Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Substitute the meat or dairy in not kosher recipe?
Previous  1  2

Reality

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:43 am
MiriFr wrote:
Lol I’ll join you. I’m chatzi vegan, and I never tell my guests that what they’re eating isn’t in fact pulled brisket flatbread, real ice cream, or cookies with eggs.

Do you really think your guests can't tell?

I know you can bake delicious cookies or cakes without eggs. But eggs is just a binder in baked goods.

But ice cream? What brand of non-dairy ice cream can be mistaken for dairy? And I have no idea what a brisket flatbread is! But fake meat cannot be mistaken for the real thing!

I think you have polite friends and guests. I'm sure your food tastes good but it is not being mistaken for the real thing!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 7:49 am
MiriFr wrote:
Lol I’ll join you. I’m chatzi vegan, and I never tell my guests that what they’re eating isn’t in fact pulled brisket flatbread, real ice cream, or cookies with eggs.

Do you use jackfruit for your faux brisket? I've heard that if you cook it in BBQ sauce, nobody can tell the difference.

I never see jackfruit in Israel, but I'd be interested in trying it sometime.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:02 am
Reality wrote:
Do you really think your guests can't tell?

I know you can bake delicious cookies or cakes without eggs. But eggs is just a binder in baked goods.

But ice cream? What brand of non-dairy ice cream can be mistaken for dairy? And I have no idea what a brisket flatbread is! But fake meat cannot be mistaken for the real thing!

I think you have polite friends and guests. I'm sure your food tastes good but it is not being mistaken for the real thing!

No legit I promise. I served it Friday night, and they came back the next day and I told them. And they were actually legitimately confused. I used jackfruit instead. It doesn’t look as dark as regular meat, so one of them assumed it was chicken. And then my 4 year old goes “yum I love jackfruit!” And they started rolling because they had no idea what he was talking about.

The best vegan ice cream is Oatly ice cream.
The best coffee creamer (in the world. Dairy or not) is So Delicious oat milk snickerdoodle flavor.
Oh yeah and I make some dope vegan sushi.

MiriFr

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 8:04 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you use jackfruit for your faux brisket? I've heard that if you cook it in BBQ sauce, nobody can tell the difference.

I never see jackfruit in Israel, but I'd be interested in trying it sometime.

Yes, ma’am!
I cook it in bbq spice and bbq sauce. Then I pile it on top of the flatbread with bbq sauce, vegan spicy mayo, and pickled red onions.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen