Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Restaurants in Israel!
1  2  Next

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 1:25 pm
Hi ladies!
I’ll be in Israel for Yom Hatzmaut and wondering if you could give me a few ideas of good restaurants.
In Europe we don’t have kosher African restaurants, what about in Israel? Ethiopian maybe?
I’m also interested in Russian/eastern Europe, as most ashkenazic eateries range from kosher open on shabbes to plain treif.
Indian restaurant? We have two of them in Paris, but maybe they have other dishes in Israel.
Any other “interesting” speciality is welcomed.

(we need kosher but not CY or glatt, just plain kosher is enough, think Guta or Gaucho in Jerusalem – we don’t really trust teuda-less kosher restaurants, although we know many think it’s ok but we’re not comfy).

amother

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 1:28 pm
from now you plan what you will be eating in a few months????????????
wow!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 1:29 pm
not what, but for sure "where", when it's a foreign country and if there are stuff we shouldn't miss.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 1:32 pm
I've had people pming me for French restaurants up to 2 years before the planned trip. so what.

loveit

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:22 pm
you have to be careful because many of the restaurants with the less stringent hecsherim, like just rabbanut, hold by the leniency of heter mechira since it's shmitta this year.

So if you are ok with heter mechira then you're fine, but if you don't hold by that leniency then many of the restaurants you are used to eating in past years will not be ok for you to eat in this year.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:27 pm
Are you finally getting your honeymoon, Ruchel?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:31 pm
lol yeah, but not now... we plan to go to an exotic country, but between the planning, the hard choice... it will take some time. This is just a family vacation and making up for the last vacation in Israel that turned sour due to my head aches (not everyone got to see my dd, and it's bothering everyone). Smile

baba

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:36 pm
There's a very nice morrocan place, decorated in that style and everything, just cant remember the name, starts with a d I think, I'll have to ask DH. And don't miss out on gavriel. It's not a specific style, think more laguta, but very yummy and nice atmosphere.

baba

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 3:37 pm
as I posted the name came to me dharna or dharma, nor sure which though.

ora_43

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 4:38 pm
baba--I think it's spelled Darna.

Ruchel--There's a great kosher Ethiopian place about two blocks from Kikar Tzion in town. I'll post the name later if I can remember it.

There's also a Turkish place, Pasha, on Pier Kenig in Talpiot. Plus a lot of nice sephardi-style meat places.

I can't think of any eastern European restaurants.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Feb 17 2008, 9:20 pm
Eastern European are quite a few. Hess in town and several less classy places elsewhere. Just need to think.

Sefardi there alot as well. The phone book lists by type. Also go to the site I listed above, it is full of restaurants all over Israel, incl price, hashgacha and type. Many restaurants there even have a link to see the full menu printed.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 5:30 am
which site imaonwheels?

thanks a lot everyone!!!

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 7:51 am
Hess has two places. One is on Heleni Hamalka and one is in Givat Shaul (Beit Hadfus, I think.) The one on Heleni Hamalka is supposed to be a nice restaurant and the other is more a deli.

ally

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 8:48 am
just a note...
I have been told that if you're taking one of the "suggested specials" at Hess, ask for the price bc sometimes they can be 400shek!!!!!!!!!!!!

if youre looking for an expensive milchik meal, 1868 is amazing!!! there is also a fleishig one, but I have never been there.

miracle

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:01 am
Ruchel

Go to www.eluna.com it gives you all kinds of restaurants (all kosher) by style, location, hechsher and the best is that you can print out coupons and get a 10% discount.
I always use it

some tips:
In Jerusalem
Ahavat Haiam - It is a fish restaurant, if you like fish this is the restaurant to go. One of my favorites
Olive - great meat and special dishes
Kohinoor - indian restaurant in The Crown Plaza (Former holiday inn)

In Tel Aviv-
Try Bruno: mediteranean food, really special food and atmosphere

In herzelia
Meat and Wine - never been but heard from everyone it is great

Enjoy the food and the vouchers LOL

ally

Post Mon, Feb 18 2008, 9:13 am
I also heard meat and wine is amazing.

you can order glatt in advance if you want.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 2:00 am
baba wrote:
as I posted the name came to me dharna or dharma, nor sure which though.

Darna

Tamiri

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 2:04 am
Indian: Sangam in Ligad Center/Modiin
Ethiopian: Chabash at the corner of Allenby/HaYarkon in Tel Aviv
Fabulous sushi and fine dining: Pacific in the Crowne Plaza in Tel Aviv
Good Sushi: Osaka in Industrial Zone, Raanana
Mizrachi style (salads, meat): HaTurkey in Or Yehuda, Achla in Petach Tikva and Kfar Saba, HaTaboun in Raanana
Coffee and Salad: All over the country, great places such as Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Company, Aroma (you have to check each branch to make sure they have a teuda, it varies)

Unlimited good, kosher eating in Israel, in practically every city.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 2:28 am
http://rest.co.il/

I like it better than eluna even though it is not a religious site. You can specify that your list include only kosher or mehadrin. The sheer number of places is much larger. They print favorable and unfavorable reviews and they are more specific about whose hashgacha. They also link to the site of those places that have one. It annoys me in Israel on a religious site for the kosher consumer that I have to call the restaraunt to find out whose hashgacha they have.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Feb 19 2008, 2:31 am
ally wrote:
just a note...
I have been told that if you're taking one of the "suggested specials" at Hess, ask for the price bc sometimes they can be 400shek!!!!!!!!!!!!

if youre looking for an expensive milchik meal, 1868 is amazing!!! there is also a fleishig one, but I have never been there.

My ils, who aren't frum, extremely discriminating and price is no obstacle, consider 1868 to be their favorite Y-m restaurant.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics