Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
"Grandma" or otherwise weird names
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:34 pm
I'm American but live in Israel and I don't know naming trends. But in America, for example, you "can't" name your baby Mildred or Ethel or Gertrude or Irving or Albert or Harold because they are so old fashioned.

Are there any Israeli equivalents? I read (I think on imamother) that Tuvia and Yocheved might qualify because of characters called Saba Tuvia and Savta Yocheved. And I don't mind Israelis thinking "frummie" or "Chareidi" as I'm sure they will if we use, say, Avraham (which is a contender). I just don't want to saddle my kid with the Israeli equivalent of Gertrude.

What do people think of Avraham, Aryeh, Aharon, Binyamin, Chaim, Dovid, Eliezer, Elimelech, Elisha, Elishama, Ezra, Gedalia, Hillel, Kalev, Matanya, Meir, Nachshon, Nissim, Ovadia, Psachya, Shealtiel, Shmaryahu, Shmuel, Tzfania, Yehuda, Yishai, Yona, Yoel, Yoshiyahu, Zvi?

Or Ahuva, Avigayil, Batsheva, Batya, Bracha, Chana, Chaya, Devora, Elisheva, Emuna, Gila, Hadassah, Leah, Liba, Miriam, Nechama, Nesya, Rivka, Rochel, Ruchama, Rus, Sara, Shifra, Shoshana, Tehilla, Tirtza, Tova, Tzila, Tzipora, Yehudis?

Be nice, please, because some of these names are already in use by other members of the family including myself and my older children, but I'm looking for things like "____ is a grandma name, don't use it" or "____ was popular in the 70s and is dated now " (like Jennifer in America) or "Only Sefardim use Ovadia" or "Only Satmar uses Yoel" or "Only dati leumi uses Emuna" (all of the above only if true, obviously).

Any thoughts on the above lists? Thank you!

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm American but live in Israel and I don't know naming trends. But in America, for example, you "can't" name your baby Mildred or Ethel or Gertrude or Irving or Albert or Harold because they are so old fashioned.

Are there any Israeli equivalents? I read (I think on imamother) that Tuvia and Yocheved might qualify because of characters called Saba Tuvia and Savta Yocheved. And I don't mind Israelis thinking "frummie" or "Chareidi" as I'm sure they will if we use, say, Avraham (which is a contender). I just don't want to saddle my kid with the Israeli equivalent of Gertrude.

What do people think of Avraham, Aryeh, Aharon, Binyamin, Chaim, Dovid, Eliezer, Elimelech, Elisha, Elishama, Ezra, Gedalia, Hillel, Kalev, Matanya, Meir, Nachshon, Nissim, Ovadia, Psachya, Shealtiel, Shmaryahu, Shmuel, Tzfania, Yehuda, Yishai, Yona, Yoel, Yoshiyahu, Zvi?

Or Ahuva, Avigayil, Batsheva, Batya, Bracha, Chana, Chaya, Devora, Elisheva, Emuna, Gila, Hadassah, Leah, Liba, Miriam, Nechama, Nesya, Rivka, Rochel, Ruchama, Rus, Sara, Shifra, Shoshana, Tehilla, Tirtza, Tova, Tzila, Tzipora, Yehudis?

Be nice, please, because some of these names are already in use by other members of the family including myself and my older children, but I'm looking for things like "____ is a grandma name, don't use it" or "____ was popular in the 70s and is dated now " (like Jennifer in America) or "Only Sefardim use Ovadia" or "Only Satmar uses Yoel" or "Only dati leumi uses Emuna" (all of the above only if true, obviously).

Any thoughts on the above lists? Thank you!

My daughter is Ethel plus a middle name. I’m American but I wasn’t told I can’t name her so. Sad

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:41 pm
Gedalia is my FIL and dads name. I don’t see this common nowadays. Same with Nesya and Tirtza. The latter a grandma name. (Sorry!!! These are my honest thoughts)

Emunah is Dati Leumi name. Matanya, Nissim, Shealrtiel, Shmaryahu, Tzfania, Elishama, Tzila, and Gila are not common names I’ve heard in the Chreidi community. I’ve never heard of them at all.

Yehudis will be Yeudit here. And Rus will be Root.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:42 pm
As you said, Ovadiah tends to be associated with sephardim because of HaRav Ovadiah Yosef, but I think I've met people with almost all of those names.

In a culture which tends to focus on names of biblical origin, and naming after deceased relatives, its hard for names to become old fashioned. Yiddish names are less commonly used, and a baby may be given a hebrew equivalent (eg, Shoshana instead of Raizl, or Ayala instead of Hinda).

Last edited by Elfrida on Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Rose

Yeah, and my 4 year old is Ernest

LovesHashem

Ovadia is sephardi

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:44 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My daughter is Ethel plus a middle name. I’m American but I wasn’t told I can’t name her so. Sad

Oh, totally no offense meant to anyone with those names! I'd use some of the ones I listed, too, if I lived in America and knew what I was getting into. And, living in Israel, I'd probably use what I have in mind regardless. I just want to know what I'm getting into beforehand and not find out when my kid is five that I saddled him with an old or dated name, or specific to one group, or weird storybook character or whatever.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:46 pm
Shprintza is all I can think of

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Gedalia is my FIL and dads name. I don’t see this common nowadays. Same with Nesya and Tirtza. The latter a grandma name. (Sorry!!! These are my honest thoughts)

Emunah is Dati Leumi name. Matanya, Nissim, Shealrtiel, Shmaryahu, Tzfania, Elishama, Tzila, and Gila are not common names I’ve heard in the Chreidi community. I’ve never heard of them at all.

Yehudis will be Yeudit here. And Rus will be Root.

Ooh, see I had no idea that Tirtza is a grandma name! This is the kind of thing I want to know, thank you!

Nissim isn't common? Even after Rav Nissim Karelitz?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:49 pm
My friends sister is called Tirtza. She must be thirty, at the oldest.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:50 pm
There has been a revival of Maude, Matilda, George, Leopold types in the secular world but you need to know which so you don't make the grandma mistake (I.e. give Shirley instead of Maude) so Israel may have something similar.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Feb 04 2022, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:50 pm
Tzirel?
I love the name tho
Kaila

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 6:53 pm
nchr wrote:
There has been a revival of Maude, Matilda, George, Leopold types in the secular world but you need to know which so you don't make the grandma mistake (I.e. give Shirley instead of Maude) so Israel may have something similar.

Exactly! This is what I'm trying to get at, thank you.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:06 pm
One of my teenaged grandsons in Israel is named Matanya.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:11 pm
I know 4 Ashkenazi (Litvish Yeshivish) young men named Ovadya/Ovadia/Ovadyah.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:13 pm
charedi litvish people are not into yiddish names.

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:13 pm
Nothing wrong with tirtza

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:21 pm
bsy wrote:
Nothing wrong with tirtza

Nothing wrong but if you have an option like Ruth or Tehilla I'd rather go with something like that. I like Devorah, Tziporah and Tova and even Leeba too but that's just me.

From the boys list I like Tzvi, Aryeh and Yona a lot.

bsy

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Nothing wrong but if you have an option like Ruth or Tehilla I'd rather go with something like that. I like Devorah, Tziporah and Tova and even Leeba too but that's just me.

She asked about trends, not personal opinions. I dont see tirtza as a grandma or dated name

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 7:25 pm
bsy wrote:
She asked about trends, not personal opinions. I dont see tirtza as a grandma or dated name

Maybe. I only know 2 Tirtzas and they're both not old but not like given in the last 20 years. (One is 50 and one is 30. It could also be though because it's just not a name in my Bais Yakov community. I'm in my 20s and there wasn't even one girl in my High School going by that name.)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names