Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Who should get the mask?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:21 am
For those that hold that masks mostly protect others....

Theoretical situation:

If you are stuck in a room with a person who has corona. There is only one surgical mask available. If you want to protect yourself, would you feel safer if the sick person wears the mask or yourself?

The truth.

(And there are no other options.)

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 3:48 am
Probably me, because if they have corona and have a coughing fit, it'll very likely lift the mask at least somewhat and infect the room regardless.

Success10

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 4:15 am
I think the person with Corona should wear it. That feels more intuitive...

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:16 am
It's not about how you "hold".

Ora in town

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:28 am
You should not be stuck in a room with a person who has corona without appropriate protection equipment.

The person who has corona should be quarantined and should not come out of quarantine before healed.

Medical personnel has to be equiped with N95 masks.

Please don't take this disease lightly.
Please take quarantine seriously.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:22 am
I had to care for a very sick relative with corona who was in bed. I had to feed and make sure they drink, take vitals etc. I wore the masks. I wore two together, made a tight seal, especially on top by the nose, and also with a safety pin under the chin to pull it tighter. I threw out the outer layer mask when I got home (didn't touch anything until I washed my hands). I wore gloves that I disposed of immediately upon leaving. I kept my outerwear on (it was end of winter) and I'd air out my coat outside in the cold for a few hours when I'd get home.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:26 am
When I had it I wore one in my apartment as much as possible. This was back in March (before the advice to wear masks came out) I work in healthcare so had access to the masks.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:40 am
Ora in town wrote:
You should not be stuck in a room with a person who has corona without appropriate protection equipment.

The person who has corona should be quarantined and should not come out of quarantine before healed.

Medical personnel has to be equiped with N95 masks.

Please don't take this disease lightly.
Please take quarantine seriously.

It was a theoretical question.

smile12345

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 7:11 am
ra_mom wrote:
I had to care for a very sick relative with corona who was in bed. I had to feed and make sure they drink, take vitals etc. I wore the masks. I wore two together, made a tight seal, especially on top by the nose, and also with a safety pin under the chin to pull it tighter. I threw out the outer layer mask when I got home (didn't touch anything until I washed my hands). I wore gloves that I disposed of immediately upon leaving. I kept my outerwear on (it was end of winter) and I'd air out my coat outside in the cold for a few hours when I'd get home.

OOC, did this prevent you from catching it?

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 8:21 am
The mask looks like this:

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 9:24 am
smile12345 wrote:
OOC, did this prevent you from catching it?

I had already gotten over Covid. I was still really scared of contamination. People were dying every day. Chasdei Hashem we stayed safe. My family did not have it.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:07 am
Simple1 wrote:
It was a theoretical question.

But I reject the premise.

You should not be in a room with a person who has covid without medical-grade protection.

The world isn't an either-or place.

Success10

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:13 am
SixOfWands wrote:

You should not be in a room with a person who has covid without medical-grade protection.

You are allowed to pose a theoretical question based on a situation that should not occur in order to learn more about people's views on a topic, even if hypothetical.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 11:40 am
SixOfWands wrote:

That’s nice but not always feasible.

I live in a studio with my husband and child. There’s only 1 room. When I had it, my child and husband were certainly in the same room. There is no where else to go. And before you cite me as an exception, I’m really not. In many working class and poor communities families live in tight, small quarters. Yes it’s a major source of community transmission but it’s also reality. Oddly this gave me comfort, knowing they would most certainly get it, nothing any of us could do. (Of more, my husband we think had it very mildly at the same time as I did though he couldn’t get tested and BH my child never showed symptoms but I assume she had it)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics