Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help. Too many cavities.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:03 pm
What am I doing wrong....or what am I not doing right.???

We drink mainly Reverse Osmosis or Poland spring water bottles. Recently started with Evian too. Grapjuice is on shabbo most of time. We also big seltzer drinkers but mineral types.

One child highly allergic to fish and very picky eater has baby teeth issues and now was checked by dentist and has adult teeth carries that we are filling.

Another kids developed dairy allergy and after a year has carried on allbaby teeth....half already fixed and payed for.

Please help with advice. We use crest to wash teeth. Any vitamins, toothpaste
Please recommend what worked for you personally. I am ready to cry.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:06 pm
Ask dentist for prescription fluoride toothpaste
That’s what my dentist said
Or flourished rinse
My son jist got cavities filled today. He had a few

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:10 pm
That is so hard! You must feel terrible for your kids.

Some people just inherit a gene that causes very soft enamel. I have super hard teeth, and have only had 3 cavities my whole life. My poor sister had to have major root canal work by the time she was 17.

Has your dentist given the application that seals the enamel? It's like a clear liquid that is painted onto the teeth and then dried with UV light, to create an extra layer of protection. It's done after all the cavities are filled.

If the teeth are very soft, it should be done after every cleaning, and cleaning should be done every 3 months instead of every 6 months. Your dentist should write a letter to your insurance company explaining why the frequent cleanings are needed, and hopefully it will be covered.

If you are not drinking tap water that is fluoridated by the city, that can be a big problem. You may also need to get your kids to "swish and spit" with children's extra fluoride mouthwash.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:12 pm
Get a second opinion to make sure the cavities are really cavities and not just a little indentation that the dentist decides to charge you for filling. BTDT

My kids cavities magically disappeared when I switched dentists.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:19 pm
1. Get a second opinion. Some doctors convince to do work when it's not necessary or detrimental.

2. Buy a fluoride rinse to use after brushing. If child is too young to be able to swish and spit, then dip a qtip into fluoride and rub it over their teeth.

3. Look into the possibility of reflux in the kids. It can devour the teeth.

4. Speak to your dentist about sealants and protectants for as soon as their adult teeth grow in so they have a chance at a healthy mouth.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 4:32 pm
Vitamin K... Magnesium. Look up the work of Dr Weston Price

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:07 pm
All excellent ideas above! Just a few additions. Don't drink RO water bc of the lack of minerals, switch to spring or filtered. Also try xylitol chewing gum like Spry or Zellies brand in the USA. Make sure kids are not mouth breathers because that can cause dry mouth and worsen oral health. More saliva = fewer cavities. Possibly special oral probiotics might help? I can't remember the strain off the top of my head but it might be lactobacillus salivarius? I'm sure Google will tell you 😁

little neshamala

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 5:15 pm
All of my kids had an insane ammount of cavities one visit and I was ready to cry. My dentist very strongly recommended a sonicare toothbrush (not any electric tooth brush-specifically a sonicare. The idea is that the bristles move so insanely fast that through the sonic movement it even dislodges particles that it doesnt reach).
I was skeptical but so desperate that I shelled out a large ammount of money and bought us all sonicares.
Best investment ever.
The cavities totally dropped. One here or there, but nothing like before

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:29 pm
Get a second opinion. I moved and the new dentist said I needed major work, I got a second opinion and was told that everything was fine, not a single cavity. My kids had been at a peds dentist who capped/did a root canal on every single molar... I switched them to another peds dentist and they magically didn't have a single cavity.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:36 pm
Switch to tap water. Flouride in the water helps to prevent cavities.

HakarasHatov

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:41 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Vitamin K... Magnesium. Look up the work of Dr Weston Price
this. Milk is traditionally known for strong bones and teeth because raw milk is high in k2, calcium, etc. if you can’t/ dont want To give raw milk. Find quality supplements.

nchr

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:44 pm
Fluoride tablets if you don't have it in your water and fluoride toothpaste. You should be brushing their teeth at an angle to get the brush to hit the gum area. Brush after meals and before bed. Floss at least once per day.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 9:49 pm
Minerals and oral microbiome. Limit grains, carbs and sugars, the create an acidic environment in the mouth that breaks down enamel. Supplement with magnesium and vit k. Supplemental calcium and vitamin actually dysregulate mineralization when cellular magnesium is low. Nutrient dense ancestral diet high in fats and bioavailable minerals. Don’t do fluoride it’s a toxic endocrine disrupters. Oral probiotics like blis k12. Check for and treat tongue tie, adenoids, tonsils, bruxism, etc. treat pathogens and chronic infections.

gold21

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 10:31 pm
Some people just have weaker enamel.

Make sure they brush their teeth thoroughly every night. You can put a video on for them on YouTube that makes brushing fun. There's a whole bunch of great toothbrushing videos. (That's what I do with my youngest.)

There's ACT flouride rinse they can use after brushing their teeth.

Limit sugars, limit fruit drinks.

Go for regular cleanings.

Good Luck .....

Raw

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What am I doing wrong....or what am I not doing right.???

We drink mainly Reverse Osmosis or Poland spring water bottles. Recently started with Evian too. Grapjuice is on shabbo most of time. We also big seltzer drinkers but mineral types.

One child highly allergic to fish and very picky eater has baby teeth issues and now was checked by dentist and has adult teeth carries that we are filling.

Another kids developed dairy allergy and after a year has carried on allbaby teeth....half already fixed and payed for.

Please help with advice. We use crest to wash teeth. Any vitamins, toothpaste
Please recommend what worked for you personally. I am ready to cry.

A lot of really good advice from other posters but one more thing jumped out at me. You wrote that you’re big seltzer drinkers. I recently learned from a well respected dentist that even though seltzer is ‘healthy’ compared to soda, the actual carbonation process causes cavities, not just the sugar. I don’t let my kids have much seltzer anymore for this reason.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:14 pm
1) true that some dentists are scammers
2) true some people just have weak enamel
3) also true that carbs and sugar make for disgusting hunk in your mouth.

Ymmv

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 11:18 pm
Often it's just genetics and nothing you can do about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics