Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp or no camp

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:42 pm
My son does not like swimming and the school day camp goes off camp grounds for swimming so it takes up a lot of the day. He also doesn't like learning which they do a lot of. I can keep him home (about 5 weeks) but he was already home so long and I need my space. I feel crazy wasting this money...it's possible he will stay home every other day. We dont have money but I'm also losing my sanity.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 5:51 pm
Is there any specialty camp in the neighborhood that would interest him? Sports or art or science etc.

Is he old enough to lend him out to someone with little kids to help? Let them pay him $5 a day (even if you give that to them to give him)

It sounds like the school camp isn’t worth it for him. Look at other options

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:12 pm
He doesn't like new places and doesn't like to work. But thanks.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He doesn't like new places and doesn't like to work. But thanks.

How old is he? Is he old enough for a conversation like “you need to do something this summer. Hanging around the house all day is not an option. Here are 4 options I found. Would you like to choose one of those or do you have another idea?”

In his ideal world, what would he do this summer?

Not sure what SD is looking like in your area, but could you find a few friends of his to do a round robin- 5 kids hang out at 1 house from 10-2 each day of the week and it’s that mothers job to feed and entertain them those 4 hours so everyone else gets a break?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:30 pm
If you don’t have the money and he wouldn’t enjoy it anyway, keep him home

Learning

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:32 pm
What does he like to do? I know there are kids who don’t like to swim and they do other activities while the other kids are swimming. As for not liking to learn, most kids don’t like to learn. Just send him to camp he needs to be with friends

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 23 2020, 6:38 pm
How old is he?
When our son was 16 he did not want to go to camp. He was hired as an assistant to a kitchen contractor. He woke up early to daven, worked hard, earned money.
The Next summer he went back to camp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children