Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to use the blech correctly
Previous  1  2

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:46 pm
You don't need a water blech to have a covered fire (esh mechussah). Any blech will do the trick, the halachot, I suppose, would stay the same...

The water is there to have a uniform heat everywhere...

Halachically, in addition to covered or uncovered fire, there is the question if the food could start to boil, which, starts around 45°C. If you were sure that the temperature will not rise over this critical point, you could put on soups or sauces... but a temperatrure under 60°C is dangerous because it would not kill bacteria and allow bacteria to spread, and essentially make the tchulent go sour... or dangerously infected...

so in general it is not an option to put soup directly on the blech. However, it is allowed to put a soup or sauce pot on top of another pot, where it will not reach a temperature over 45°C

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:49 pm
I think that everyone is getting bogged down by the halachic and practical details here, and missing one huge point.

Quote:
I'm getting a blech to cover my stove top, I want to use it correctly on Shabbos. 

This seems to be the first time the OP has used a blech, and she is still working out the practical details of how to use it. This is a huge step on the way to being fully shomer Shabbat. I don't know where you were coming from, but congratulations on taking this step, and hazlacha in the future.

As you've probably seen, if you ask halachic questions here, you'll get a wide range of opinions in answer. Try to find a Rav who knows you, and ask questions in real life. But we're able to help and support you along the way.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:52 pm
Ora in town wrote:
You don't need a water blech to have a covered fire (esh mechussah). Any blech will do the trick, the halachot, I suppose, would stay the same...

The water is there to have a uniform heat everywhere...

Halachically, in addition to covered or uncovered fire, there is the question if the food could start to boil, which, starts around 45°C. If you were sure that the temperature will not rise over this critical point, you could put on soups or sauces... but a temperatrure under 60°C is dangerous because it would not kill bacteria and allow bacteria to spread, and essentially make the tchulent go sour... or dangerously infected...

so in general it is not an option to put soup directly on the blech. However, it is allowed to put a soup or sauce pot on top of another pot, where it will not reach a temperature over 45°C

In theory, the water blech acts in lieu of the second pot. The bottom is pot one, the water is in between, the top is pot 2.

In theory. CYLOR.

I used one years ago, but I spilled the water every week, and gave up.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 6:57 pm
Ora in town wrote:

This would refer to heating soup up on Shabbos day. There is no problem with putting hot soup directly on the blech before candle lighting so that it will stay warm.

A few people I've met make a big pot of soup which they remove briefly from the blech on Friday might to serve, and then immediately return to the blech while it is still hot. They then leave it there and serve it again Shabbos lunch. To return something to the blech you must have the intention to return it before you take it off, and it may only be off the blech for a short time, not long enough to cool down significantly.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:09 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
In theory, the water blech acts in lieu of the second pot. The bottom is pot one, the water is in between, the top is pot 2.

In theory. CYLOR.

I used one years ago, but I spilled the water every week, and gave up.

Oh, I see, thank you....

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:13 pm
Elfrida wrote:
This would refer to heating soup up on Shabbos day. There is no problem with putting hot soup directly on the blech before candle lighting so that it will stay warm.

Of course, that was what I was referring to.

Elfrida wrote:
A few people I've met make a big pot of soup which they remove briefly from the blech on Friday might to serve, and then immediately return to the blech while it is still hot. They then leave it there and serve it again Shabbos lunch.

Ah, I see. But not every soup and not every vegetable lends itself to cooking for a longer time... That's why the tchulent was invented, I suppose...

Elfrida wrote:
To return something to the blech you must have the intention to return it before you take it off, and it may only be off the blech for a short time, not long enough to cool down significantly.

And also you are not allowed to put it down, or at least not allowed to let it go. you have to hold it the whole time...
And the same is true for the lid. also for the lid one has to have the intention to put it back and to hold it the whole time...

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:24 pm
Quote:
Elfrida
Quote:
wrote:This would refer to heating soup up on Shabbos day. There is no problem with putting hot soup directly on the blech before candle lighting so that it will stay warm.

Of course, that was what I was referring to. 

I realized that was what you were referring to, but since the OP is les familiar with the halachos, I felt it was important to clarify.

Ora in town

Post Wed, Jun 24 2020, 7:27 pm
Elfrida wrote:

I realized that was what you were referring to, but since the OP is les familiar with the halachos, I felt it was important to clarify.

Oh, I see.
You thought she would not realise that it is allowed to put a soup on the blech before shabbat...

Interesting.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 4:14 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm using the blech today for the first time, hope it goes well. I appreciate all the comments. I got the water blech.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen