nice idea. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Feb 06 2008, 11:25 pm
Family Secrets, by Sarah Birnhack

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 4:08 am
wildflower by rachel pomerantz. Or any of her books are good.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 4:43 am
I double Family Secrets. I also think you should look into maybe reading a biography like Go My Son. It is really long and has lots of parts to remember.

Another couple of books I enjoyed are Deep Blue and The Will.

ffbmom

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:24 am
Borrowed Time by Yair Weinstock was a great book, if you like thrillers.

GramaNewYork

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 7:57 am
In case you like old stuff; like stories about Jews in Europe: I liked reading The Yeshiva by Chaim Grade.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 8:12 am
O I should mention that I don't really like musteries or thrillers. I just like plain old novels about trials and tribulations of a family.

What is chocolate liquer about? or wildflower? Sun inside rain? Family secrets?

Thanx guys!

madys

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 9:17 am
I'm in the middle of reading Seven Blessings by Ruchama King - it's a novel about shidduchim. So far, it's pretty good -

I hope your memory improves!

GetReal

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 9:44 am
I didn't like Chocolate Liquer so much, but Wildflower, Sun Inside Rain, and Family Secrets are all great. Between the Thorns is also really good.

FrumWithPCOS

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 9:57 am
Just want to add my vote for family secrets - especially based on what you like. That was one of my favorite books.

It's very long, and it's pretty much about several generations of a family (a lot of names to remember) and what happens to them. I could relate to a lot of parts in it, and the other parts really rang true to life. The author has a good grasp of human nature, and none of it (as far as I remember, it's been a long time since I read it) seemed contrived. Most of the frum novels I read seem very contrived, and it bothers me. (I mostly read nonfiction now because of that.)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:01 am
ditto amother.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:03 am
RivkiA wrote:
O I should mention that I don't really like musteries or thrillers. I just like plain old novels about trials and tribulations of a family.

What is chocolate liquer about? or wildflower? Sun inside rain? Family secrets?

Thanx guys!

if you like family stories, than family secrets, or wildflower is good. Wildflower is about a few young people who become baalei teshuva, and foolows them on thier journeys thru marriage etc. There is also a sequel called cactus blossoms. She has some other books called a time to rend, a time to sew (or vice versa) which has a similar theme to wildflower. (2 sisters from not religious family who both become bt, but follow very different ways.) And As mountains round Jerusalem - about a man from the middle of America who becomes a ger. (theres some interesting scenes when he brings his wife home to visit!)

Family secrets, iirc, is a sequel to search my heart, which may not be in print anymore, but is based on the Yossele Shumacher story. Both excellent books. Family secrets goes back into the history of a frum family, digging up all the secrets.

Sun inside rain (I should reread that) is also about BTs and Gerim etc, but I can't remeber exactly. It is based in South Africa, and deals with apartheid I think. I think one of the characters is black or colored. I don't think it is very long though.

Ima'la

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:35 am
Between the Thorns by Libby Lazewnik. It's also a family story. My favorite book.

I loved Sun Inside Rain, but it's a little less of a family-novel.

Both of those are quite long (by frum-novel-standards)

ozvhadar

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 10:47 am
Rochel Pomerantz's are great! Especially A Time to Rend, A Time to Sew.

I didn't love Family Secrets - it got a little too involved in everyone's kishkes

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:03 pm
Thank you so much guys!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:06 pm
rivkie, are you ordering online or are you gong to the store?

you might really enjoy looking at the books at the store.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:16 pm
Judaica world in ch have wildflower for half price. If you go downstairs to the basement there is a table with a whole bunch of half price books (some kids books, some holocaust memoirs and adult fiction, plus other books)

Crayon210

Post Thu, Feb 07 2008, 5:18 pm
Tell us what you choose! :-)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room