Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you own a boat?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you own a boat
Yes  
 3%  [ 8 ]
No  
 93%  [ 187 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 201

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:46 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
There’s an old joke that the two best days for a boat owner are the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Meaning is that the purchase is usually regretted.

https://arfinancial.com/2018/0.....life/

Like a treadmill?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:48 pm
Many of my neighbors own kayaks and canoed. We were going to buy this year but there was a shortage.
I am starting to see a lot of bigger boats in the frum community - we live near the shore.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:27 am
I own 2 blow up row boats good for 2 people each. But not sure if this is what you meant

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:39 am
Rappel wrote:
Exactly. DS asked me today why we don't have a boat (my MIL was heading out to drive hers on the Hudson.). Ummm, because we live in the middle of the mountains, and we don't even own a home yet???

In the end, I just told him that when he grows up, he can buy himself a boat if he wants.

Yes. When I saw this thread, my reaction was, 'What would I do with a boat in the middle of Jerusalem?'

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 12:41 am
Elfrida wrote:
Yes. When I saw this thread, my reaction was, 'What would I do with a boat in the middle of Jerusalem?'

Perhaps live in it?
It might be cheaper than an apartment!

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:15 am
Yes it’s plastic and it’s in the kids’ bathtub.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 1:22 am
I dream of it but practically speaking we can rent a pontoon every Sunday in the summer and not cost us a fraction of what it would cost to own. So maybe when we retire rich and can use it every day...... I did see lots of frum people with boats by the marina. It is pretty cool but cant justify the cost (cant even get myself to fargin myself a pontoon once a summer)

ChanieMommy

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:06 am
Quote:
Do you own a boat?

No. But I could make one from paper...

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:23 am
I had a great uncle who lived on a sailboat. He and my uncle sailed to Hawaii and back.
My uncle has owned sailboats and a catamaran. Are you also counting kayaks and canoes? We stored a canoe for a friend with permission to use whenever we wanted.
What about a windsail?
It’s only worth it if you live near water and have a place to anchor it. Docks are pretty expensive.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:25 am
No I have a wooden stick if I want to cross the water I’m splitting it and walk right through

Learning

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 2:34 am
Do you own an airplane?

GoodEnough

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 4:52 am
No. Though I'd love to own some jetskis. And I've never been on a yacht, maybe after I have, I'd like to own one too. Cool

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 4:58 am
I grew up about an hour away from the shore. We had neighbors (jewish) WHo parked their boat in their drive way. Yes,seriously. We lived in regular middle class suburbia and they had a boat. No clue what kind, but obviously not very large if it was parked in the drive way. We always got a kick of it when we walked past it.

theoneandonly

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 5:57 am
ExtraCredit wrote:
Like a treadmill?

What do you mean? I use my treadmill every day! (As a towel rack LOL LOL LOL )

Last edited by theoneandonly on Mon, Sep 07 2020, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:12 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I grew up about an hour away from the shore. We had neighbors (jewish) WHo parked their boat in their drive way. Yes,seriously. We lived in regular middle class suburbia and they had a boat. No clue what kind, but obviously not very large if it was parked in the drive way. We always got a kick of it when we walked past it.

YOU see a few of those in Lakewood these days. We have a house on our block that is A vacation Bangalow to some New York ppl and they also have a boat parked there.

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:15 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Lots of people park boats in driveways...

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:17 am
I would, if I could find parking for it in center Borough Park.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:33 am
We did own an inflatable one summer but sold it at the end of the summer. (rented a house by a lake) It was great fun.

Where I grew up in London, there are a bunch of canal boats on the river there. My parents had a frum friend who lived in one. Retirement dreams!!! (although probably not that comfortable long term...) They are actually a pretty affordable housing option in London, I think.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Lots of people park boats in driveways...
My point was that where I grew up, I never saw any other home owner with a boat in their drive way. Thats all.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 07 2020, 7:52 am
Yes but frankly my butler is using it sol I can't use it
hahahahah
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics