Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New COVID-19 cases in Orthodox communities elicit concern
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:47 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What about in a shul that does SD and masks, and maybe has a special corner for the elderly?

I don't think it's fair to the elderly to make a blanket ban that the elderly can't go to shul. It should just be made clear that there is a risk in going and that they are not obligated to go.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:50 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Nope... The person I know of is a very well known wedding singer/choir leader. He traveled to Cleveland to sing at a wedding and caught it there. He has it pretty bad. He's in the hospital now, although not on a respirator (yet).

He did not catch it there. As a relative, I'll share. He caught at the Minkach chassuna in BP, travelled for Shabbos to Cleveland, got a fever on Sunday evening upon returning. And since he has preexisting conditions, it got a little icky. But he'll be fine bezh.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 2:52 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
As long as people are allowed to freely travel into NY without strict quarantine guidelines being enforced, the spread won't stop so fast. We have almost nothing from wearing masks and following guidelines when people are free to travel from hot spots without quarantining. Stupid Cuomo will rather close schools and businesses than to enforce travel bans strict quarantine for travelers.

https://matzav.com/cdc-drops-1.....lers/

No more quarantine.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:00 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
https://matzav.com/cdc-drops-14-day-self-quarantine-recommendation-for-travelers/

No more quarantine.

That's crazy! People are free to travel without quarantining and we NY's will suffer the consequences. That's just absurd. How are they planning to control the spread if people are allowed to travel in from hot spots?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:03 pm
That's crazy! People are free to travel without quarantining and we NY's will suffer the consequences. That's just absurd. How are they planning to control the spread if people are allowed to travel in from hot spots?

No more federal quarantine.

That doesn't mean states (incluidng NY and NJ) don't have their own quarantine rules.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:07 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
No more federal quarantine.

That doesn't mean states (incluidng NY and NJ) don't have their own quarantine rules.

The problem is that Cuomo would rather shut down schools and businesses than impose strict quarantine laws.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:08 pm
Quote:

Sorry, this is ridiculous. I know of 3 cases currently in my small OOT community. All 3 just traveled home from the tri-state area. That is where they contracted it - not here (here being one of the current states on NYs list for quarantine).
"Shockingly" in some cities people are still being responsible, still wearing masks in shul, schools, stores... if there's an outbreak here it will more likely be from all the people coming home after vacationing in NY/NJ, not the other way around

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:13 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, this is ridiculous. I know of 3 cases currently in my small OOT community. All 3 just traveled home from the tri-state area. That is where they contracted it - not here (here being one of the current states on NYs list for quarantine).
"Shockingly" in some cities people are still being responsible, still wearing masks in shul, schools, stores... if there's an outbreak here it will more likely be from all the people coming home after vacationing in NY/NJ, not the other way around

Of course we need to be responsible, wear masks, and SD. But this should go together with quarantine laws for travelers. Otherwise, it's impossible to stop the spread.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:13 pm
The problem is that Cuomo would rather shut down schools and businesses than impose strict quarantine laws.

Federal quarantine gets dropped, but Cuomo is the one to blame for that Banging head

I think he has made many missteps in his response to the virus, but blaming him when something gets dropped on the federal level is absurd.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:15 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
He did not catch it there. As a relative, I'll share. He caught at the Minkach chassuna in BP, travelled for Shabbos to Cleveland, got a fever on Sunday evening upon returning. And since he has preexisting conditions, it got a little icky. But he'll be fine bezh.

I dont get it. How could anyone know for sure where someone caught it?! How do you know he caught it at the wedding? Maybe he caught it in a gas station, or airplane or any store?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Quote:

Masks help very little. Especially the surgical or cloth masks which most people are wearing. So. I’m happy your town is better at following rules. People shouldn’t be traveling regardless because that’s how the virus spreads, mask or no mask.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:28 pm

I'm not sure I've seen evidence of that preference. I think the state is doing as much as they can proactively do to hold folks accountable to the quarantine rules, and made it clear a lot of it is us holding each other accountable.

I'm not sure there's much in it for Cuomo to shut down schools and businesses. It's trying to manage a pretty difficult situation in the ways that he can. He's not a dictator, and many of the ways the state has tried to control things have been taken to federal litigation. It's a tough thing to juggle protecting the public welfare and respecting constitutional rights.

Even if it's true that he prefers one over the other, I'm not sure why that is the problem.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Federal quarantine gets dropped, but Cuomo is the one to blame for that Banging head

I think he has made many missteps in his response to the virus, but blaming him when something gets dropped on the federal level is absurd.

I'm not blaming him. I'm saying that if things chas v'shalom get bad again, he'd be quicker to close schools and businesses than to impose strict travel quarantine laws.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:32 pm
I'm not blaming him. I'm saying that if things chas v'shalom get bad again, he'd be quicker to close schools and businesses than to impose strict travel quarantine laws.

There are only certain things he's empowered by the federal and state constitutions and laws to do. And he only has a finite amount of resources to do them. That will influence what actions he does take.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:32 pm

Its federal, so its Trump, not Cuomo. Does that make it OK?

keym

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:34 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I'm not sure I've seen evidence of that preference. I think the state is doing as much as they can proactively do to hold folks accountable to the quarantine rules, and made it clear a lot of it is us holding each other accountable.

I'm not sure there's much in it for Cuomo to shut down schools and businesses. It's trying to manage a pretty difficult situation in the ways that he can. He's not a dictator, and many of the ways the state has tried to control things have been taken to federal litigation. It's a tough thing to juggle protecting the public welfare and respecting constitutional rights.

Even if it's true that he prefers one over the other, I'm not sure why that is the problem.

This rings true for Murphy in NJ.
He refuses to allow gyms or indoor dining. He refuses to even give a timelineor a metric for what numbers he wants to see.
The restaurant and gym industry is falling apart, having been closed for 5 months by now.
However he has quarantine "recommendations" with absolutely no enforcement.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:34 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its federal, so its Trump, not Cuomo. Does that make it OK?

No, it does not. It makes no sense to close down schools and businesses while people traveling in from hot spots don't have to quarantine. How do they expect to stop the spread this way?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:36 pm

Cuomo? There are currently 31 states or territories on NY's quarantine list. NY just took 5 more off the list. Not sure how much stricter you want him to be.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:37 pm
No, it does not. It makes no sense to close down schools and businesses while people traveling in from hot spots don't have to quarantine. How do they expect to stop the spread this way?

That's one of the reasons I'd like to see a federal policy.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 3:39 pm

Folks from identified hotspots do have to quarantine when arriving in/returning to NYS.

Cuomo is reopening/permitting more and more things as time goes on. He just gave permission and associated guidance for fitness facilities to reopen and for certain school sports to resume in the fall.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics