Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Flying to Florida

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:31 pm
Who is up for air travel already? Would you do it or too risky? NYC to Florida. Some airlines are keeping the middle seats empty. Dont know how to put up a poll but would you fly domestically or not yet?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:34 pm
No! And definitely not to Florida. Have you seen the news?

mommy3b2c

I did a few weeks ago. Life has to go on. The curve was flattened

Frumme

Forget about flying being too risky... Florida is having a huge up tick in COVID-19 cases right now. That's risky.

ETA: Mommy3b2c, the curve definitely was not flattened in FL!

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:41 pm
I would only fly domestic if I absolutely had to and had no other way of getting there. And even then, I wouldn't fly to Florida, Arizona, Texas, or parts of California. There's too much risk involved, and all the more so if you're just going for an optional vacation trip. If you must fly anywhere, try to stick to Southwest or Delta, which are selling the least tickets per flight and keeping the most seats open.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 01 2020, 11:41 pm
I wouldn't fly to Florida now. My MIL flew to Florida to be with her mother during surgery/recovery. She was told that every other seat will be empty, when she got on the plane every seat was full.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:05 am
I can’t imagine anyone sane flying unless it was an absolute necessity. There is no way to practice social distancing in an airplane even if the middle seat is vacant. You are exposed to anyone walking up the aisle and the thought of using a bathroom on a plane is terrifying.

And who in their right mind would visit Florida or any of the other places where cases are spiking. I am in Los Angeles and given the surge in cases, I am staying home as are all people I know except those who have essential business. Why would you visit a place where the only safe place to be is inside seeing no one except those you live with.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 1:41 am
Planes are not leaving seats empty.
When you come back you may need to quarantine.
My children’s school isn’t allowing students to return without dr note. I hope other camps do the same.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 4:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Who is up for air travel already? Would you do it or too risky? NYC to Florida. Some airlines are keeping the middle seats empty. Dont know how to put up a poll but would you fly domestically or not yet?

You should also envisage the risk that there might be no flights back. Or that there is a travel ban.
Or that you have to quarantine when you come back to New York...

I would not travel now if it was not absolutely necessary.
Certainly not for pleasure or vacation...
And probably Florida will be locked down those days... or is it already?

happyone

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:52 am
No. and not to Florida . And no, curve was not flattened in Florida .
Travel and flights were always a hotspot for breeding viruses. if you NEED to go, I'd sooner drive.

Ora in town

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I did a few weeks ago. Life has to go on. The curve was flattened

Really? In Florida? The curve is flattened? With over 5000 new cases a day?

In Italy, with a population 4 times that of Florida, at the peak of the epidemy, they only went once over 5000 new cases per day... and they ended up with over 30'000 deaths from Corona...
And Florida has a more vulnerable demography - more elderly people...

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:36 am
There are mandatory quarantines in both directions.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:38 am
I was in Florida a month ago but we drove. I know someone going this week by plane. I wouldn't be nervous.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:41 am
Amarante wrote:
I can’t imagine anyone sane flying unless it was an absolute necessity. There is no way to practice social distancing in an airplane even if the middle seat is vacant. You are exposed to anyone walking up the aisle and the thought of using a bathroom on a plane is terrifying.

And who in their right mind would visit Florida or any of the other places where cases are spiking. I am in Los Angeles and given the surge in cases, I am staying home as are all people I know except those who have essential business. Why would you visit a place where the only safe place to be is inside seeing no one except those you live with.

I guess I am insane...

(Although a few weeks ago was before the spike.)

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 7:47 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I was in Florida a month ago but we drove. I know someone going this week by plane. I wouldn't be nervous.

I would be nervous because the whole thing makes me nervous but some parts of Florida are safer than others just like little rural NY towns were safer than the city when NY was the hotspot.
If it was me, I wouldn't go. The airports could be hubs for infection. Apparently this doesn't bother young people and in Alabama, young people who test positive are invited to parties and friends make bets on who will catch it first. Chicken's dare doesn't always end well.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:04 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I guess I am insane...

(Although a few weeks ago was before the spike.)

I'm so curious how the virus can keep on going back from NY to Florida and then back again.
So weird.
Its not like people are travelling back and forth possibly spreading the virus

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:21 am
I heard that people with cheap seats are put on the plain first

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:27 am
wouldn't fly now unless absolutely necessary

the curve is flattened: while numbers are up deaths are down B"H

something I think we would all be happy about

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:32 am
Lakewood is reporting new cases specifically in people returning from Florida
Do you want to be that person?

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 10:00 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

As a Floridian, I'm telling you you should be nervous about coming down now. It's not an appropriate time.

Let me put it this way. The cities of Tampa, Jacksonville, and Sarasota have just mandated masks to be worn in public places. Violating the ordinance more than twice can result in a $500 penalty (first you get a warning and a free mask; first fine is $50). It's being recommended to avoid East Ft Myers and parts of Naples which are growing into hotspots quickly. We're not even sure if schools will be able to reopen in 6 weeks (school starts here mid August generally).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics