Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Flight from Israel to Abu Dhabi
1  2  Next

WhatFor

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 8:13 am
Anyone else following? What are the Israeli imas thinking about this? Would you take the flight once COVID is over?

nchr

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 8:29 am
Why wouldn't someone take the flight? No one is going to shoot it down and this is opening a lot of doors. I've been go Abu Dhabi and other parts of the UAE several times, and yes, you need to decompartmentalize a lot, but there is a lot of opportunity there. (I'm American)

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:01 am
I'm so excited! I know it's really premature but I've already started looking at vacation packages. It seems like such a great place for a family vacation, so much for the kids to see and do!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:14 am
I want to go to Dubai in January or something when it's "cold"
Abu Dhabi I'm curious what there is to do and whether the shluchim wear a kippa or hat

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:25 am
No, I do not feel safe going just because they have now made a superficial agreement. It doesn't change anything for me, I just look at it as a political stunt. (Probably benefits the US government before elections more than it does us in Israel.)

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 9:36 am
They flew over Saudi Arabia -- I wonder if El Al will be allowed to do that for other flights. Usually, flights from Israel to the Far East take an extra 2-3 hours due to the detour over Saudi airspace.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 10:20 am
Dubai is amazing - highly recommended! If you're nervous about safety flying there, you could fly on Emirates instead of El Al. Once in Dubai, obviously use common sense, but I felt safer there than I do in many parts of NYC.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 10:44 am
They've spent years doing their best to destroy us. I'm glad that seems to be over, but I'm not really inclined to start giving them my money. There are plenty of other places in the world to see.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 10:53 am
No, I would not fly to a country that is so hostile to women.
European and American women have been imprisoned there for long periods of time just because they complained they had been raped. It's treated like any s@xual contact before marriage - illegal for both parties. Doesn't matter if you were forced.

I mean, this is a place where domestic violence is legal. Not a smart place for women to travel.

If you are living there and decide to get divorced, good luck. You will be granted custody of the kids when they are little, but the father will be guardian (in other words, makes all the big decisions). You will not be allowed to remarry as long as you have the kids. Once the kids turn 11 (boy) or 13 (girl), the father gets full custody. (of course he can remarry whenever he wants)

And these are the laws for foreigners. The local women are much more oppressed (they can't even work if their husband doesn't 'allow' them).

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
No, I would not fly to a country that is so hostile to women.
European and American women have been imprisoned there for long periods of time just because they complained they had been raped. It's treated like any s@xual contact before marriage - illegal for both parties. Doesn't matter if you were forced.

I mean, this is a place where domestic violence is legal. Not a smart place for women to travel.

If you are living there and decide to get divorced, good luck. You will be granted custody of the kids when they are little, but the father will be guardian (in other words, makes all the big decisions). You will not be allowed to remarry as long as you have the kids. Once the kids turn 11 (boy) or 13 (girl), the father gets full custody. (of course he can remarry whenever he wants)

And these are the laws for foreigners. The local women are much more oppressed (they can't even work if their husband doesn't 'allow' them).

All this aside, I don't even think it looks like an appealing place.

It seems a little like Vegas: lots of fancy over-the-top hotels and luxury shops... but what is there to do there? It seems all fake.

I suppose if you scratch the surface you can find off-the-beaten track activities (I see lots of interesting Islamic art and culture museums), but I'd be worried about going truly off-the-beaten tourist track in such a place.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:05 am
DrMom wrote:

It seems a little like Vegas: lots of fancy over-the-top hotels and luxury shops... but what is there to do there? It seems all fake.

I suppose if you scratch the surface you can find off-the-beaten track activities (I see lots of interesting Islamic art and culture museums), but I'd be worried about going truly off-the-beaten tourist track in such a place.

I totally agree. It seems most of its appeal is the glitz and wealth. Fancy shopping malls etc. Totally not my speed, but I get that others may like that.

etky

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 11:58 am
DrMom wrote:
They flew over Saudi Arabia -- I wonder if El Al will be allowed to do that for other flights. Usually, flights from Israel to the Far East take an extra 2-3 hours due to the detour over Saudi airspace.

I was also wondering. Air India flights from Delhi to Tel Aviv fly over Saudi Arabia. I was wondering if ELAl will be allowed over Saudi airspace for their Mumbai and Bangkok flights (once it resumes flying that is....).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:05 pm
There was a Mishpacha article. It sounds like a pretty amazing place to visit. But I can't imagine going there absent a business need. If I wanted a vacation, I'd go to EY. If I knew EY so well, or it was good for my mental health to go somewhere else, Dubai would still not be high on my list of places to chill.

moonstone

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:19 pm
Doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Rappel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:30 pm
DrMom wrote:

Scratching the surface can be pretty ugly in Dubai. For example, it's well documented that foreign workers are basically slaves there.

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:35 pm
ugh remember the whole white savior cr@p in the second SATC movie? it was so distasteful.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:35 pm
I loved LV. But I think the off the track thing is needed too, and yes, in those places I don't know. I'd have a Jewish guide. Corona for now anyway

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:52 pm
I guess one plus is there are women-only beaches and people for the most part dress modestly.

Also, there are women-only gyms, spas, salons, waiting areas and sections on buses.

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 12:54 pm
I didn't think of the beach! good one

Rappel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2020, 1:20 pm
DrMom wrote:
I guess one plus is there are women-only beaches and people for the most part dress modestly.

Also, there are women-only gyms, spas, salons, waiting areas and sections on buses.

I'll bet it's super easy to find good shrimpclyde there, too. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions