Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Elevating food for Shabbat or Yom Tov
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:02 am
There are some foods that are easy and yummy, and I think most people like
How can I elevate these to serve on Shabbat or Yom Tov
Rice and chicken casserole
Meatballs- please suggest side
Meat loaf- please suggest side
Crispy oven fried chicken, aka shake n bake chicken

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:06 am
Uou could do stuffed veggies for the meatball/meatloaf idea
Crispy chicken if probably fine as is.
Chicken and rice in 1 pan is also yummy for shabbos.

I see what you're saying as I wouldn't think of these as food for shabbos. But food is special for shabbos YT... even if its basic.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:21 am
Plate it nicely: two meatballs on a skewer placed on a bed of rice or orzo with sauce drizzled over it, or one big meatball with a fancy toothpick in it placed on a little clear square disposable plate on the big plate etc!

I’ve done lettuce placed in a wreathe around a plate and chicken or meat stew in the middle

I love cooking basic yummy food and presenting it nicely

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:28 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Uou could do stuffed veggies for the meatball/meatloaf idea
Crispy chicken if probably fine as is.
Chicken and rice in 1 pan is also yummy for shabbos.

I see what you're saying as I wouldn't think of these as food for shabbos. But food is special for shabbos YT... even if its basic.

Yes
But I feel these are yummier than more gourmet and you want to enjoy the food
I usually make a roast for Yom Tov,
But I don’t think ppl/ kids like it as much as
“Comfort Food”
So I want to serve some “everyday” foods n a more elevated way.
I made stuffed veggies as well

Just saying I really like French Fries- for example- is there a way to elevate them to Shabbat/ Yom Tov status-
Not crispy roasted potatoes actual French Fries that have been deep fried
Or crispy chicken

For hot dogs, for example, I make mini frank in blanks and that acceptable

I know I can serve whatever my family wants- but when you invite guests you don’t want to seem strange

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:33 am
I think you should try to make food that is exclusive only for Shabbos. If you are doing franks in blanks then don't serve any franks during the week. The same for French fries. These foods are generally food for weekday, so if you want to be mechabed Shabbos you will keep it exclusively for Shabbos. I'm not even sure that what I'm suggesting is ok halachically, but maybe run it by your Rabbi.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:40 am
Maybe serve the fries with a nice dipping sauce or season them with truffle oil

But I remember Rabbi Kelemen saying that whatever keeps the kids at the table is what you serve. So if it's hot dogs and french fries...then that's what it is. Goal is to be with them and make it pleasant for them.

Ever since he said that. I let them eat potato chips with their fish and make whatever basic food they request.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:44 am
Food that your family and guests enjoy is more important than fancy food. Cook basic food, and serve it nicely. That might mean fancy dishes, or nice garnishes and sauces. Anything that you only have on shabbos is automatically a shabbos food.

essie14

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:48 am
avrahamama wrote:

But I remember Rabbi Kelemen saying that whatever keeps the kids at the table is what you serve. So if it's hot dogs and french fries...then that's what it is. Goal is to be with them and make it pleasant for them.

Ever since he said that. I let them eat potato chips with their fish and make whatever basic food they request.

Yup. We grill a lot for Friday night and also for shabbat day. grilled pargit warms up beautifully the next day.
I dont care that we also grill during the week. That's what my kids like and its easy for me. I do also make some food that we only have on shabbat as well.
But meatballs are perfectly fine for shabbat or chag. my kids hate fancy plated food. They like to serve themselves. but shabbat is special for many other reasons. We are all together, we eat in the dining room and not the kitchen, there's a pretty tablecloth, real dishes, glasses, etc.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:50 am
avrahamama wrote:

Exactly-
I love the potato chips with fish idea
Now- how do I elevate it to look fancy for the adults so that I only make 1 meal

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:50 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I think you should try to make food that is exclusive only for Shabbos. If you are doing franks in blanks then don't serve any franks during the week. The same for French fries. These foods are generally food for weekday, so if you want to be mechabed Shabbos you will keep it exclusively for Shabbos. I'm not even sure that what I'm suggesting is ok halachically, but maybe run it by your Rabbi.

I basically agree about dedicated foods, but if french fries just go so well with whatever the dedicated food is, that's seems just fine. IOW, you might have the same veg. during the week but you don't cut them up into an Israeli salad except for Shabbos and special times.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:52 am
For the casserole you can pour the batter into individual ramekins and bake them on a cookie sheet.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:52 am
You can serve French fries standing up in cups (or even a low vase) with little dishes of ketchup alongside.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:53 am
Serve skewers of meatballs over rice or mashed potatoes. Extra sauce on the side. Really yummy.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly-
I love the potato chips with fish idea
Now- how do I elevate it to look fancy for the adults so that I only make 1 meal

The kids are so cute. They call it fish and chips.

It really is all in presentation. You can go vintage and buy vintage glass snack plates. You can do fancy restaurant style bento boxes. You can do french bistro style craft paper cones. You can get kettle cooked fancy potato chips or just plane lays.
You can get a squeeze bottle and do a drizzle sauce design. Options are endless.

The elevating of the food is the brachot you make and atmosphere of your table.

I have exhausted myself over fussy meals and had a table full of cranky kids and husband. No singing no talking torah no chatting nothing. Then I have literally plopped a salmon in the table and opened a bag of chips and had the most wonderful shabbat atmosphere in my home.

pizza4

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:15 am
As a kid I thought that meatballs was a yomtov food, lol.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
Serve skewers of meatballs over rice or mashed potatoes. Extra sauce on the side. Really yummy.

Oooh I love this idea
That’s what I’m talking about

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:19 am
To me, if it’s meat or fish and freshly made ( or frozen with Shabbat in mind, it’s Shabbat food. And we eat a lot of meat all the time, but it’s still special.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:20 am
ra_mom wrote:
For the casserole you can pour the batter into individual ramekins and bake them on a cookie sheet.

I’m not sure what you mean
This is chicken and rice
Or are you talking about chicken pot pie?

Also -any ideas on how to elevate meat loaf
No shepherds pie please, I already make this

avrahamama

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is chicken and rice

Maybe mini loafs per person?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is chicken and rice

I guess I imagined the casserole to have a cream soup base. Disregard.
I have done individual meatloaf in ramekins.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen