Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Houston - YIH Area

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 03 2020, 11:30 pm
Hi, can anyone familiar with the YIH area comment on safety. We heard from one person that the neighborhood itself is nice, but it's surrounded by ghetto people and "minor" crimes (like car break-ins here and there, criminals checking car doors at night to see if they're unlocked) are to be expected. Anyone else able to comment on how good/bad the situation is?

Also, do you think the situation going to get better (gentrification) or worse (less policing and law-and-order due to what's going on in the US) over time?

doctorima

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:03 am
I don't live there, but when we visited a few years back, we were told exactly what you heard. The frum neighborhood itself is very nice, but the surrounding neighborhoods are not safe, and some women don't feel comfortable walking alone at night.

Some put bars on their windows and additional security precautions, and there were cases of car break-ins and other minor theft. The neighborhood had its own security car patrolling I believe.

I didn't get the sense that it's realistic that the surrounding neighborhood will gentrify or become frum, so realistically, it is what it is.

The shul itself and the people there were lovely, and the cost of housing is great compared to NY/NJ. Every place has pros and cons, so at least you know what the cons are here. The locals don't live in fear, and as long as you use common sense, you should be fine.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 04 2020, 10:19 am
Quote:
The locals don't live in fear, and as long as you use common sense, you should be fine.

Exactly as the poster above said.
I've lived here for 10 years and don't think about it. Lock your doors, lock your car, don't leave your wallet/purse/laptop on the front seat Banging head
I don't walk around at night alone, but I don't think I'd do that in many neighborhoods nowadays...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating