Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can someone in Israel explain the lockdown
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:12 pm
It's almost yom tov! How do they expect people not to leave their homes? They have to get food and supplies and build the succah. Do they expect people won't have succos this year?

Can someone explain the reason for the lockdown, the point of it, and what they hope to accomplish?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's almost yom tov! How do they expect people not to leave their homes? They have to get food and supplies and build the succah. Do they expect people won't have succos this year?

Can someone explain the reason for the lockdown, the point of it, and what they hope to accomplish?
People are allowed to leave home for essentials. And in your own daled amot, you can go up to a kilometer.
The point? To lower the numbers again. What other reason would their be for any kind of lock down?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It's not such a strict lockdown. All the supermarkets are open, and it is completely legal to go to a supermarket or to a pharmacy. And of course, many people are ordering food and supplies online.

You can order anything you need to build the succah online. I don't know if the hardware stores are open (most stores are closed but some have an exemption as 'necessary' stores and that may fall in that category).

It's definitely not a lockdown like we had in March. Most workers are allowed to go to work, so you still have people travelling to their jobs.
There are so many 'exceptions' to the rule to stay home that if you really need to get out, you can. But malls, clothing stores, restaurants, schools, wedding halls and even the beach are all closed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:20 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
People are allowed to leave home for essentials. And in your own daled amot, you can go up to a kilometer.
The point? To lower the numbers again. What other reason would their be for any kind of lock down?

So no parks? No walks? No shul? No getting groceries further than a km? No succahs?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So no parks? No walks? No shul? No getting groceries further than a km? No succahs?
You can go farther than the 1k for essentials.
Parks are open and if you live within 1k of a park, you can go, same as shul. But there are many many outdoor minyanim still.
And why not succahs? People build them on their property or their porches. Thats not over a kilomoeter.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:22 pm
Hardware stores are mostly open, and there are special exemptions to travel restrictions for any buying arba minim. Food shops are also open, as they were during the last lockdown.

As for what they hope to achieve; a lot of Israelis are also wondering that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:25 pm
If a super strict lockdown, where they got down to five new cases, didn't help matters, what's the point of this one? If corona is still simmering in the population, and it won't go away until enough people have had it and have herd immunity, then what's the point, exactly? As soon as you open up it will happen again, and again, and again. So just stay open.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to point out that this was a failed experiment, so why repeat it?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:25 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Hardware stores are mostly open, and there are special exemptions to travel restrictions for any buying arba minim. Food shops are also open, as they were during the last lockdown.

As for what they hope to achieve; a lot of Israelis are also wondering that.

They are hoping, as shabbat said, that numbers will go down. It can't go on the way it is.

I personally wish the lockdown were stricter.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can go to a park or for a walk as long as it's within one km of your home.

You can go to whichever supermarket you want, even if it's not the one closest to your home.

Everyone who usually builds a succah will build one this year too.

sidewalkchalk

I am struggling to understand all the people who are not being compliant.

More than one neighborhood in Yerushalaim has chadarim opening tomorrow.

There were parks over yuntiv with no one in masks.

Meanwhile my friend's husband is in hospital on a respirator.

How can I understand this?

shabbatiscoming

amother [ OP ] wrote:
If a super strict lockdown, where they got down to five new cases, didn't help matters, what's the point of this one? If corona is still simmering in the population, and it won't go away until enough people have had it and have herd immunity, then what's the point, exactly? As soon as you open up it will happen again, and again, and again. So just stay open.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to point out that this was a failed experiment, so why repeat it?
Ah, so you want to talk about herd immunity, which there isnt any, as of yet, with covid, so there is no evidence that this is what happens.
The reason why they are having this "sort of" lock down is so that the numbers of people catching covid, daily, will go down.
I think its a bit too late for that now, but it is something, maybe.

amother
Maroon

amother [ OP ] wrote:

I guess because the experiment of opening everything failed even more.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The super strict lockdown worked very well. The problem was that they reopened way to quickly without enough precautions in place. And people didn't take the precautions that were there, seriously.

But, this quasi lockdown is a joke. Most people are still going about their business as usual. They're talking about tightening restrictions further, but I fear it will be too late; people have already internalized that they don't need to take it seriously this time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:30 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:

Just like any other place in the world where there are people who are listening to regulations and people who are not Sad

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The lockdown worked. The way they opened up too fast was a problem. As was the day they said it was too hot for masks a d no one need wear them. People stopped taking it seriously. What they are trying to do now is press reset, and get people back to taking it a bit more seriously again.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:37 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:

It's also the Arabs apparently that do whatever they want.

sidewalkchalk

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:40 pm
A friend who is struggling with her emuna and bitachon is actively being shaken up by rabbaim / rebbes who don't insist their followers wear masks, or even tell them to open schools anyway.

I don't know how to answer her.

I want to send angry anonymous letters to magazines. Will that help? What can help?

moonstone

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:46 pm
This so-called lockdown really is a joke. I keep seeing this online: You can't leave your house unless you need to go somewhere.

Funny and (seemingly) true!

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:46 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:
A friend who is struggling with her emuna and bitachon is actively being shaken up by rabbaim / rebbes who don't insist their followers wear masks, or even tell them to open schools anyway.

I want to send angry anonymous letters to magazines. Will that help? What can help?

I certainly don't have respect for such rabbanim.

But that has nothing to do with emunah in Hashem.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2020, 4:48 pm
sidewalkchalk wrote:

It's not only specific communities, there's people across the spectrum who aren't keeping to it. Not that it makes it any better, but still an important point I want to mention.

Even the left-wing media that is usually rife with anti-charedi bias hardly touched upon the fact that there were those who didn't all keep to the rules over Rosh Hashana because they had too many infractions to report among their own. From the sad fact that many secular Israelis held their large Rosh Hashana meals a night early on Thursday night this year, to 'protests' on beaches, a large anti-Netanyahu Rosh Hashana meal and people travelling to parks and other places giving all sorts of excuses. (One pregnant woman said she's going to the hospital and meanwhile her son piped up from the back 'When are we getting to the park already?').

So unfortunately it seems that it's something that many aren't taking seriously, this doesn't seem to have much to do with which circle people belong too, but with the fact that people are just fed up. Though I hope this doesn't lead to an even more serious situation ch''v because the numbers keep climbing.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics