Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tampa, Florida Who’s Relocating?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:32 am
Anyone read about it in the Ami? I’m so tempted. Do you think this will work out? Will mostly young couples go for it? How about for families with teens, did we miss the boat?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:57 am
I would love to hear more info if anyone has! Tia!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Anyone read about it in the Ami? I’m so tempted. Do you think this will work out? Will mostly young couples go for it? How about for families with teens, did we miss the boat?

I think it's all ages looking into it.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:00 am
I read it too, and became tempted to move there.
I actually called up Rebetzin Tausig to ask her some technical questions.
Btw, Do a search here on Tampa here on the forum.. its already discussed much. There alot of information on the other threads.
I asked her information about:
Having a special needs child. There's no school or programs as of yet.
Child with a medical issue, who needs top doctors.
Having a Child with a learning disability.

So there's nothing there yet. They are starting step one.

It will be a mix of all chasidus. all ages, especially young families. Good job opportunities because there's nothing kosher or established as of now. Low taxes, inexpensive nice houses...

But, you're a flight away of family. You and your kids will miss simchas, events, get-togethers. Remember purim without extended family.

I think it boils down to potential jobs and affordable housing.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:15 am
In a gated community there are condo fees so check out what these are. These can increase if the community needs improvement or is hit with a lawsuit or if the price of the amenities offered goes up. It's a lot like a bungalow colony in this respect.

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:01 am
I read the article in Ami and was not impressed.

I don’t know anyone who is afraid to go out in New York, and there haven’t been any pogroms. Yes, New York has higher taxes than most states, but New York also provides more services than most. (That’s why many people with special needs kids move here.) How does anyone think the city and state are paying for the very generous social programs, which are availed of by the frum community (as much or more than any other)? How do they think school bussing, lunches, after-school programs, SYEP, special education services, etc. are paid for? Do they really think they can move en masse to a location and expect to have their schooling and services paid for without huge tax increases? (Look what is happening in Rockland County and Lakewood, etc.)?

I found the ideas expressed in this article to be superficial and misleading, and while I wish them well with the move, it doesn’t appear to be especially well thought out. My advice is to look at it as a sales pitch - and caveat emptor.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:06 am
I found the title on the Ami cover upsetting,
‘Leaving hostile New York for friendly Florida’
Anybody else bothered by this title?
And If I remember correctly the Floridians on here were pretty hostile to New Yorkers who wanted to visit recently!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:08 am
I didn't read the article but from what I understand it's in the very beginning stages and they don't know if it will actually happen....

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:12 am
You're right. So far its still deserted.
They are starting to build houses now, and hope to create the basics like schooling, shul, grocery. They hope its going to work out.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
And If I remember correctly the Floridians on here were pretty hostile to New Yorkers who wanted to visit recently!

I don't find NY to be so hostile and I don't find Florida to be friendly.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:14 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

I don't think Floridians are generally hostile to New Yorkers. At the time, Covid was rampant in NY and FL was relatively ok. Naturally, Floridians didn't want people from NY visiting. Would you want people coming from FL (where the spread is currently very bad) visiting where you live right now?

I don't want to turn this into a political thread but have you seen riots and looting and a crazy uptick in crime in NY the last 2 months? Yes. Is that happening in FL? No.

So indeed, at the moment NY is hostile and FL is calm in comparison.

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:46 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I don't think Floridians are generally hostile to New Yorkers. At the time, Covid was rampant in NY and FL was relatively ok. Naturally, Floridians didn't want people from NY visiting. Would you want people coming from FL (where the spread is currently very bad) visiting where you live right now?

I don't want to turn this into a political thread but have you seen riots and looting and a crazy uptick in crime in NY the last 2 months? Yes. Is that happening in FL? No.

So indeed, at the moment NY is hostile and FL is calm in comparison.

I think the rioting, looting, and crazy uptick in crime has been overplayed in some media, as I haven’t seen any rioting or looting in the frum neighborhoods, or heard about a significant uptick in crime. . . Again, nobody I know is afraid to walk around in New York, and I don’t see why it should be described as “hostile” . . .

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:53 am
I'm not afraid to walk around in boro park. However, I and majority new Yorkers, are afraid to go to Manhattan. Its literally deserted. And that's where the base of shopping and business is.

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:59 am
I don’t know you, but I don’t know anyone else, who is afraid to go to Manhattan. I have driven through it pretty recently, and it is not deserted. I would love to see proof that a “majority of New Yorkers are afraid to go to Manhattan.” (I haven’t even heard of anything going on there, at this time. . .) I have walked in areas like a Prospect Park, which are beautiful, full of people, and feel perfectly safe . . .

Edited to add: Manhattan is a bit emptier due to the Pandemic restrictions - but not because people are afraid to walk around there. . .

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 12:27 pm
I read the article and it sounds great! I hope it’s very successful.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 12:49 pm
Mothers wrote:
I don’t know you, but I don’t know anyone else, who is afraid to go to Manhattan. I have driven through it pretty recently, and it is not deserted. I would love to see proof that a “majority of New Yorkers are afraid to go to Manhattan.” (I haven’t even heard of anything going on there, at this time. . .) I have walked in areas like a Prospect Park, which are beautiful, full of people, and feel perfectly safe . . .

Edited to add: Manhattan is a bit emptier due to the Pandemic restrictions - but not because people are afraid to walk around there. . .

I have to agree with saddlebrown. We cancelled our trip to Manhattan. There's no police presence there and it scares me to go.

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 12:57 pm
Guess I don’t know you either. I would not be at all scared to go to Manhattan. (In fact we’re hoping to go later this week.) I have not heard of any crimes against individuals or of individuals being attacked or harassed. Do you have knowledge of specific incidents, or is it just your general feeling?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 1:00 pm
Mothers wrote:
Guess I don’t know you either. I would not be at all scared to go to Manhattan. (In fact we’re hoping to go later this week.) I have not heard of any crimes against individuals or of individuals being attacked or harassed. Do you have knowledge of specific incidents, or is it just your general feeling?

It's not specific incidents, just a general feeling.
Perhaps scared was the wrong word but I'm definitely wary.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 1:04 pm
Mothers wrote:
I read the article in Ami and was not impressed.

I don’t know anyone who is afraid to go out in New York, and there haven’t been any pogroms. Yes, New York has higher taxes than most states, but New York also provides more services than most. (That’s why many people with special needs kids move here.) How does anyone think the city and state are paying for the very generous social programs, which are availed of by the frum community (as much or more than any other)? How do they think school bussing, lunches, after-school programs, SYEP, special education services, etc. are paid for? Do they really think they can move en masse to a location and expect to have their schooling and services paid for without huge tax increases? (Look what is happening in Rockland County and Lakewood, etc.)?

I found the ideas expressed in this article to be superficial and misleading, and while I wish them well with the move, it doesn’t appear to be especially well thought out. My advice is to look at it as a sales pitch - and caveat emptor.

This exactly. Do your research accordingly! Floridians are pretty adamant about taxes being raised, why do think it's so popular for retirees? And without high taxes, very few programs. NYers have gotten somewhat spoiled in that regard, especially when it comes to money for frum schools, special ed services, and busing. Definitely no Youth Corp money (like some were complaining about for just this summer).

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 1:04 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I'm not afraid to walk around in boro park. However, I and majority new Yorkers, are afraid to go to Manhattan. Its literally deserted. And that's where the base of shopping and business is.

I'm not afraid to go to Manhattan nor is Manhattan deserted. I don't know anyone who is afraid to go to Manhattan. I haven't heard of any uptake in crime in Manhattan. (Besides for the riots). Though I am afraid (and have always been afraid) to go to Harlem and the Bronx.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics