Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Did you delete whatsapp?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:48 pm
I don't want my kids having it when they get older and I don't like it either. But it's also convenient.

Did you delete it?

Simcha36

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:50 pm
is there one phone everyone shares? please clarify your question.
kids have access to parents device? (why?)

busy mommy

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:59 pm
Best thing I ever did! Yes I miss out on some news and such but the trade off was much better

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:59 pm
I will never delete whatsapp. The school bus chats save my mornings!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:00 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
is there one phone everyone shares? please clarify your question.
kids have access to parents device? (why?)

No it's my phone. I just want to lead by example.

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:01 pm
No, I just use it in a way that works for me. I'm not part of any groups other than my family one where my siblings and I send pictures and videos of our kids, and I don't look at people's statuses because they tend to stress me out. I don't have a profile picture, and I don't look at other's profile pictures either, for the same reason.

It's a tool like any other. No need to not use a car just because a car can be misused to kill people or drive to strip clubs. Recognize your values and act upon them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:03 pm
busy mommy wrote:
Best thing I ever did! Yes I miss out on some news and such but the trade off was much better

I have a chat with sibs and parents. They would be upset at me. DH is on it (he looks at WhatsApp like twice a week), so I could see it there on occasion. But they wouldn't get it at all.

And there are other issues too... But I still might.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No it's my phone. I just want to lead by example.
So take the dive! So many times I tell myself, that I should control myself with one thing so that my children down the line will be able to control themselves from other things. So, you're really unto something here!
Good luck op! and may you go from strength to strength!!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:25 pm
My WhatsApp is like text and I'm not on any groups.
Everything can be good or bad depending on how you use it.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:49 pm
What's wrong with WhatsApp? It's a useful tool for families and other people (car pool, school, etc) to communicate. Like email but more streamlined. I don't know what "groups" are, but if they bother you, don't use that feature.

happyness

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:52 pm
I did
Suddenly had so much more time in my day...and my kids seemed so much more interesting and adorable

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:56 pm
I will not delete whatsapp because we teach our children to take things that are "parve" and use them in a kosher way.
Just like we use library books in a kosher way, and only read clean books, we only vacation in proper environments, we wear clothing and makeup in a proper way, we also use our technology in a kosher way.

My whatsapp chat is used for tehillim, shidduchim, catching my kids' bus, staying in touch with my highschool class, staying in touch with my family and staying in touch with my friends.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:57 pm
I deleted it at some point but then realized that for me personally it was just a way to cut out of society, I wasn't using text to replace it, I just didn't communicate with people.
I don't see whatsapp as addictive or anything else negative about it, it's just a communication app to communicate with people already in your life, esp family overseas that you may not see very often.

I actually just told my daughter about it so she can use it to video call her grandfather and it's really helping them build/mantain connection.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:59 pm
I deleted it because it was taking up way too much of my time and then I found Imamother which is also hogging all my free time Can't Believe It

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:01 pm
I chose not to ever get whatsapp because I'm the type to be on it all day. I'd constantly scroll through chats and look at people profile pics. Someone upthread said she isn't on any groups...how is that possible? I know if I had it I would be expected to be on my sibilings chat, cousins chat, girl cousins chat, hs chat, kid's playgroup and class chats, seminary chat, block chat and those are just the ones I'd have to be on. I could imagine I'd choose to be on more.

Yes my self control is terrible but knowing myself right now I can't have it. Maybe one day...

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:13 pm
I got rid of my smartphone for a 'dumb' phone and it was the best thing I ever did. I didn't want to be the kind of mother who spent her time looking entranced at a phone screen instead of being available to my kids. If I need the computer, I open my laptop (and even that is a waste of time 99% of the time, between news and, ahem, imamother).

Sometimes my DD's gannenet wants to send something or notify via whatsapp. I know to be in contact with her regular by phone and she can always email necessary info. I've never 'missed out'.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I chose not to ever get whatsapp because I'm the type to be on it all day. I'd constantly scroll through chats and look at people profile pics. Someone upthread said she isn't on any groups...how is that possible? I know if I had it I would be expected to be on my sibilings chat, cousins chat, girl cousins chat, hs chat, kid's playgroup and class chats, seminary chat, block chat and those are just the ones I'd have to be on. I could imagine I'd choose to be on more.

Yes my self control is terrible but knowing myself right now I can't have it. Maybe one day...

Ok, that would be me. I have a family chat, which we use to make sure whoever is at the store gets milk, and when needed other group chats to organize rides and the like. I can't imagine how this could be time consuming (it's a lot more efficient than in the olden days, leaving messages and playing phone tag). It's just texting, only better for multi-way conversations. People are making reference to other kinds of groups, and I don't even know what they are.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:21 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Ok, that would be me. I have a family chat, which we use to make sure whoever is at the store gets milk, and when needed other group chats to organize rides and the like. I can't imagine how this could be time consuming (it's a lot more efficient than in the olden days, leaving messages and playing phone tag). It's just texting, only better for multi-way conversations. People are making reference to other kinds of groups, and I don't even know what they are.

It's probably a type. My family uses the chats mostly for just chit chat, funny stories, pics, and other time wasters for me. Once in a while there will be useful convos. Again I'm not saying I think there is something wrong with it. I'm saying I know I would waste my life away. I also need to get a dumb phone but that's a different discussion.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:59 pm
I wont delete whatsapp. I use it to stay in contact with my family mostly. But Im in a few groups like my daughter's class group or our housing units group (units built together so we started a group during the build and it continued now as a "does anyone have xyz"?) or our yishuv group for yishuv news etc.
But thats all I use it for.
My daughter also has a phone and it has whatsapp (most girls her age have phones already, at least in Israel).
We look at her whatsapp and her phone all of the time. I know what groups she is in (bnei akiva group, class group, things like that. All kosher)
As long as its not consuming all of our time (which it is completely not for myself). The majority of groups are on mute and I look at my phone when I feel like it. I am not a slave to my phone. And my daughter knows that she is not allowed to be on her phone all day and she is not.
As long as whatsapp is really just another form of text messaging, I really dont see the big deal.

nchr

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:28 pm
Isn't whatsapp like texting on a phone but allows pictures to use wifi instead of data?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics