Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Share a kind act someone did for you
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:44 pm
Please share with us something that someone did or said to you that gave you a very good feeling or made you feel cared for.
It can also be something you did for other people.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:08 pm
A family member knew we're struggling financially. He gave us his credit card and said: Buy 'whatever' you need and WANT.
He heard that I really wanted a luxurious item but wouldn't justify buying it from his account, so he purchased it for us by surprise and hand delivered it anonymously.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:15 pm
The mikvah lady drove me home after mikvah. I was planning on taking a lyft/uber, but there was nothing available. Weather was crazy torrential rains. The drive was completely out of her way. She doesn't know me.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:17 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Its the nine days, we try to increase kindness and chesed with others.
Please share with us something that someone did or said to you that gave you a very good feeling or made you feel cared for.
It can also be something you did for other people.

My husband and I both had covid. People in the community brought us whatever we needed, and sent us meals. When I was unable to cook for Pesach, seder food and a seder plate arrived.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:26 pm
Incredible stories. Some people are so selfless and caring.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:40 pm
Almost 4 years later and I haven't forgotten this.
I had my first baby and "moved into my mothers house" (translation: I was home the whole day with the cleaning lady in an empty house. I dragged myself around making grilled cheese for breakfast and lunch. My mother made supper, usually chicken and frozen vegetables. Ie there was zero pampering going on.)

I stayed for 2 weeks and then returned home bc there was a family simcha on my husband's side. We came the night before and I had to do hair, makeup etc early the next morning.

Bc everyone thought my mother had taken care of me, none of my generous sil or mil thought to send over any food, and everyone was busy with the simcha. Not sure why any of my own sisters didn't occur to them either but...

Anyways I had one friend who kept harassing me when am I returning home so she can send a meal, even though I insisted it wasn't necessary.

I came back to my empty apartment and she had sent... hot food, dessert, salad, fruit, even paper goods. The only person to send me food after my birth. To this day I consider it a huge chessed and I've told her that but I don't think she gets what a big deal it was for me to be emotionally pampered one time.

Surrendered

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 3:52 pm
I would like to point out that a big factor before doing a chesed like sending over food or present, is to let the person know that you'll be sending over a meal. Better yet, which day is better for you tonight or tomorrow... also with a present, can you use ____, would you appreciate this item? Would you rather this or that (if its an option).
I twice got 2 lunches and dinners meals on the same day and next few days got nothing.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:03 pm
I had a miscarriage 2 days ago ... I’m in NY and my close friend from Israel arranged for someone to drop of a card, chocolate, and warm socks... it was the closest thing to a hug and meant the world to me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:11 pm
Well, I had a very very bad day a few days ago. I won’t go into details, but someone close really violated my trust and I was an emotional mess. Well a friend who I had not talked to in a few weeks contacted me just to check in. Her check in was so appreciated & the timing was perfect. Just to have a friend to talk to when I was feeling so down was so helpful.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:15 pm
A dozen years ago, I had a very public and late miscarriage. It was on C"H Sukkot. Simchat Torah there is a huge luncheon in our Shul. We had previously signed up and I wanted to make things as normal for my 5 & 3 yo as possible. I sent my DH with them to Shul for hakafot and lunch and stayed home alone. 2 women in my community, who I was friends with, but not bestie, saw my DH and kids and asked where I was. He told them I was home alone and they asked him if it would be ok if they came to my house to keep me company. They pack lunch up for the 3 of us from the Shul buffet and left their kids with their DH (and the party) and came over and sat with me until my DH and kids came home.

One moved away and I have not spoken to her in years. The other is really just in a different circle than I am and I don't speak with her often. But these two women have a very special place in my heart.

If one of you happen to be reading this, THANK YOU.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:16 pm
We aren't necessarily 'struggling' financially, but living very low key. We don't publicize our financial status ,but it ain't a secret either. Some know and some don't.
This year before pesach we got a check in the mail of close to $400 from a family member. We were shocked as it was totally unexpected, but so thankful and appreciative.

Our world still has good people!

Good Friend

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:18 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I had a miscarriage 2 days ago ... I’m in NY and my close friend from Israel arranged for someone to drop of a card, chocolate, and warm socks... it was the closest thing to a hug and meant the world to me.

Hug I'm so sorry for your pain! You should be blessed with only good news to share from now on.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Sending love.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:53 pm
When I had a baby my SIL came and took my kids to my backyard. I live in an apartment and couldn't take them down myself.

SYA

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 2:54 pm
After I had a baby my neighbors made Shabbos for my family (even asking how my kids like the different food, as they're very picky)

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:01 pm
I’m very early pregnant and too tired to do anything. My amazing friend who just had her fourth begged me to come over for the afternoon. I had just thrown up so I was starving. We went and my son played with her kids. We shmoozed and passed the afternoon. We bathed the kids together and put them in pjs. I wish I was a help but I probably wasn’t. Her neighbor sent over pasta and salad for dinner. She (a real kimepturin) piled my plate with the dinner they got and forced me to eat. I was embarrassed to take from her but it sure felt good to be cared for.

She texts me every day come over in the afternoons! As if I’m the one “helping” her. Some people are too good.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:16 pm
My child’s doctor heard we needed a cd picked up from the hospital. So after a full day of seeing patients she ran to pick it up & then special went back to the hospital early the next morning & dropped it off with friends that we just found out were there & leaving that day to our city.
(Originally she was going to upload the imaging so the other hospital network can review it asap, but by hashgacha pratis we heard about a shliach to bring the cd to us)

Yes, we are very lucky to have the most special & caring oncologist.

Anonymous because this happened 2 weeks ago & shared with everyone I know irl

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I’m very early pregnant and too tired to do anything. My amazing friend who just had her fourth begged me to come over for the afternoon. I had just thrown up so I was starving. We went and my son played with her kids. We shmoozed and passed the afternoon. We bathed the kids together and put them in pjs. I wish I was a help but I probably wasn’t. Her neighbor sent over pasta and salad for dinner. She (a real kimepturin) piled my plate with the dinner they got and forced me to eat. I was embarrassed to take from her but it sure felt good to be cared for.

She texts me every day come over in the afternoons! As if I’m the one “helping” her. Some people are too good.

Yup, have a friend like that. She would host 3 kids of mine at a time for a couple of days & I would be doing her a favor...

Definitely made those hospital stays easier

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
My child’s doctor heard we needed a cd picked up from the hospital. So after a full day of seeing patients she ran to pick it up & then special went back to the hospital early the next morning & dropped it off with friends that we just found out were there & leaving that day to our city.
(Originally she was going to upload the imaging so the other hospital network can review it asap, but by hashgacha pratis we heard about a shliach to bring the cd to us)

Yes, we are very lucky to have the most special & caring oncologist.

Anonymous because this happened 2 weeks ago & shared with everyone I know irl

Sounds like a very special Doctor. Wishing you Mazel and bracha, that you child should have a complete and speedy Refuah.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:31 pm
I don’t drive.

My neighbor saw me struggling to bring groceries home and now she asks for my shopping lists every time she goes to a store and picks up everything on my lists for me.

She tells me when things I like go on sale.

She even lets me use her extra freezer space!

She is not frum (yet) but she is certainly doing a ton of Chesed mitzvahs! She is the sweetest lady.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette