Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Share a kind act someone did for you
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:34 pm
This thread is a great idea. I was feeling really down and reading these posts restored my faith in humanity.

I hope it keeps going!

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:52 pm
This post is not to brag about myself,, just to give you an idea of simple things you can do for others that takes almost nothing on my part but means the wlrld to the other lerson who is going through challenging times..
My friends DC had a major surgery. I called many yeshivas and schools to daven on the child's behalf during surgery. It meant alot to the mother.
I asked her if she can use DVDs for the hospital stay, and arranged it from a Gamach. The lady from the gemach delivered it to her house..
She is getting daily suppers delivered for her family.
I also arranged for her kids to be accepted into an afternoon program to keep them entertained.

acemom

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:08 pm
I haven't gone to shul on RH and YK ever since I had kids.

One year, before I moved to my current apartment, the neighbor's teenager knocked on my door on RH and asked to take my kids for a little so that I could daven "or whatever else you want to do".
On YK she did the same.

It was really a thoughtful gesture.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:38 pm
When DH had minor surgery I was in the waiting room
An elderly gentleman came in asked I’d I was so and so
I recognized him from our shul
He sat and kept me company, told me stories, even brought packaged snacks.
When the nurse came in to tell me that DH was ready for visitors, I told the gentleman to go first, this way he can go.
He told me no, I’m not here to do bikur cholim I came to keep you company.

When DH had major surgery the gentleman came again.
When the doctor came out to tell me how surgery went he said he was the grandfather.
Again as soon as DH was ready to see visitors he left
He came a seperate time for DH

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:39 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
When DH had minor surgery I was in the waiting room
An elderly gentleman came in asked I’d I was so and so
I recognized him from our shul
He sat and kept me company, told me stories, even brought packaged snacks.
When the nurse came in to tell me that DH was ready for visitors, I told the gentleman to go first, this way he can go.
He told me no, I’m not here to do bikur cholim I came to keep you company.

When DH had major surgery the gentleman came again.
When the doctor came out to tell me how surgery went he said he was the grandfather.
Again as soon as DH was ready to see visitors he left
He came a seperate time for DH

So sweet! What a special person.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:46 pm
I remember being pregnant while working in a very big office. Although I technically looked fine I was having a very hard pregnancy. I was in my fifth month or so, really really hungry but too nauseous to look at my food and too weak to even go see if the vending machine had anything kosher that week. My colleague was another frum girl, very young but very intuitive. She came over and said "I didn't see you in the lounge at lunch break today, do you need me to get your food from the fridge?" I said no it's OK. She said ok then I'm making a frozen pizza for you. Honestly, that frozen pizza got me way more than thru the day, maybe thru the week or thru the month. Work felt a lot less isolating. For her it was one pizza out of the box she kept at work, for me it was SOMEONE NOTICED AND CARED. Since then she also offered to get water for me every time she went to the water cooler for herself. Others would say 'if she can make it to work, she can make it to the water cooler' but she saw how exhausted I was just getting to my desk and didn't make my calculations, just offered to be nice. My daughter is 4 already and I've long moved on jobs, but I still remember her kindness.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:51 pm
My therapist sent me a pic of herself when we only did telephone therapy sessions during quarantine.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:52 pm
A friend sent me Shabbos after one of my births

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:54 pm
A lady at the emergency hospital I took my dog to let me go in front of her and her dog 🥺 I didn’t want to and told her no, it’s okay but she said her dog wasn’t in a dire situation and she could tell my dog was. I wanted to give her a hug but settled on as many thank yous as I could get out.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 5:17 pm
I don’t know if this counts because I’m talking about a non Jew here but I’m just so touched so sharing.
When I was newly married my cycles were messed up and my obgyn prescribed meds for me. My period showed up later than expected, and when I called my dr that it still hasn’t shown up he sent me for bloodwork to see if I’m pregnant. When he called me with the results that I wasn’t he started off by saying that he’s so sorry for me.
Another time at the office the receptionist offered me a drink (she must’ve thought I was pregnant lol)
This week I called the dr that the past 2 cycles were unusually short, he told me he’s so sorry for me. I know this sounds so petty, but when I’m in a vulnerable situation, it meant so much to me that my dr genuinely cared about me and felt bad

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 5:31 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I don’t know if this counts because I’m talking about a non Jew here but I’m just so touched so sharing.

Kindness always counts

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:08 pm
When I was sitting Shiva on a short Friday my wonderful friends came over and prepared for shabbos. Everything from making the beds to cleaning the kitchen. It was a kindness I will never forget

shaqued_almond

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:37 pm
There's several :
1) I was doing an art presentation and I was embarrassed by my work so I listed all the bad things. My teacher stopped me and told me to only tell us good things. It enabled me to actually see some nice and fun elements of what I did
2) a mashgiach came to kosherize my kitchen. I was only 18 at the time so I had little money. When he suggested a new $50 induction heat plate for me, I told him it would be too expensive for me. In the end he refused his payment for his services.
3) I got married in the US because my husband lived here. Unfortunately except for my mother, father and sister, I didn't know anyone in America. Two highschool girl groups heard about it and came to dance with me to make sure I wouldn't be sad.

momX4

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:47 pm
We recently went on a long car drive. dd needed to use the bathroom. we made a stop, unfortunately it was a small rest stoo. only one bathroom was clean and there was a line.

they all happily let my daughter go first.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:58 pm
These stories are so heartwarming to read.

I’m going to share something small, because I want to show how meaningful small actions can be.

My son was a jc in a day camp where there was one big bunk with a few counselors/JCs. On the last day of camp he came home with a delicious huge cinnamon bun that one of the moms had bought for all the counselors. He was so happy and really enjoyed it. I texted the mother to thank her and she said she would have loved to tip but there were too many counselors. She was the only one that gave anything. He was thrilled and felt so appreciated. It was so thoughtful of her to do something even though tipping was unrealistic.

If you’re reading this, thanks again Smile

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 10:53 pm
Btw, speaking about tipping counslers and staff members in camp, itcan become a big expense..
I realized that writing a beautiful note from the heart or making a personal phone call to Thank them profusely, can mean much more to them then money.
I've heard from teachers and staff members, that although they enjoy the money, they truly appreciate the note much more. It is more meaningful that money can express.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:30 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Btw, speaking about tipping counslers and staff members in camp, itcan become a big expense..
I realized that writing a beautiful note from the heart or making a personal phone call to Thank them profusely, can mean much more to them then money.
I've heard from teachers and staff members, that although they enjoy the money, they truly appreciate the note much more. It is more meaningful that money can express.

That’s why I thought this was so thoughtful. Last year, one of his campers wrote him a note. It was a little kid who could barely write but he loved it. I think the mother may have given a small tip too, which was of course appreciated, but he still talks about the note.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:45 pm
We moved to a new town, and I had mentioned to a lovely older lady I had been close to in our old town how nervous I was about the move.
The first Shabbos we were there came a knock on the door, and a man who lived down the street introduced us as the lady's brother in law. He told us she had sent him to check on us and we invited him in and had a friendly chat.
We had been feeling a bit lonely and felt so cared for by this special lady.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 11:47 pm
My son's preschool teacher sent us Challos when we move to a new house.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:26 am
Annon due to identifying details.
I was sitting shiva last week and a friend of mine that I reached out to was so kind to me.
She wasn't able to come in person, but said that she is here to support me fully, and even if it's on the phone it's okay if I just want her to stay with me in silence, it's okay for me to express emotion without words however I feel like and it's okay for me to share or not share whatever I want. She didn't ask me any specific questions. After a long time she asked if I would like to talk at all about the person who died. I did a bit and felt okay saying the truth. I have lots of complicated grief of a very troubled relationship we had. I didn't feel like I have to pretend the person was a saint when they weren't. She really gave me just what I needed in every way. If you are reading this my dear friend, thank you!
Another thing a few years ago I was seriously having suicidal thoughts. I was in a very bad place. There were a few times where I was in a dangerous place emotionally. And you wouldn't believe what memories came to my mind that made the difference to me between life and death. There was a building I had to go to about once a week. There was an elderly man at the entrance by a desk who had to check in everyone who walks in. He always smiled to me a genuine smile and gave me a warm greeting and blessing. Also, there was a cafe I ate in frequently. There was 1 woman who worked at the cashier who was very kind to me. Over time she got to know me and knew a little about me (like that I am a mom of kids). She always greeted me very warmly and even occasionally hugged me. She blessed me too and inquired on my wellbeing and about my kids. I felt it was genuine. To this day I don't know these people's names and I haven't seen them anytime recently. But the warm memories of those 2 people literally kept me alive. What's freaky is that the man at the entrance of the building retired very soon after my mental health improved a lot. It felt as if Hashem placed him there just when I needed him and then took him away.
Thanks to OP for starting this thread.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette