Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New COVID-19 cases in Orthodox communities elicit concern
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:41 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Walking around outdoors is a low risk activity. Spending a whole day indoors davening on YK with visitors from other cities, extended families coming together for sukkah, those are much higher risk activities.

My older neighbors have been going to kids, hosting oot children, davening in minyan. (I’m not sure it’s so smart..)
Very few ppl are being careful anymore

Honestly when Lakewood opened back up I was terrified. But over the past 4 months the town has been wide open with no ill effects bH. I still can’t believe it. I’m so grateful we’ve had this chance. The kids had a summer. If it does come back at least we’ve all had time to breathe and regroup.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:42 pm
While the virus dominates the secular media, I am seeing less of it in the frum media or it's shoved to the back of the publication. It seems like advertisers don't want the virus to be on everyone's minds because if they are worried about catching it, they will stay home instead of going out and spending money. Here in Monsey, as well as in the Catskills, indoor restaurants are legal as well as attractions such as Liberty Heights and Turtle Boo.
Advertisers selling shoes and apparel want the public to feel like they have places to go and a reason to buy. That's not happening if all we think about is the virus.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:44 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Walking around outdoors is a low risk activity. Spending a whole day indoors davening on YK with visitors from other cities, extended families coming together for sukkah, those are much higher risk activities.

Elderly in NY have been going to shul, being with family, going to weddings, going shopping, for months now. Many Elderly have stopped taking any precautions by now.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
But 60 cases in Baltimore have been directly linked to a wedding in Lakewood.

Again- how sick are these 60? How fast are they recovering? Were they sick before? If yes how sick? How fast did they recover? Are they still dealing with effects? Which effects? How severe? Compared to what size population? Which age group?
Numbers alone don’t mean anything.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Again- how sick are these 60? How fast are they recovering? Were they sick before? If yes how sick? How fast did they recover? Are they still dealing with effects? Which effects? How severe? Compared to what size population? Which age group?

They're probably not even sick and the tests are not accurate.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 6:58 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Elderly in NY have been going to shul, being with family, going to weddings, going shopping, for months now. Many Elderly have stopped taking any precautions by now.

Some have and some haven't. My grandmother in Brooklyn just recently started going into stores with a mask on. My grandfather has not gone to Shul. We are going to visit them and instead of going to their house we are going for a picnic so as to minimize exposure as much as possible.

STMommy

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:03 pm

Speak for yourself. My elderly parents in NY are as locked down as ever.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:15 pm
In many communities there have been weddings, simchos, people davening in shul, since shavuos, With guests from other areas. Elderly men are davening in minyanim without masks, and What difference does it make how long you are in shul? If someone is chalila sick, he will infect others wether they are in shul one hour or 3 hours or any time frame
Again we should not just ignore the fact that we do need to be careful and aware, but also look at those communities that are going about their lives and see what info we can gather.

I think it is important to realize that yes, BH the cases have been few and more mild. We have some type of an immunity situation - don't know to what expect, but whatever we have - partial or full herd immunity is not effective in a single large indoor gathering - so that is why we need to be more careful for those at risk rosh hashana, yom kippur etc. IYH.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:18 pm
It's no joke. There are new cases in Boro Park, and one known new case in Wmsbg. The Wmsbg case is a person who traveled out of state and did not quarantine when he returned. Now I just hope and pray that no one in shul caught it and that he has a refuah sheleima b'karov.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:19 pm
Just a point. I read all the posts, and no one has mentioned the fact that we were told months ago, that the warm weather would help to decrease the number of cases. The weather is cooling now, and do we really want to take chances? Be smart people. Stay vigilant.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 7:34 pm
There are definitely new cases in boro park. Many kids in camps have felt under the weather but haven't been tested so we dont really know for sure if they had the covid19 virus or something else. They're all coming home this week.

I actually have family members who are immunocompromised and are in strict lockdown. Given the situation, I o ly leave the house for emergencies, taking proper precautions. I definitely dont think we should close the city down. My family survived the measles crisis, taking precautions. And, we'll do the same now.

However, I strongly feel that EVERY PERSON WHO IS SICK, should sit HOME until they're better!! Even if you need to work, even if it's hard, even if its uncomfortable. When you are sick, you owe it to yourself and others around you to be cautious. I don't think it's too much to expect....

That will avoid problems for everyone. No one wants schools, yeshivas, shuls to be closed down!!

I beg and pray to all of you " use common sense and do the right thing"

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:01 pm

Not my mom. She recently started going to a quiet grocery once a week with a mask on. Went to small close family engagement for a quick minute wearing a mask. That's it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:03 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
It's no joke. There are new cases in Boro Park, and one known new case in Wmsbg. The Wmsbg case is a person who traveled out of state and did not quarantine when he returned. Now I just hope and pray that no one in shul caught it and that he has a refuah sheleima b'karov.

Somehow the traveling/mingling between communities is a recurring theme with the new cases. Sad

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:07 pm
FYI Bobov in BP issued a warning and covid19 rules..

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:09 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Unless we both happen to know the same unmarried young man, there is more than one newly diagnosed person in Williamsburg.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:11 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
There are definitely new cases in boro park. Many kids in camps have felt under the weather but haven't been tested so we dont really know for sure if they had the covid19 virus or something else. They're all coming home this week.

I actually have family members who are immunocompromised and are in strict lockdown. Given the situation, I o ly leave the house for emergencies, taking proper precautions. I definitely dont think we should close the city down. My family survived the measles crisis, taking precautions. And, we'll do the same now.

However, I strongly feel that EVERY PERSON WHO IS SICK, should sit HOME until they're better!! Even if you need to work, even if it's hard, even if its uncomfortable. When you are sick, you owe it to yourself and others around you to be cautious. I don't think it's too much to expect....

That will avoid problems for everyone. No one wants schools, yeshivas, shuls to be closed down!!

I agree very strongly.

However, people can be contagious before they feel sick.

We need to be willing to be uncomfortable, small simchos, masks, etc, in order to protect each other.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:16 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

However, I strongly feel that EVERY PERSON WHO IS SICK, should sit HOME until they're better!
! Even if you need to work, even if it's hard, even if its uncomfortable. When you are sick, you owe it to yourself and others around you to be cautious. I don't think it's too much to expect....

the problem is Americans at large wont take precautions if they get sick, I see people rationalizing it "its probably just ..." but still walk around like normal.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:23 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
All I know is that in boro park and Williamsburg things are back to normal since shavous. So that's 3 months of Large weddings, no masks, no social distancing and nothing happened. If anything proves that there is immunity, it is this. Not the media.[Political comment removed]. There is no rise in cases. They [language removed] testing people without symptoms.I know someone that went for strept culture and dr insisted they tske covid test. Both the strept and covid test are psotiive. Go figure!
Stop the fear mongering. Covid is here to stay. Lets live with it, I stead of destroyinf our daily lives
if zero people have the virus then nothing will happen, if one person brings the virus into the community then it WILL spread. but Maybe we should relax until we know that one person is revealed. But on the flipside communities that did lock down for so long have increase problems such as depression, suicide, regression with special ed children, shalom bais issues, etc.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:26 pm
In many communities there have been weddings, simchos, people davening in shul, since shavuos, With guests from other areas. Elderly men are davening in minyanim without masks, and What difference does it make how long you are in shul? If someone is chalila sick, he will infect others wether they are in shul one hour or 3 hours or any time frame
Again we should not just ignore the fact that we do need to be careful and aware, but also look at those communities that are going about their lives and see what info we can gather.

Duration of exposure is a huge factor for infection, because it means your spending a longer time breathing in the virus, if anyone has it. And shul, where people are singing aloud, right next to each other, indoors, all day, could be a potent vector for Covid-19. (God forbid)

Here’s more information:

https://www.miamiherald.com/ne......html

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:30 pm

I heard Chaveirim was called to deliver oxygen to two people in Flatbush, yesterday.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics