Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood free lunch/food box question
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:57 am
I have a question about the Lakewood free lunches and food boxes. Is it for anyone at all or do you need to be associated with that school? We will be visiting Lakewood and staying at my in-laws house and it's hard for them to cook so much for us. Are we able to go somewhere and get a box? What days of the week are they available?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a question about the Lakewood free lunches and food boxes. Is it for anyone at all or do you need to be associated with that school? We will be visiting Lakewood and staying at my in-laws house and it's hard for them to cook so much for us. Are we able to go somewhere and get a box? What days of the week are they available?
Not unless you're moving to Lakewood.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:15 am
It's for NJ school children.

keym

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:21 am
If you are from NJ (even not Lakewood) I think it's fine.
Not if you're from a different state.
This program is to feed NJ children, not to give a more convenient vacation so Bubby doesn't have to cook.
Without criticizing, I would recommend that you take over the cooking that is overwhelming your mother in law.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:26 am
Michael Inzelbuch said it's for students of the Lakewood school district and their little siblings.
OP you can just order prepared food from the grocery. There's no home cooked food in the box, I promise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:38 am
keym wrote:
If you are from NJ (even not Lakewood) I think it's fine.
Not if you're from a different state.
This program is to feed NJ children, not to give a more convenient vacation so Bubby doesn't have to cook.
Without criticizing, I would recommend that you take over the cooking that is overwhelming your mother in law.

Oh, don't worry it doesn't overwhelm her. She doesn't cook. It's on me to figure it out in a strange kitchen after I packed up my house for a few days straight and then drove basically an entire day with A full car and we're exhausted.

I was just asking and it can't hurt to ask. No need to be rude. Of course I help. But their home is cluttered and its so hard to cook there. I do it anyway, but I have a hard time doing so much.. My kids are more bored and need me much more. They sleep in the playroom bc its a small house and its hard to play. Long ago I realized that if I spend too much time helping in the kitchen, we all suffer. I started most helping at night after my kids r in bed (being that there is no door on the tiny den/pr they sleep in, it's pretty late). My mil can't cook much for us and it gets hard for me to. I am trying to bring some frozen food in a cooler. I was just wondering. Can't I wonder for a minute about all this amazing sounding food I have been reading about for months?

What would have been really bad as if I hadn't asked and just went and took food! I'm trying to do this the right way and that's why I even asked.

I didn't know if maybe non NJ ppl could have . you don't have to be so rude. The other posters just answered nicely. I'm pretty mellow, but you really jumped the gun and judged me badly. When you come to your senses, I'm expecting am apology. Embarrssing someone in public is a big aveirah. Good for you that I was only anonymous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Michael Inzelbuch said it's for students of the Lakewood school district and their little siblings.
OP you can just order prepared food from the grocery. There's no home cooked food in the box, I promise.

NP. Sure. Just asking a question.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:41 am

I believe it's all of NJ. I live in Jackson and have been getting Lakewood boxes and so do all my neighbors.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:47 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I believe it's all of NJ. I live in Jackson and have been getting Lakewood boxes and so do all my neighbors.
I'm guessing your kids don't go to school in Jackson?

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:49 am
Let us know if you need some takeout ideas as there are many options here. Enjoy your trip!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:51 am
OP here's what comes in the box:
Frozen fish sticks
Frozen mozarella sticks
Frozen pizza
Frozen blintzes (cheese and potato)
Frozen knishes
A frozen pan of baked ziti
A frozen potato kugel

When I say frozen I mean it's supposed to be frozen, by the time we get it it's often defrosted and we have to refreeze.

Then there's
Unpeeled cucumbers and cherry tomatoes
A box of cereal (cheerios, Rice Krispies, sometimes fruit loops which I hate, I really don't buy food coloring things but my kids love)
Just order the same from the grocery, bonus it'll probably be in better shape.
I'm NOT complaining! But honestly the only reason why I take the food is for financial reasons. There's nothing healthy about it.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:09 am
Maybe ask directly from the distributors? I find sometimes you get better and straighter answers IRL than online where people are eager to give their personal opinions.

I agree that most of the stuff distributed you can get in a grocery. And if you live a day's drive away, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the prices and availability of decent food in Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:18 am
Simple1 wrote:
Maybe ask directly from the distributors? I find sometimes you get better and straighter answers IRL than online where people are eager to give their personal opinions.

I agree that most of the stuff distributed you can get in a grocery. And if you live a day's drive away, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by the prices and availability of decent food in Lakewood.

I'm the one who made a thread about a park outside of Lakewood where we could go and do social distancing. We're not going into Lakewood stores where were indoors and the people are mostly not wearing masks.

Also after spending so much money on gas, it's hard to go buy a lot of prepared foods, financially.

It's fine. We never starved in the past.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:18 am
I'm guessing your kids don't go to school in Jackson?

No, but they "belong" to the Jackson school district - Jackson gives busing and textbook money and so on. And my neighbor with a 3 yr old who isn't in any school also gets boxes from Lakewood schools.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:29 am
To clarify this is what I believe the program in all cities to be:

It’s a mostly federally funded program. The cities can and do kick in some of the cost to increase the payment per meal- so it’s for the kids who go to school in that area (I presume they count school numbers plus some extras). If you are from out of state, you don’t qualify for food distribution in a city/county, certainly not a state, that’s not your own.

The cost of life is tough- and the food boxes are very helpful. But I don’t think you qualify for another city’s/state’s meal program. That’s not to say that you will be stopped from picking it up, but you probably shouldn’t be trying to unless you get permission from the program administrators. And even then, it may mean that you are taking meals that other city residents may then be turned away from when they run out

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:35 am
I’m really sorry for your predicament.
But getting a box of food from a school won’t solve your food issues. Its not a ton of food. It allows me to supplement here and there. But it’s a small lunch. And just for kids not adults . Not supper. (Like pizza on wheels gives juice box, garlic knot, muffin, and cereal box)
Do you have a plan for food for yourselves or other meals?
Pizzas are 8.99-10.99 a pie at some stores - it’s contactless pickup.
Many stores have websites with food delivery of $100 non sale items
Honestly your going to need a plan for food besides for the box even if you get one.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:12 am
Relax everyone. I got my answer. That's why I asked bc I thought we may not able to get.

We will be fine.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Relax everyone. I got my answer. That's why I asked bc I thought we may not able to get.

We will be fine.

People just love to tell you what you are ABSOLUTELY NOT ENTITLED TO on this site. Don't take it personally.

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:19 am
groovy1224 wrote:
People just love to tell you what you are ABSOLUTELY NOT ENTITLED TO on this site. Don't take it personally.

Yeah. And that's why I suggested she ask IRL. The answer might still be no, but at least it will be more true to life.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:22 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
No, but they "belong" to the Jackson school district - Jackson gives busing and textbook money and so on. And my neighbor with a 3 yr old who isn't in any school also gets boxes from Lakewood schools.
So maybe people are taking who aren't really entitled? Or maybe the rules changed. I just remember when it all started that they were very clear it was for students of the Lakewood school district and their younger kids.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries