Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do Israeli girls do after High School?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

2gether

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 2:07 pm
Why all the talk about Sheirut? She's a BY girl even though you probably aren't yeshivish
I don't think the goal is for her to integrate as much as to feel comfotable

So your options are:
-she's staying for HS, so continue staying afterwards and get a job/seminary/college etc.
-career train in Israel, like Masa something
-Isreali seminary, you mentioned it isn't in budget. There is one (maybe Chedvas? can't remember) that the Israeli girls sleep at home

She should do Ulpan seeing as she'll have the extra time

juggling

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 3:13 pm
Seminary isn't expensive for the israeli girls. It's expensive if you do the program for girls from chul. I think if she can find out about seminaries where israeli girls her type are going that would be a good thing to look into.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 3:35 pm
juggling wrote:
Seminary isn't expensive for the israeli girls. It's expensive if you do the program for girls from chul. I think if she can find out about seminaries where israeli girls her type are going that would be a good thing to look into.

I was thinking about something like this. Maybe at a seminary which has both Israeli and English speaking programmes. Then she could be registered in the Israeli programme, which is significantly cheaper, and she would be based there, but also have the option of taking g some classes with the American girls. That would give her a soft landing, with american company and a chance to integrate with the Israelis, but without any real pressure.

The flaw is that most places that have mixed programmes like this are more towards the torani/dati leumi end of the spectrum, rather than chareidi. On the other hand, you said that you weren't Israeli chareidi, so it might just suit you.

Success10

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 3:42 pm
Does Michlala still have both Israelies and American's on campus? I think that might suit the OP's hashkafa very well, if the girl is the intellectual type.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 3:58 pm
Does your dd want to make aliyah after hs?
If yes, what does she want to do?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 4:03 pm
Thank you everyone for your input! You all gave me plenty of ideas! I really appreciate it!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Does your dd want to make aliyah after hs?
If yes, what does she want to do?

She wants to make aliya. We just need to figure out what she can do.

mandksima

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 4:29 pm

I saw this a little while back. Anglo girls looking to do sherut leumi. It's worth looking into.

Also, there is a place in the Old City that looks for sherut girls. I saw this:
Love Jerusalem? Dreaming of the temple?
Come and do national service in the seminary for the knowledge of the temple.
Contact us at 02-9666177 or email yeda@hamikdash.org.il and we'll tell you more.

I'm not sure if the need Hebrew speaking girls there or not to be admitted.

Now, it happens to be I'm more on the Torani side but my dd is very adamant in serving as a frum girl in the army. She just finished high school and is BEH attending a midrasha that helps frum girls get placed in the army in certain programs and with other girls from the same place. I really wanted her to do sherut leumi she would only consider that as a last resort. At least she can learn Torah next year as they do tiyulim and find someplace suitable in the army, at least in her eyes. BTW, as an Israeli, midrasha costs around $3K including dorm and some food. Not like an American sem.

Her friends are quite mixed. Some do sherut, some do army. She knows my opinion but is an adult now.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 4:35 pm
mandksima wrote:
[img][670:800]
Her friends are quite mixed. Some do sherut, some do army. She knows my opinion but is an adult now.

This is exactly what I meant when I responded to a poster who said that her dds would DEFINITELY not do army.

In my girls' circles most do sherut, but there are quite a few who go to the army, and some of them are very Torani. (Some go with their parents' blessing. One Torani classmate has two very Torani parents who have top notch positions in the army and encouraged their dd to enlist).

Shuly

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 6:44 pm
An American BY girl would feel the most comfortable in a program like Chedvas or Michlala.

nylon

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:13 pm
I think you need to clarify your daughter's hashkafa a bit. Yes she's in a BY in the states but you say she's not yeshivish and the lines are different. Which way does she see herself going in Israel? If she's tzioni then yes, the DL/torani suggestions such as sherut leumi are very appropriate. If she is not tzioni and sees herself going more chareidi then she's looking at a different framework.

salt

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:00 am
2gether wrote:
Why all the talk about Sheirut? She's a BY girl even though you probably aren't yeshivish
I don't think the goal is for her to integrate as much as to feel comfotable

So your options are:
-she's staying for HS, so continue staying afterwards and get a job/seminary/college etc.
-career train in Israel, like Masa something
-Isreali seminary, you mentioned it isn't in budget. There is one (maybe Chedvas? can't remember) that the Israeli girls sleep at home

She should do Ulpan seeing as she'll have the extra time

I agree with this. I don't think an American BY graduate will do well in sherut leumi. She'll share an apartment with who know who - not all the Israeli girls that do sherut leumi are of a high religious standard - many of them are just about traditional, and their parents simply don't want them to go to the army.
I spoke to someone just last week who is a teacher, and she said there are 10 bnot sherut in her school, who sit around doing nothing all day- just playing with their phones and chatting.

I'm not saying all bnot sherut do nothing. But the ones that really put effort into their sherut are the serious frum dati leumi girls, and an American BY graduate is not likely to fit in with them.

I recommend she should go straight to college and start studying something.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:22 am
salt wrote:
I agree with this. I don't think an American BY graduate will do well in sherut leumi. She'll share an apartment with who know who - not all the Israeli girls that do sherut leumi are of a high religious standard - many of them are just about traditional, and their parents simply don't want them to go to the army.
I spoke to someone just last week who is a teacher, and she said there are 10 bnot sherut in her school, who sit around doing nothing all day- just playing with their phones and chatting.

I'm not saying all bnot sherut do nothing. But the ones that really put effort into their sherut are the serious frum dati leumi girls, and an American BY graduate is not likely to fit in with them.

I recommend she should go straight to college and start studying something.

Are you DL? These posts seem to come from women who are not part of the community and are judgmental towards it. As women who are part of the DL/Torani community we are trying to help OPs daughter have the best possible starting point in this world. Throughout the years I’ve me many women who went to BY schools and thrives in DL communities. Especially OOT schools, whose student body is not very different than DL - Torani girls schools here.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:23 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
When was this?
Thirty years ago, this was very common. Today, not so much. Metoo has moved into the army too, and women are not taking the same cr@p they used to.
I haven't heard the 'mizronim' slang for years and years.

FTR, many of the more frum dati leumi girls are davka going to the army in the past few years. It's a trend. My girls went to sherut leumi, but a few of their friends went to the army, and they were actually the more dati girls.

Not that I recommend the army for op's dd at all - it would be hard for her to fit in with her background. But for an Israeli dati girl who is strong in her convictions, it's fine if that's what she wants (and those girls aren't really asking anyone what to do anyway).

Just wanted to add that many of my friends' daughters are in the army with positions of importance in border security and remote intelligence. Others are doing more "soft" work in counseling troubled soldiers, administering tests to incoming recruits, training, etc.

These are all good, well-mannered DL young women.

It seems like a good way to learn practical skills, integrate into Israeli society, learn discipline, meet new people, take on responsibility, etc.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:27 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I attended Bar Ilan and while it's marketed as a 'religious'/traditional university, the atmosphere for religious students is not ideal at all. Even in the midrasha.

I know this is a side topic, but can you elaborate? I am curious about the atmosphere and quality of education at this university. I know one does not have to be dati to attend, but I understood there was a dati atmosphere on campus.

Success10

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:28 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Are you DL? These posts seem to come from women who are not part of the community and are judgmental towards it. As women who are part of the DL/Torani community we are trying to help OPs daughter have the best possible starting point in this world. Throughout the years I’ve me many women who went to BY schools and thrives in DL communities. Especially OOT schools, whose student body is not very different than DL - Torani girls schools here.

OP's situation doesn't cleanly fit into any Israeli category, and we know that Israeli society is very into categories. I would be interested to hear if OP's family (or the girl herself) has any Zionist leanings. If they do, then the DL path is clearly the way to go. But if not, then is it going to work to thrust her into an Israeli Tzioni environment? Right off of the boat, I might add?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:33 am
DrMom wrote:
I know this is a side topic, but can you elaborate? I am curious about the atmosphere and quality of education at this university. I know one does not have to be dati to attend, but I understood there was a dati atmosphere on campus.
There are all kinds of students but there is a big Dati social scene. They have shabbatonim, events surrounding chagim. My husband graduated from BA and his social circle who he’s kept in touch with throughout the years are all dati to some extent. While my social circle in Hebrew U was more of a mix. In Bar Ilan you’ll have many shiurim on campus and events geared towards the more religious students as well especially if you’re part of the kolel or midrasha. It’s not a frum school by any stretch but definitely has more of an atmosphere.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:35 am
Success10 wrote:
OP's situation doesn't cleanly fit into any Israeli category, and we know that Israeli society is very into categories. I would be interested to hear if OP's family (or the girl herself) has any Zionist leanings. If they do, then the DL path is clearly the way to go. But if not, then is it going to work to thrust her into an Israeli Tzioni environment? Right off of the boat, I might add?

I’m pretty sure OP wrote in one of her earlier posts that they are tziyoni and are looking to fit into the Torani community.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:38 am
Sigh. I'm leaving this thread, as I think it's served its purpose.

OP, I attended MHS for high school, and LBY for elementary. After seminary and a year of university, I made Aliyah alone straight into sheirut leumi, and I think sheirut leumi can be an excellent entrance into Israeli society for a BY-background girl, though there are aspects of my sheirut that I would have done differently, in retrospect.

If it's relevant, feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to go into further detail.

essie14

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:41 am
DrMom wrote:
Just wanted to add that many of my friends' daughters are in the army with positions of importance in border security and remote intelligence. Others are doing more "soft" work in counseling troubled soldiers, administering tests to incoming recruits, training, etc.

These are all good, well-mannered DL young women.

It seems like a good way to learn practical skills, integrate into Israeli society, learn discipline, meet new people, take on responsibility, etc.

Agree 100%. I know many young women who are currently serving. Some of the info on this thread does not seem applicable to 2020.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions