Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you check lettuce

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:22 pm
Do you buy the kosher one and only rinse. Or triple wash any lettuce and do chazaka?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:39 pm
Soak for 3 minutes in water and soap.
In Israel most lettuce is bug free - this is only to get the sand out (it's grown in sand)

Frumme

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 5:44 pm
Depends on the type of leafy green. DH was a mashgiach at one point so in our family, we generally do chazaka on things like spinach (buy the triple washed one and do a rinse at home, then check 3 leaves). For romaine, I used to soak in salt water or ice, but I found it didn't do a great job at removing bugs. Now I wash each piece of lettuce individually, opening all the folds while running under the tap, giving each a cursory glance but not driving myself crazy. Takes a little more physical effort, but I don't find it takes any longer than soaking 1-3 times. Same with butter lettuce, red/green leaf lettuce, and kale. Iceberg we only examine the outer three layers.

I don't go crazy with a lightbox/thrip cloth. I'd probably get so anxious about every little leaf I'd never eat lettuce again. Can't live like that.

rakcna

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:33 pm
My husband is in hashgacha. We use the thrip cloth method for our greens. Although, these days I have my husband buy some of the veggies that he checks for us to use. And you would be surprised at some of the things he finds when he spot-checks some of the prechecked stuff you find in stores.

shmosmom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:41 pm
Wait, what?
I buy Andy Boy and just check it with my eyes, and if something looks questionable I remove it with my hand.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 6:41 pm
Soak in salt water for 10 min

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:15 am
I go back and forth between soaking in salty, soapy water and agitating and rinsing, and just rinsing one at a time and checking with my eyes. I avoid curly greens liek arugala, although I love it. My husband doesn't do anything - he would just eat it. Rolling Eyes

s c

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:31 am
For iceberg. Soak in dish detergent for at least five minutes, then rinse every piece off thoroughly. Put back in a bowl of water with a white plate on the bottom as it shows up more and inspect the water for anything. The water should be perfectly clear otherwise I have to do again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen