Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Seminaries and yeshiva Opening in Israel ???!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:35 am
It's only the right wing girls' seminaries that send girls away every shabbos. Almost every place else has at least one or two weeks in per month, and most have staff who host regularly. They're not pawning kids off on strangers every week.

I do feel bad for the girls who are stuck looking for places every shabbos. I think parents should pressure the seminaries to run shabbos programming. On the other hand, getting to meet families from all over the country is a great learning experience.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 5:48 am
Depends. For some the year is transformative just because they are away from home. My seminary was not BY-ey but the fact that I was away from the unhealthy dynamic at home was life-changing.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:14 am
Well the article does say a seminary needs to present them a quarantine plan, and how they will follow guidlines, and misrad habriut needs to see the seminary and dorm before the seminary is given an issur for entry visas.

So it's not ideal but it's a less stupid decision than half the governments decisions lately.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:24 am
There will be less girls coming than normal this year, so quarantine facilities should be fairly easy to arrange.

I think the seminaries themselves will be very cautious about letting the girls go away for Shabbos - even to married siblings. They don't want girls coming back from Shabbos and having to into bidud.

I know a number of people who are beginning to cautiously have guests for Shabbos. They would probably be willing to have seminary girls as well, so long as the seminary was well regulated. Where I live there have been some seminaries that stayed open, and there is a group of families who are willing to host them.

There might be less touring and less going out, but they will still get a chance to be here, to breathe the air of Eretz Yisrael, and to learn Torat Eretz Yisrael, which can't be replicated anywhere else in the world.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 6:25 am
Many of the trips seminaries do are private tours, hikes, and things that can be rented out.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 7:59 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

And even with the spike, Israel is still safer than the US.

How so? I dont know if that really true...

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:56 am
The entire seminary / yeshiva year industry has a lot of teachers that will be unemployed if schools are not opened. Im not saying that that is good or bad, if they dont open, but thats also a reality.

I think the schools will have to come up with chag and shabbat options as people are not going to be having students over all of the time.

If the schools do open, it will be a different type of year.

But you can not compare studying in a sem in america or other countries and studying torah in Eretz Yisrael.

For me personally it changed my life. But I went over 20 years ago and it was not as financially prohibitive.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:52 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I have a relative high up in meuchedet and it seems that they believe they will have a covid vaccine by dec./jan - so the 2nd half of the year will be the reg. israel experience hopefully.

Also while you could learn anywhere - leaving home and being in a dorm is a huge part. The sem's are still planning on taking them all over the country - just in groups with no contact with the locals.

But the biggest thing for me was the mechanchim who transformed my life and while I've met special people in the USA the infrastructure and experience that they have is not comparable to people who have been teaching, inspiring, and mentoring girls their entire life.

They have their fingers on this generations pulse in a way I have not experienced where I was from in the US . I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I wouldn't have had access to these type of people without sem.
Contrary to popular believe they really don't make a lot of money (the sem OWNERS do - but the actual mechanchim don't), and they really (mostly) are doing this lesheim shamayim. I am happy that other girls will be exposed to these really special people.

On the other hand I am happy that the pressure to go even if you can't afford is off - and hope it sticks post covid. Seminary always and is a luxury

There are girls that won't be going, not because of financials. Just saying. It shouldn't be assumed that girls that didn't show up is because they couldn't afford it.
Many parents and the children themselves do not feel comfortable flying half way across the world in such uncertain times.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:58 am
Most of the seminaries and yeshivas laid off their staff a couple months ago. These schools provide parnassa and business to many locals that make it worthwhile to the economy.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 11:04 am
Iymnok wrote:
Most of the seminaries and yeshivas laid off their staff a couple months ago. These schools provide parnassa and business to many locals that make it worthwhile to the economy.

This is true.
That's why it bugged me that so many of the locals make fun of the American sem girls, and look down on them. Can't tell you how many comments and jokes I heard at their expense.

And the way sems have been treating their applicants is very disheartening. No appreciation. The interview/rejection process is just as bad as high schools. I guess one effect of this, is they will have more appreciation for the girls coming because they realize they need the girls more than the girls need them.

The Hamodia had an interesting editorial about the expectations of girls going to sem. I do think changes are coming. Covid has forced the issue.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
How so? I dont know if that really true...

The numbers in Israel are going up, but the contact tracing, isolation, and recovery procedures are still a lot stricter than in America. By September this particular wave should be going down.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 12:48 pm
Elfrida wrote:
The numbers in Israel are going up, but the contact tracing, isolation, and recovery procedures are still a lot stricter than in America. By September this particular wave should be going down.

We don't really know anything.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Lets hope so, but people (medical professionals) are saying so many different things thats its impossible to know anything for sure.

banana123

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:20 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Lets hope so, but people (medical professionals) are saying so many different things thats its impossible to know anything for sure.

It's impossible to know for sure regardless, because no one here has a crystal ball.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 4:28 pm
As a mother of a potential seminary girl I just want to comment on some things

I don't know about other seminaries but my daughter will be going to a chabad seminary and they said the girls should expect to not have any off shabbosim and should not expect to be able to visit even relatives this year. They hope that later on in the year it might be allowed if desired but they should come with the expectations of it not being allowed at all. Regarding trips they said hopefully in a few months they'll be able to do self contained trips not mingling with others or the public just the girls but also not to expect it as a given. They are planning to have a single dorm building as opposed to apartments in residential buildings and to be a somewhat self contained bubble. We never know what the future holds or where it will be safer but to me this sounds safer than many American options. So we hope and pray for a year of real growth and learning.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 8:21 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I have a relative high up in meuchedet and it seems that they believe they will have a covid vaccine by dec./jan - so the 2nd half of the year will be the reg. israel experience hopefully.

Also while you could learn anywhere - leaving home and being in a dorm is a huge part. The sem's are still planning on taking them all over the country - just in groups with no contact with the locals.

But the biggest thing for me was the mechanchim who transformed my life and while I've met special people in the USA the infrastructure and experience that they have is not comparable to people who have been teaching, inspiring, and mentoring girls their entire life.

They have their fingers on this generations pulse in a way I have not experienced where I was from in the US . I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I wouldn't have had access to these type of people without sem.
Contrary to popular believe they really don't make a lot of money (the sem OWNERS do - but the actual mechanchim don't), and they really (mostly) are doing this lesheim shamayim. I am happy that other girls will be exposed to these really special people.

On the other hand I am happy that the pressure to go even if you can't afford is off - and hope it sticks post covid. Seminary always and is a luxury

There is sem in chul. But if you don't qualify for FAFSA, it can still be pricey.
Our last sem experience is a few years ago. But we chose a less pricey sem, got FAFSA, and some local Federation grants. It wasn't outrageous.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 9:37 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I live in Israel and always host seminary girls and yeshiva bochurim.
Not this year
Sems better have a plan for every sueda those girls need

I only have boys, so can’t speak for girls, but the young American marrieds in Israel like hosting more then the guests enjoy going. So I don’t think finding places to go should be an issue

Growing

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 4:20 pm
Can someone summarize the interview in Yeshiva World about this
[not time to listen - maybe you do]

Thank You

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I only have boys, so can’t speak for girls, but the young American marrieds in Israel like hosting more then the guests enjoy going. So I don’t think finding places to go should be an issue

I was a young american married in israel and I have no idea what you are talking about. So all the boys and girls that called me asking (begging) for meals were doing it for my sake??

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 5:48 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
There are girls that won't be going, not because of financials. Just saying. It shouldn't be assumed that girls that didn't show up is because they couldn't afford it.
Many parents and the children themselves do not feel comfortable flying half way across the world in such uncertain times.

Especially to Israel which is seeing a very high rise in cases.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics