Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New COVID-19 cases in Orthodox communities elicit concern
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

keym

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:37 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
There are definitely new cases in boro park. Many kids in camps have felt under the weather but haven't been tested so we dont really know for sure if they had the covid19 virus or something else. They're all coming home this week.

I actually have family members who are immunocompromised and are in strict lockdown. Given the situation, I o ly leave the house for emergencies, taking proper precautions. I definitely dont think we should close the city down. My family survived the measles crisis, taking precautions. And, we'll do the same now.

However, I strongly feel that EVERY PERSON WHO IS SICK, should sit HOME until they're better!! Even if you need to work, even if it's hard, even if its uncomfortable. When you are sick, you owe it to yourself and others around you to be cautious. I don't think it's too much to expect....

That will avoid problems for everyone. No one wants schools, yeshivas, shuls to be closed down!!

I beg and pray to all of you " use common sense and do the right thing"

I agree with this 100%.
However we end up dancing around one big issue that no one seems to address.
The lousy sick leave and unemployment policy.
So many Americans can't afford to stay home from work every time they have a cough or a low grade fever. Or every time their child is feeling a bit under the weather.
Employers incentivize working sick, never taking off. Culturally we bring kids to daycares under the weather because what other choice do we have- the alternative is living on the street.
Especially now the extra unemployment is gone.
There are so many jobs that can't be done remotely.
Until we, as a community address this, we are in trouble.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The elderly shouldn't be going to shul.

What about in a shul that does SD and masks, and maybe has a special corner for the elderly?

avrahamama

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 8:45 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

However, I strongly feel that EVERY PERSON WHO IS SICK, should sit HOME until they're better!! Even if you need to work, even if it's hard, even if its uncomfortable. When you are sick, you owe it to yourself and others around you to be cautious. I don't think it's too much to expect....

That will avoid problems for everyone. No one wants schools, yeshivas, shuls to be closed down!!

I beg and pray to all of you " use common sense and do the right thing"

This should have always been the case. I was the mom who stayed home and kept kids home if they just got the glassy look in their eyes. They didn't even need to have a fever. And as a teacher my principal used to tell me to leave my sick child with a sitter or bring them with ... Both options didn't make sense to me. But that's the way the world runs.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:12 pm
Every single person in our community needs to
1. Quarantine if they travel out of state
2. Quarantine if exposed, or if they have symptoms
Unfortunately I put the chances of that happening at 0.

Hashem yishmor.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:19 pm
As long as people traveling in to NY from other states and countries won't be quarantining properly, it will be impossible to control the spread. NY is loaded with mishelachim from Israel, why is this allowed? Why are people freely allowed to come and go as if nothing is going on? NY should be as strict as Israel and Canada with the quarantine laws.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:19 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What about in a shul that does SD and masks, and maybe has a special corner for the elderly?

In most shuls, the men have taken over the women's section in order to keep social distance. Where would the elderly even find a place to sit? In my community, no women go to shul, because there is no room for us.

Besides, the vast majority are still doing "sidewalk minyans", and anyone is free to join. I have seen elderly people bring a plastic chair out with them, so they can sit down.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:32 pm
I don’t see any mention here of the this weeks first proven case of a 33 yr old who got corona virus the 2nd time- in a different strain.
(First time in April and again now.)
This shows that immunity is shorter than previously thought to be, and a second wave is very possible.
A vaccine seems to be the only solution.
Be well. Be safe.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:39 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
I don’t see any mention here of the this weeks first proven case of a 33 yr old who got corona virus the 2nd time- in a different strain.
This shows that immunity is shorter than previously thought to be, and a second wave is very possible.
Be well. Be safe.

How is the vaccine much of a protection if immunity doesn't last?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:43 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
As long as people traveling in to NY from other states and countries won't be quarantining properly, it will be impossible to control the spread. NY is loaded with mishelachim from Israel, why is this allowed? Why are people freely allowed to come and go as if nothing is going on? NY should be as strict as Israel and Canada with the quarantine laws.
The meshulachim thing is bizarre to me. Israel would never allow it if the shoe were on the other foot.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:44 pm
Be well. Be safe.
It was a different strain. You don’t know if immunity lasts for the same strain.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 9:52 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 10:00 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
The meshulachim thing is bizarre to me. Israel would never allow it if the shoe were on the other foot.

Of course they wouldn't. But the onus isn't on Israe herel, they don't need to lock people in. It's on the US to barr visitors from entering.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 10:02 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
https://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/featured/1895312/developing-spike-in-covid-19-cases-reported-in-frum-communities.html

“While the vast majority of these cases have either mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, a few of the cases have resulted in hospiizations.”
“ Doctors that YWN spoke with all state the same: While there is no cause for panic, people should continue to maintain social distancing, wear masks, and use hand sanitizers, because that is the only way to stop the spread.”

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 24 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
“While the vast majority of these cases have either mild symptoms or no symptoms at all, a few of the cases have resulted in hospiizations.”
“ Doctors that YWN spoke with all state the same: While there is no cause for panic, people should continue to maintain social distancing, wear masks, and use hand sanitizers, because that is the only way to stop the spread.”

And you forgot to also highlight:

people should continue to maintain social distancing, wear masks, and use hand sanitizers, because that is the only way to stop the spread.”

But that part always goes right over everyone's heads..

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Unless we both happen to know the same unmarried young man, there is more than one newly diagnosed person in Williamsburg.

Nope... The person I know of is a very well known wedding singer/choir leader. He traveled to Cleveland to sing at a wedding and caught it there. He has it pretty bad. He's in the hospital now, although not on a respirator (yet).

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 12:46 pm
My neighbor, who's been I the city all summer(boro park), is now hospitalized with covid19. He did not travel, nor did he go to any weddings. He did go to local shul that has minyan of approx 10-15 people. So. People bury your head in the sand if you want. However, if you dont want to reach the point that the city closes yeshivas, shuls, just wear the stupid masks the next 2 weeks so we can stop the spread. And, if you're sick, stay home!

And, yes, I know diblasio and Cuomo are picking on us and ignoring the protests yadda yadda, please just do whatever it takes to stop the spread in our community before it gets bad. JUST BE SMART!

I dont think any of us can handle lockdown at this point, so stretch your comfort muscle and use common sense....

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 12:51 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Nope... The person I know of is a very well known wedding singer/choir leader. He traveled to Cleveland to sing at a wedding and caught it there. He has it pretty bad. He's in the hospital now, although not on a respirator (yet).

You're talking about Chilu Posen? He's doing better bh.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:19 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
But that part always goes right over everyone's heads..

Exactly!!
We don't need to panic technically, but within our community the only thing that seems to work is fear and panic - and learning the hard way. Banging head

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:45 pm

As long as people are allowed to freely travel into NY without strict quarantine guidelines being enforced, the spread won't stop so fast. We have almost nothing from wearing masks and following guidelines when people are free to travel from hot spots without quarantining. Stupid Cuomo will rather close schools and businesses than to enforce travel bans strict quarantine for travelers.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:45 pm
Be well. Be safe.

A few cases doesn't show anything. I know someone who got chickenpox twice but there is still heard immunity from chickenpox. If 99% of people can't get it twice, you still have herd immunity; if only 30% can't get it twice, then herd immunity won't work. Knowing that one person for it twice doesn't help us at all.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics