Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
“Camp is not a luxury. It is a necessity.”
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:42 am
I received an email requesting donations for a camp because they operated at a loss this summer. It doesn’t bother me that they sent out the email for donations even if I won’t be donating. But seriously? No it is not a necessity. I know this has been discussed many times here, but this line which was written in the email just really got to me.

What’s next?

“Monthly massages are not a luxury. They’re a necessity.”

“Brand name clothing for my kids from Jewish stores are not a luxury. They’re a necessity.”

“Expensive furniture for my engaged children is not a luxury. It’s a necessity.

“A Doona is not a luxury. It’s a necessity.”

I have no problem with anyone who treats themself to any luxuries. I quite enjoy some of these for myself. But recognize it for what it is.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I received an email requesting donations for a camp because they operated at a loss this summer. It doesn’t bother me that they sent out the email for donations even if I won’t be donating. But seriously? No it is not a necessity. I know this has been discussed many times here, but this line which was written on the email just really got to me.

What’s next?

“Brand name clothing for my kids from Jewish stores are not a luxury. They’re a necessity.”

I have no problem with anyone who treats themself to any luxuries. I quite enjoy some of these for myself. But recognize it for what it is.

Amen, sister!

I hope you have your rotten-tomato-proof raincoat on, because there is a huge number of posters here who will disagree with you (but probably not under their screen names.)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I received an email requesting donations for a camp because they operated at a loss this summer. It doesn’t bother me that they sent out the email for donations even if I won’t be donating. But seriously? No it is not a necessity. I know this has been discussed many times here, but this line which was written on the email just really got to me.

What’s next?

This camp always operates Not for profit.
They charge $1300 a kid - the cost of many day camps. (This year they charged an extra $300 to offset extra expenses)

I know this conversation will not go in a good direction. But for many kids it was a neccesity. I know kids that walked across the rainbow bridge carrying their luggage to get to camp.
My son desperately needed camp.
The local hang outs in town are overflowing with good kids with no entertainment and at a loss of what to do with themselves.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:50 am
While I don’t agree with this camp’s marketing strategy, we have in the past contributed to funds that help pay privately for children who cannot afford Sleepaway camp.

I am a very big advocate for Sleepaway camp and yes for many many teenagers it is a necessity. Especially this year coming off of months and months of no structure.

Blessing1

Camp is not a comparison to any of the other things you listed. Camp is vital and necessary for many kids.

amother
OP

amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
This camp always operates Not for profit.
They charge $1300 a kid - the cost of many day camps. (This year they charged an extra $300 to offset extra expenses)

That’s nice that they provide a luxury at a low cost to those who otherwise can’t afford it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s nice that they provide a luxury at a low cost to those who otherwise can’t afford it.

OP, do you have teenagers?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

Yup.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

They normally do one trip max. It’s a very low key program compared to other camps. But the boys love it without all the extras.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:53 am
I would say it's usually a luxury but this year it was pretty important. Kids were home for a long time and needed it. Also for working parents they need camp.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:54 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
They normally do one trip max. It’s a very low key program compared to other camps. But the boys love it without all the extras.

Again that’s all very nice, but camp still does not fall under the category of necessities.

Off the top of my head is food, clothing, housing, schooling, loving parents.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:56 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I would say it's usually a luxury but this year it was pretty important. Kids were home for a long time and needed it. Also for working parents they need camp.

A younger child can go to day camp. An older child can get a job. I think camp is great for kids who want to go. I think a lot of things are great. They still don’t fall under the category of necessity.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Again that’s all very nice, but camp still does not fall under the category of necessities.

Off the top of my head is food, clothing, housing, schooling, loving parents.

So maybe this falls under schooling. (The boys learn 1/2 day or more there). Safety. Supervision. Mental health. Stability.

Simple1

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:

I have.
It didn't work our for them to go this summer even though they wanted to go. They survived, I hope.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A younger child can go to day camp. An older child can get a job. I think camp is great for kids who want to go. I think a lot of things are great. They still don’t fall under the category of necessity.

The older boys that go to this camp go to school programs that are 7am -10pm. Some need an outlet.
If you aren’t familiar with the crowd it’s not fair to judge.
They do have a large working staff of boys - and no one is paid.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:59 am
Btw there are probably some children from dysfunctional homes or the like for whom getting away from home is a necessity. That still does not mean that camp itself is a necessity for the average child, which is what this email implied.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yup.

What did your teens and pre-teens do this summer?
How much did you spend on their summer vacation?

Sometimes there is an attitude only kids of families that are rich can send kids to camp. Or go on vacation.

Here someone came up with. Solution that kids of all economic backgrounds can experience camp regardless for cost of day amp.

There were a lot of unexpected costs that came up with the new grounds they rented.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:00 am
It’s a necessity for some kids and not for others. Depends on the child and his situation.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:01 am
Im sorry but kids do not NEED camp. If parents work, young kids need a structure day with someone essentially taking care of them while parents are out at work. But once kids can take care of themselves there is no NEED. It is definitely better to have that structure, but I think the majority of kids will be fine.
In isrsel that is the norm. Smaller kids have camps until 9 av, depending on when it falls during the summet. But older kids, lets say 11,12 and older learn to hang out and make their oen summer. Some find jobs, sone watch tv all day. But camps are NOT A NECESSITY. They are something great if possible.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 9:01 am
I agree with you OP. I do not think camp is a necessity no matter which way you slice it.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children