Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Bumping Steps
1  2  Next

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:06 am
I live in Brooklyn and bumping strollers up and down steps is part of life.
Which strollers can handle this lifestyle?
Years ago I had a stroller with air tires that popped often. When I went to the store where I bought the stroller to complain (I had been paying for new inner tubes every 2 months) she told me "well you're bouncing the stroller up steps in NYC, the stroller is not built for that. Good riddance.
Anyway in the stroller market again. Air tires push better but I am kind of traumatized by my last tire experience.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:12 am
I don't live in Brooklyn but here in Jerusalem there are also a decent number of steps, plus I've visited NY and done the stroller bump thing on the subways there. My best experiences have been with a smaller, lighter stroller. Less shock absorption, yes, but with a lighter stroller the bounce is lighter, too.

So far my favorite on steps is my Mountain Buggy Nano.

blessedflower

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:23 am
I have the bugaboo buffalo. It's weels are made for bumpy terrains but not with air. I'm very happy. They discontinued selling it but I saw it's still available in some shops for much cheaper than the original price

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:25 am
Strollers are not meant to bump steps with. If it's not the wheels it'll be the handlebar that will loosen.

blessedflower

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:28 am
I think your best option will be to go to a baby shop and see the strollers, feel how they move and push. Hear what the pros and cons are of each. Tell the sales person what you need. Most good strollers are without air nowadays. Also shock absorption is not only related to the weels.
Really anyone that wants a stroller should go fysically to a shop. Things are different when you see it in real.

fiji

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:35 am
City mini GT handles stairs very well

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 8:41 am
My bugaboo bee broke from that. Once the handlebar which I was able to replace the parts for and fix myself but the next time it was the frame. Unfortunately I don't have the option not to bump the stroller. I am not string enough to be able to pick the whole thing up. I'm currently using a mclaren which handles the bumping but it gets stuck in between steps all the time.

ameliabedelia

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:00 am
Upababy goes up stairs beautifully!

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:05 am
My bugaboo chameleon bounces steps great!

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:12 am
The mountain buggy mini V3 stroller is great for stairs and does not have air tires. But I never bump up a stroller up or down stairs with a baby in it. I once watched a stroller tumble down the stairs with a kid in it and the handle bar stayed in the mothers hands. Bh it was a short flight of stairs but the baby got hurt. Any storller handle bar will loosen when bumped up stairs with a child inside.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:19 am
My cybex glides up the stairs when you collapse the back wheels into the front ones (meant to do that). It’s the best carriage for Israel! I had the easiest time!

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:44 am
Blessing1 wrote:
The mountain buggy mini V3 stroller is great for stairs and does not have air tires. But I never bump up a stroller up or down stairs with a baby in it. I once watched a stroller tumble down the stairs with a kid in it and the handle bar stayed in the mothers hands. Bh it was a short flight of stairs but the baby got hurt. Any storller handle bar will loosen when bumped up stairs with a child inside.

How do you avoid bumping steps altogether? I have steps to get to my building door and then steps in the building. My babysitters do too. I don't understand how people never bump up steps with a baby

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:48 am
Had my Graco for five years through 5 kids going up and down the stairs bh it's still going strong

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
How do you avoid bumping steps altogether? I have steps to get to my building door and then steps in the building. My babysitters do too. I don't understand how people never bump up steps with a baby

When I lived in the city I either took up that baby first and then the stroller, or held baby in one hand and shlepped stroller with the other hand.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 9:57 am
I’ve had my mountain buggy swift for 7 years. I have bumped it at least one flight of stairs coming and going. For more than half of that time. It is still going strong. I now use it for shopping, so it now only gets bumped down one flight a week with up to 30kg in it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:13 am
Blessing1 wrote:
When I lived in the city I either took up that baby first and then the stroller, or held baby in one hand and shlepped stroller with the other hand.

This exactky!! I live in a city and on Shabbos have to take the stairs. I’d never bump a stroller with a baby in it! Looks terrifyingly unsafe, uncomfortable and bad for the stroller

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:15 am
Blessing1 wrote:

I can't leave my stroller outside and I can't leave my baby inside while I get the stroller either. I don't understand how that works logistically

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:45 am
Iymnok wrote:
I’ve had my mountain buggy swift for 7 years. I have bumped it at least one flight of stairs coming and going. For more than half of that time. It is still going strong. I now use it for shopping, so it now only gets bumped down one flight a week with up to 30kg in it.

So interesting because my stroller was mountain buggy.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I can't leave my stroller outside and I can't leave my baby inside while I get the stroller either. I don't understand how that works logistically

I also dont understand how you avoid bumping a stroller up steps. holding the baby while I bump the stroller feels more dangerous. Also that hardly helps the damage issue with the actual stroller.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jun 30 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

Why can't you leave your stroller outside?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics