Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbor has a backyard camp
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:56 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Why is her sanity/peace and quiet not her business?

Yes, her sanity is her business. But other people's actions are not. If one has noisy neighbors and wants quiet, they can move.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:57 pm
watergirl wrote:
We can agree to disagree about who's business it is.

I'm sorry to hear this, OP. I know its frustrating and upsetting. Some people are selfish, entitled, and inconsiderate of others.

Thank you

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No one else works from home so no one else cares Sad
The landlord will not waive the rent, they will just add on late fees for every day we are late.

Hmmmm it definitely takes some nerve to do a camp in an apartment building rental....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:58 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Yes, her sanity is her business. But other people's actions are not. If one has noisy neighbors and wants quiet, they can move.

Are you for real

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:00 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
OP said the noise is bothering her.
Everyone is entitled to make noise in their backyard during the daytime. If it's an illegal daycare, it's non of OP's business.

There's such a thing as being a mensch, or a good neighbor. My sons exercise our balcony. I asked them to use headphones for their music, as it is loud. Not loud enough for a noise complaint, but loud enough to be annoying.

And yes, having 20 rambunctious kids in a backyard meant for one family can be loud and annoying.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:04 pm
Does your lease say you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home? If so, you are not getting that from the other tenants.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you for real

Unfortunately, yes. We live under a large noisy family and there's noise 24/7. The teens sleep all day and jump around all night. No amount of complaining and begging to them or the landlord, is of any help. So our only option is to move.... You can't control what others do. Part of the package of living in a house with neighbors, is the noise that comes along.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:09 pm
This issue comes up in so many ways, whether it’s illegal babysitting groups/ playgroup, or day camp . At the end of the day, a person has to decide if they want to deal with it or be a snitch and ruin someone else’s parnassah. No one is going to close down a business because it’s annoying unless they are an extreme mensch but considering that it seems like every block has a backyard camp this year it doesn’t seem that there is anything to do about it.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:10 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Unfortunately, yes. We live under a large noisy family and there's noise 24/7. The teens sleep all day and jump around all night. No amount of complaining and begging to them or the landlord, is of any help. So our only option is to move.... You can't control what others do. Part of the package of living in a house with neighbors, is the noise that comes along.

There's a difference between a family living their lives, even if that involves some level of annoyance to you, and someone running an illegal business out of their home.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:10 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
There's such a thing as being a mensch, or a good neighbor. My sons exercise our balcony. I asked them to use headphones for their music, as it is loud. Not loud enough for a noise complaint, but loud enough to be annoying.

And yes, having 20 rambunctious kids in a backyard meant for one family can be loud and annoying.

Of course it's not mentchlich. But unfortunately, it seems like there's nothing OP can do about it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:12 pm
Op I have the same exact problem!
Except that these people are the landlord and I can’t do anything about it.

It’s hard, I get so badly annoyed sometimes, but there’s really nothing to do as long as I’m at the mercy of someone else’s house....

Greenbelle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:12 pm
call me dramatic if you want.
I can't judge you because I have no clue what bothers you about yiddishe kinder playing.
I love it and always have.
I would love to live near a yeshiva or shul and hear the kol torah.
Second best would be a gan or day camp where the laughter of yeiddishe kinder fills my living room.
Hitler killed a million.
Bring me 100 million.
My neighbor lives upstairs with a bunch of little children.
They don't have a carpet.
I hear them running and playing.
I wouldn't trade it for the world.
when my children were younger (now they are teens)
they played on shabbos with friends and mostly it never bothered me to sleep.
to Masser is assur.
maybe invest in good ear plugs or pipe some Mozart into your living room.
Also, if you break up the camp, 20 children will be lonely and bored.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:13 pm
As of today, new rules in Israel. No groups of over 20, masks must be worn, and 6 feet distance.

You could quibble on a technicality because they are "too young to wear masks" and they are outdoors, but if they are that smooshed together, someone is going to be bringing some kind of virus home.

Not just Corona, which is horrible, but now there is a stomach flu going around as well.

If this was a bunch of chiloni teenagers having a backyard beer party, where they were blasting rap music with inappropriate lyrics, I'll bet most of you wouldn't have a problem calling the police - regardless of the religion of the teens.

Last year I lived next door to an illegal day care that had between 30 and 40 two year olds, and only 2 adults. Their back yard was right next to my bedroom window, so sleeping in was not an option. The kids also climbed up the fence and tormented my dog, threw food at her, and "barked" at her. I asked the neighbor a dozen times to keep the kids under control, and she said (I swear this is exactly what she said) "There are too many of them, I can't watch them all."

Does this sound like a safe environment for 2 year old children? IMHO, they SHOULD be shut down. I never called them in, I just moved to a much quieter neighborhood.

Hashem should protect those kids, because obviously no one else is doing it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:18 pm
What exactly bothers you about the noise. Are you working from home and can’t concentrate or need to use the phone? Or you just can’t stand the noise. You can wear headphones with noise canceling. Dh complains about our neighbors and nothing helped so he wears noise canceling headphones. Dh is extremely sensitive to noise (he is in the spectrum ). I don’t care about the noise. It doesn’t bother me at all. It is not annoying noise. Just kids talking.

QueensMama

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:18 pm
Have you tried talking to them? Before you stew in (well-justified) resentment, have a talk with them. They may not realize how noisy they are being.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:28 pm
Greenbelle wrote:
I can't judge you because I have no clue what bothers you about yiddishe kinder playing.
Second best would be a gan or day camp where the laughter of yeiddishe kinder fills my living room.
Hitler killed a million.
Bring me 100 million.
to Masser is assur.

I hugged you because you sound so nice.

That aside. I understand it's noisy to OP. For me that kind of noise doesn't even register lol.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:39 pm
I used to live in the same building as an illegal cheider . They had about 30 boys in a 2 bedroom apartment. I was also on chufshat leidah that year and could never take a nap during the day. We moved.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
What exactly bothers you about the noise. Are you working from home and can’t concentrate or need to use the phone? Or you just can’t stand the noise. You can wear headphones with noise canceling. Dh complains about our neighbors and nothing helped so he wears noise canceling headphones. Dh is extremely sensitive to noise (he is in the spectrum ). I don’t care about the noise. It doesn’t bother me at all. It is not annoying noise. Just kids talking.

I might be on the spectrum too, who knows. This isn't just kids talking though. It's a ton of squealing combined with loud instructions from the counselor.
I will see if I can talk to them and/or get myself some noise canceling headphones. I have earplugs but I need to be able to hear my baby.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:02 pm
Greenbelle wrote:
Hitler killed a million.
Bring me 100 million.
to Masser is assur.

You’re really sweet but when the noise comes from people who aren’t being considerate and mentchlich, the noise doesn’t seem so nice anymore.... Even tho we all love Jewish Kinder!

penguin

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:08 pm
What about a din torah?
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette