Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Camp threw my kid out - Do I need to tip
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:27 pm
Camp told me that my three year old is not welcome back second half which starts on Monday. I bh was able to figure something else out which already started today so her last day there was yesterday. Is it not nice to not tip the counselors of her old camp? They did work with her for almost the whole half even if they were ultimately not successful.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Camp told me that my three year old is not welcome back second half which starts on Monday. I bh was able to figure something else out which already started today so her last day there was yesterday. Is it not nice to not tip the counselors of her old camp? They did work with her for almost the whole half even if they were ultimately not successful.

You know the answer, you just said they worked With her for Almost the whole half. Yes, tip.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:29 pm
tip them if you think kicking her out was justified.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:30 pm
Yes, tip. Why should the counselors lose out because the camp decided to not welcome your child back? If it was due to a behavior issue, tip even more than the requested amount by a few dollars.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:31 pm
Stars wrote:
tip them if you think kicking her out was justified.

Off topic, but what on earth could a three-year old do to get kicked off camp? 🤔 Is it something simple and developmental like toilet issues? If so then I agree a tip still makes sense.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This happened when one of my sons was a counselor. He and his co-counselor spent weeks working with a child who repeatedly attempted to hit them and curse them out. He created problems in the group that they had to mediate. They were generally able to make sure the other kids had fun and were safe.

Until the kid threatened to kill another child on the bus.

They should have been tipped. If the counselors gave it their best try, but were unable to deal with issues that were unrelated to them, your kid's counselors should be tipped.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:34 pm
Even though I agree the counselors may deserve the tip, I don't think I'd honestly go in to a camp my kid was kicked out of just to tip the counselors.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:42 pm
I don't agree with these posters. I would not tip in that scenario. It's humiliating enough if the child is not asked back.

giselle

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:44 pm
It’s nice to tip but I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t. I don’t think most people would.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:46 pm
depends upon so many specific factors
good counselors?
good with your child?
who "threw him out" and why?

hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Amber

Assuming that your child's behavior was challenging, tip generously.

If the counselor was abusive or otherwise contributed to the problem, that's a different situation.

notshanarishona

I wouldn’t tip unless they clearly tried their best to make things work out. I can’t think of many acceptable reasons for kicking out a 3 year old.

Stars

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:49 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Off topic, but what on earth could a three-year old do to get kicked off camp? 🤔 Is it something simple and developmental like toilet issues? If so then I agree a tip still makes sense.

No judgment, but so many things.

-Cry all day for three weeks straight
-Bite and kick constantly in a manner that is unsafe for the other children
-Strong misbehavior that disturbs the classroom dynamic and doesn’t resolve over time with normal discipline
Etc

I think toilet issues should be resolved by having the kid wait in the office until a parent comes and changes the child.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 2:53 pm
watergirl wrote:
Yes, tip. Why should the counselors lose out because the camp decided to not welcome your child back? If it was due to a behavior issue, tip even more than the requested amount by a few dollars.

This. The counselors did their job, and the camp justifies paying them very little by assuming they will get generous tips. And if the child is difficult, the counselors deserve more, just like a hotel waiter who goes back repeatedly to bring you more of "the good stuff".

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:02 pm
I won’t tell you what to do but keep in mind if your child was difficult or had behavioral issues the counselors worked even harder than they would have had he not misbehaved.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:05 pm
People are asking what a 3 year old can do. I have a sibling whose 4-year-old child has pretty big behavioral issues. During the school year he is in a special program, and he's considered hard even there.

My sibling is in total denial about his behavioral issues, even though said sibling goes on and on how difficult he is, and needs a break from child, etc...sibling still insists child is "just a normal child" and that "all kids behave like this" and "schools just make a big deal".

Sibling has tried to put that child into a regular daycamp without informing them of issues. Child was kicked out after a day. Sibling tried another daycamp.

In case you wonder, child will go to bathroom and smear it up with his own bodily excrement and play in it. Child runs really fast and has boundary issues, if he's by my house I have to watch him and engage him constantly or he can run off. Child doesn't listen. etc...

Whatever, if the counselors took care of your child for first half, they deserve a 1/2 summer tip amount.

If you don't want to go in there, you can always send it to them in the mail.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:12 pm
I was not at all surprised that they told me she can't come back second half.

I don't want to go into too much detail here but I don't think they did a terrible job at all but its possible if the issue was approached differently at the beginning this would not have happened. It was never a problem in her previous camp/school experiences.

I go back to that camp every day because I have a different kid in an older bunk. I do not see my three year olds counselors though - just the head staff who direct dismissal and drop off.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:13 pm
No. 3 year olds are the way they are and a camp should be prepared for them.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:19 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
No. 3 year olds are the way they are and a camp should be prepared for them.

Not if it compromises the safety of the other campers.
And, teen counselors aren't exactly trained teachers who would likely have a better handle on certain behaviors. You can't expect a 16 year old kid to be able to manage extreme behaviors and certain situations.
At the end of the day, a camp needs to keep all the campers and staff safe. And sometimes, when they can't, they need to send a child home.
I worked in a school with a "runner" it was pretty scary how she was able to duck and run. The police were called on a few occasions. Once there was a helicopter out looking for her (a construction worker spotted her before she made it to a busy road). Eventually, she was placed in a special program in another school and is now doing much better.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 3:26 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Not if it compromises the safety of the other campers.
And, teen counselors aren't exactly trained teachers who would likely have a better handle on certain behaviors. You can't expect a 16 year old kid to be able to manage extreme behaviors and certain situations.
At the end of the day, a camp needs to keep all the campers and staff safe. And sometimes, when they can't, they need to send a child home.
I worked in a school with a "runner" it was pretty scary how she was able to duck and run. The police were called on a few occasions. Once there was a helicopter out looking for her (a construction worker spotted her before she made it to a busy road). Eventually, she was placed in a special program in another school and is now doing much better.

If a camp hires a person that is incapable of watching a 3 year old it's the camp's fauIt.I worked in a pre school with 3 year olds and I can't imagine a 3 year old compromising the safety of an adult or a 16 year old. Sounds like pure incompetence .
That being said, if s child has special needs and the camp can't cope with that, it's understandable.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics