Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbor has a backyard camp
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:40 pm
And the noise is driving me crazy. There are about 20-30 kids and they are outside all day making a racket. Even more when they go swimming.
How much noise is normal? At what point can I say something?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:41 pm
If you are in Israel, you can report them to the police.

In my experience, nothing you can say to the home owner will make one bit of difference.

Either turn them in, or pray for rain.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:41 pm
I don't think you can say anything.
Next year before the summer you can tell her if she plans on doing it again that the noise was dreadful and she should please find a different location.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:43 pm
If it's during the daytime, you can't say anything. They're entitled to have a camp in their backyard.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:43 pm
You can say something now. I would not call the township, but I would say something to the homeowner. By us, you need a permit and can have 5 kids max. I would never tell on them, but you don't need to be a shmatta either.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are in Israel, you can report them to the police.

In my experience, nothing you can say to the home owner will make one bit of difference.

Either turn them in, or pray for rain.

I'm sure that at least by now you know that we're not allowed to report Jews.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:44 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If it's during the daytime, you can't say anything. They're entitled to have a camp in their backyard.

Are they?
Is that not an illegal day-care?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:45 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

In the States, they are not.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:46 pm
watergirl wrote:

If they own their house, there's nothing anyone can do about it because we're not allowed to report.
The only thing OP can do is talk to them and if they're nice, they'll take her complaints into consideration.
If it's a rental, you can tell the landlord.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:47 pm
watergirl wrote:

But they're allowed to make noise. There's no law against noise during daytime, and if that's what's bothering OP it's too bad. If she would be concerned about the welfare of the children, she should ask a shaila about to do.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Are they?
Is that not an illegal day-care?

OP said the noise is bothering her.
Everyone is entitled to make noise in their backyard during the daytime. If it's an illegal daycare, it's non of OP's business.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:49 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If they own their house, there's nothing anyone can do about it. The only thing OP can do is talk to them and if they're nice, they'll take her complaints into consideration.

You first said they are entitled to have a backyard camp in their own house. They are not entitled, this is literally illegal in the States. I think from what FF said, it is also illegal in Israel. No idea where OP is from. So I am betting on the fact that they are not entitled to have the camp.

But you changed the point they are trying to make. Now you are saying there is nothing OP can do about it. Firstly, OP, are the neighbors Jewish? If no, then there is nothing keeping you from reporting it. Either way, OP should talk to them about the noise. If nothing changes and they ARE Jewish, she can go to the community rav or beis din. Illegal activity is also against halacha. Remember?

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
But they're allowed to make noise. There's no law against noise during daytime, and if that's what's bothering OP it's too bad. If she would be concerned about the welfare of the children, she should ask a shaila about to do.

There are definitely laws regarding noise during the day, but I doubt that young children are at levels that exceed the OSHA (and likely local ordinance) limits.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:51 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If they own their house, there's nothing anyone can do about it because we're not allowed to report.
The only thing OP can do is talk to them and if they're nice, they'll take her complaints into consideration.
If it's a rental, you can tell the landlord.

I'm guessing that this is not a licensed camp, and in the US, camps need to be licensed. Eg, https://www.acacamps.org/resou.....-york

So do daycare centers.

That's not saying that OP should snitch. There are circumstances where she should, and others when she should not.

But she should tell the neighbor that its very loud and annoying.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:52 pm
watergirl wrote:
You first said they are entitled to have a backyard camp in their own house. They are not entitled, this is literally illegal in the States. I think from what FF said, it is also illegal in Israel. No idea where OP is from. So I am betting on the fact that they are not entitled to have the camp.

But you changed the point they are trying to make. Now you are saying there is nothing OP can do about it. Firstly, OP, are the neighbors Jewish? If no, then there is nothing keeping you from reporting it. Either way, OP should talk to them about the noise. If nothing changes and they ARE Jewish, she can go to the community rav or beis din. Illegal activity is also against halacha. Remember?

Neighbors having a backyard camp, wether it's legal or not, is none of OP's business. It's not our job to make sure other's don't do anything illegal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:53 pm
Yes, it's an illegal daycare. They are renters but they act as if the entire building is theirs. They are related to the landlord so nothing will be done. They will most likely ignore my complaints or give me a list of excuses as to why they can't contain the noise.
I guess this post was more of a vent than anything else. Here I was looking forward to a calm and quiet summer. Right.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, it's an illegal daycare. They are renters but they act as if the entire building is theirs. They are related to the landlord so nothing will be done. They will most likely ignore my complaints or give me a list of excuses as to why they can't contain the noise.
I guess this post was more of a vent than anything else. Here I was looking forward to a calm and quiet summer. Right.

If they are renters in a building, maybe gather all neighbors and go to the landlord together. Maybe say that as long as this is not taken care of, you won't be paying rent.
Is she doing it in a shared backyard? If so, maybe all neighbors should send out their kids to have free camp....

Last edited by Blessing1 on Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:54 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Neighbors having a backyard camp, wether it's legal or not, is none of OP's business. It's not our job to make sure other's don't do anything illegal.

Why is her sanity/peace and quiet not her business?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:55 pm
Blessing1 wrote:

We can agree to disagree about who's business it is.

I'm sorry to hear this, OP. I know its frustrating and upsetting. Some people are selfish, entitled, and inconsiderate of others.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:56 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
If they are renters in a building, maybe gather all neighbors and go to the landlord together. Maybe say that as long as this is going on, you won't be paying rent.

No one else works from home so no one else cares Sad
The landlord will not waive the rent, they will just add on late fees for every day we are late.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette