Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do Israeli girls do after High School?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:08 am
Do they go to seminary? Is that full time? Go to college?

I'm asking because we are thinking about aliya but would leave my oldest behind to finish HS. How will she make friends? How will she learn hebrew? What are her options?

Thanks so much!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:21 am
Depends on their hashkefa, how do you affiliate?

Success10

This differs depending on what community you align yourself with (Chareidi, American style Yeshivish, dati Leumi, Torani, etc...)

WitchKitty

What kind of Israeli?
Chareidi have seminary for 2 years.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:29 am
Dari leumi girls do national service or the army, some (many but not the majority) go to seminary/midrasha for the year before or after their service.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:31 am
Good question! We don't fit into any box so we have to choose.

Here in the US my daughter goes to BY type school but with a really high secular program (STEM, college courses in 12th grade). But we aren't yeshivish at all and certainly not israeli Chareidi.

This is so confusing!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:32 am
Success10 wrote:
This differs depending on what community you align yourself with (Chareidi, American style Yeshivish, dati Leumi, Torani, etc...)

What is the difference between DL and Torani?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There's a lot of discussion of this, but basically torani is more RW dati leumi (although others will contest this, but just trying to simplify for the sake of differentiating on a basic level).

yonabets

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:38 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
There's a lot of discussion of this, but basically torani is more RW dati leumi (although others will contest this, but just trying to simplify for the sake of differentiating on a basic level).

What is RW?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

In this case, torani girls would not go to the army, they would do national service (in appropriate settings) and sometimes would attend specific midrashot or college programs - most go straight to college, many women get married very young. I think sherut leumi should be a good option for your DD. I know there is a program you can do with other Anglo girls.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:50 am
chanchy123 wrote:
In this case, torani girls would not go to the army, they would do national service (in appropriate settings) and sometimes would attend specific midrashot or college programs - most go straight to college, many women get married very young. I think sherut leumi should be a good option for your DD. I know there is a program you can do with other Anglo girls.

I'm 'torani' and this is spot on. I think sherut leumi (national service) would be ideal for your daughter. And yes, you need to double check that it's anglo-friendly and an appropriate environment.

On an aside, I would not recommend going straight to a secular Israeli university. I attended Bar Ilan and while it's marketed as a 'religious'/traditional university, the atmosphere for religious students is not ideal at all. Even in the midrasha.

RW = right wing

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:54 am
Depending on the girl:

Seminary

Sheirut Leumi

Army

Work

University (though many only go after a few years of life experience)

Or some combination thereof.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do they go to seminary? Is that full time? Go to college?

I'm asking because we are thinking about aliya but would leave my oldest behind to finish HS. How will she make friends? How will she learn hebrew? What are her options?

Thanks so much!

The Israeli Bais Yaakov girls can either continue in their school for grades 13 and 14 to earn a certificate in the track they're interested in. They can also go to any other program - either just seminary, just 'charedi college', or a seminary college program.
My daughter is finishing 12th now and if we were coming from America, she'd go to an American seminary here where she'd fit in culturally.
(However, she was born here and doesn't want to continue in her school so we are looking into several different college-seminary programs.)

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:24 am
We are DL. My DD and all her friends did sherut leumi. Most did 1 year. Some did 2 years. Some went to midrasha after SL. DD is in Bar Ilan now. some of her friends did certificate programs and some are in university.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
The Israeli Bais Yaakov girls can either continue in their school for grades 13 and 14 to earn a certificate in the track they're interested in. They can also go to any other program - either just seminary, just 'charedi college', or a seminary college program.
My daughter is finishing 12th now and if we were coming from America, she'd go to an American seminary here where she'd fit in culturally.
(However, she was born here and doesn't want to continue in her school so we are looking into several different college-seminary programs.)

Someone else suggested sending her to an American seminary in Israel. First of all it is way too expensive. If we stay in the US I wouldn't be sending her because of the cost. Secondly, how will that help her adapt to Israeli society, make new friends and learn hebrew?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone else suggested sending her to an American seminary in Israel. First of all it is way too expensive. If we stay in the US I wouldn't be sending her because of the cost. Secondly, how will that help her adapt to Israeli society, make new friends and learn hebrew?

Would it be possible to delay her formal aliyah, then send her on a MASA program and get a subsidized midrasha? Although it won't help her Hebrew, you're right. I think for integration purposes, sherut leumi could be better.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Good question! We don't fit into any box so we have to choose.

Here in the US my daughter goes to BY type school but with a really high secular program (STEM, college courses in 12th grade). But we aren't yeshivish at all and certainly not israeli Chareidi.

This is so confusing!

I think sheirut Leumi in an area where there are many olim. (Ex: Yerushalayim) would be ideal.

What are your daughter's interests?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:36 am
What ever you choose , don't send her to the army ...
Definitely not for Bas Isroel ,
Girls are easily getting off the derech their .

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:46 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
What ever you choose , don't send her to the army ...
Definitely not for Bas Isroel ,
Girls are easily getting off the derech their .

Yes!

I volunteered for the army for a few months and the male soldiers jeered at one of the American girls who had a large chest, cat calling and talking loudly about her b00bs. They also informed us that female soldiers were known as 'mizronim' (ie mattresses)

Just my own personal experience.....

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:50 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Yes!

I volunteered for the army for a few months and the male soldiers jeered at one of the American girls who had a large chest, cat calling and talking loudly about her b00bs. They also informed us that female soldiers were known as 'mizronim' (ie mattresses)

Just my own personal experience.....

Ew. That is NOT standard behaviour. It sounds like you were among the worst kind of arsim. What unit were they from??

I don't recommend army in general for women, nor new olim, but not because of THAT.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions