Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you have a child in sem or yeshiva in Israel?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:51 am
How are they managing????

Some girls have boys have been sent home and banned from Israel for 5 years for violating quarantine. The lockdown is preventing girls from going out, getting fresh air. Many are not coping and want to go home.

The sems that deferred till after Succos May not even be able to enter the country.

It seemed like a nice idea at the time but in hindsight sending to yeshiva/seminary this year is a disaster for many and they would have been better off staying home!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:54 am
Its a shame they broke quarentine but its a serious matter.
Sem and yeshiva was going to be extremely different. The students HAD TO realize that.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 10:58 am
I've heard not such good things too- kids breaking quarantine and the seminaries getting fined... I didn't hear about anyone getting sent home though. Which schools was that in?
FTR I have a sister there now who'll be out of quarantine next week and she actually sounds just fine. She's a trooper though so I don't know if her experience is reflective of others

s c

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 11:18 am
Have a daughter there now whose sem came came out of quarantine 2 days ago. She didn't have to stay in her room like the American girls did but they seem to have got through it OK. They've now been taken away on a fun trip up North. BH am very happy her sem decided to not wait until after yomtov.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 11:30 am
Well, all of israel might end up in lock dien next week, so, things can change yet again. And they you can say goodbye to teips of any kind.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 1:47 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Well, all of israel might end up in lock dien next week, so, things can change yet again. And they you can say goodbye to teips of any kind.

I heard about that. Wishing you, and all Israelis, well with it.

And at this point, very glad DD2 decided against a gap year.

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 1:56 pm
My daughter is worried about lockdown only because it’s on the heels of bidud but even with the national lock down, she wouldn’t be allowed out of bayit vegan. Hardest part is the it’s been slow making new friends. She’s looking forward to classes starting next week. They are on a trip now and in tzfat for shabbos.

She looks and sounds happy so I’m pleased.

bsy

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 1:59 pm
My brother sounded fine with quarantine. Got out last Sunday

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 2:21 pm
Ds on week one of quarantine. He is disappointed but it’s not that bad.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 2:31 pm
My sister is in seminary and in a hotel for quarantine. She's having a total blast. She doesn't leave her room but the seminary works hard to keep them busy. They talk to girls in other rooms through the windows 😂. Also girls from some countries don't have to quarantine so they make their rounds around the floor. There is a pexi galss type of seperation by the doorway.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 3:24 pm
My son got out of quarantine this week. He is doing OK, but probably not having as good of a time as he would have without COVID. He isn't allowed to leave the city he is in - I think that might be a city-wide thing for everyone, not just the Yeshiva. They are being very strict, which is good from a COVID standpoint, not good from an immersive Israeli experience perspective.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 5:06 pm
My son is done with quarantine but yeshiva is not allowing them to leave the building. They can’t even go grocery shopping.

Post Fri, Sep 11 2020, 5:18 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My son is done with quarantine but yeshiva is not allowing them to leave the building. They can’t even go grocery shopping.

Similar for DD. I wish there was the equivalent of fresh direct.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 1:15 pm
I saw some seminary girls who have finished bidud in Geula on Thursday, and others in the supermarket in my neighbourhood on Friday. I live near one seminary building where the girls are still in bidud, and they sound like they are having a good time.

I actually heard from one seminary teacher that at least some of the girls are appreciating bidud. Being in a capsule of only six girls has given them a chance to get to know each other much better than normal, and removed the social pressure surrounding who invites who to go out for pizza and who has the best invitations for Shabbos. They'll have to adjust again when they get out of bidud.

Anyone who came here this year knew that they were going to have two weeks bidud at the beginning of the year, and knew that anyone breaking bidud would be sent home. If they chose to risk it, they've only themselves to blame. They ran the risk of having their seminary/yeshiva closed over it as well. I hope they don't have that on their conscience.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 2:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It seemed like a nice idea at the time but in hindsight sending to yeshiva/seminary this year is a disaster for many and they would have been better off staying home!

Less than two weeks into the year seems a little early to make such sweeping statements.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 2:56 pm
1091 wrote:
Similar for DD. I wish there was the equivalent of fresh direct.

There are Israeli supermarkets that have online shopping.

It's a strange start to the year, but the kids came with full knowledge of the situation. In some ways, it's been socially beneficial because they have no choice but to get to know their roommates.

Three things to remember:

What exactly would these kids be doing if not in Israel?

This might blow over, and kids will be able to get out and see more of the country.

Lots of extra Torah is being learned by kids who have nowhere to go.

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 8:04 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
There are Israeli supermarkets that have online shopping.

It's a strange start to the year, but the kids came with full knowledge of the situation. In some ways, it's been socially beneficial because they have no choice but to get to know their roommates.

Three things to remember:

What exactly would these kids be doing if not in Israel?

This might blow over, and kids will be able to get out and see more of the country.

Lots of extra Torah is being learned by kids who have nowhere to go.

Ruby, which ones have on line shopping?

Thankfully dd is adjusting. She just needs a few things and doesn’t know how to get them.

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 8:14 pm
1091 wrote:
Ruby, which ones have on line shopping?

Thankfully dd is adjusting. She just needs a few things and doesn’t know how to get them.

I would try

https://www.shufersal.co.il/online/he/

(There may be an English site too, but it's the middle of the night here.)

But the seminary ought to be taking care of things like this, either by shopping for the girls, arranging deliveries or letting the girls know how they can order things.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 8:20 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I saw some seminary girls who have finished bidud in Geula on Thursday, and others in the supermarket in my neighbourhood on Friday. I live near one seminary building where the girls are still in bidud, and they sound like they are having a good time.

I actually heard from one seminary teacher that at least some of the girls are appreciating bidud. Being in a capsule of only six girls has given them a chance to get to know each other much better than normal, and removed the social pressure surrounding who invites who to go out for pizza and who has the best invitations for Shabbos. They'll have to adjust again when they get out of bidud.

Anyone who came here this year knew that they were going to have two weeks bidud at the beginning of the year, and knew that anyone breaking bidud would be sent home. If they chose to risk it, they've only themselves to blame. They ran the risk of having their seminary/yeshiva closed over it as well. I hope they don't have that on their conscience.

My son’s yeshiva finished bidud and he can’t go down the block to the makolet. They are still are not allowed to leave the building to take a walk around the block.

Post Sat, Sep 12 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I would try

https://www.shufersal.co.il/online/he/

(There may be an English site too, but it's the middle of the night here.)

But the seminary ought to be taking care of things like this, either by shopping for the girls, arranging deliveries or letting the girls know how they can order things.

Thanks. I’ll look at that one.

They were supposed to. Not sure what they are doing now. I’ll have her ask her madricha.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics