Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is a bread machine worth it? If yes, recommendation please!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:31 pm
I was thinking about making my own whole wheat bread using white whole wheat.

Would a bread machine be worthwhile for this purpose?

How easy is it to use? To clean?

Do you have to mix and knead the dough or you just put in the ingredients?

Teomima

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:42 pm
I heard something very smart about bread machines: if you're the kind of person who already makes their own bread, then a bread machine is great. If you're not, then you won't use it.

While it's certainly easier than making bread by hand, you still have to measure ingredients, wait several hours for the whole process to finish, and clean up afterwards (you don't have to mix anything yourself). So that might be too much for someone who doesn't already make their own bread whereas if you do, it's less work total.

We got a machine as a wedding gift and I used it regularly for thirteen years till it finally died on me. Dh went right out and bought the exact same one. Especially this year during lockdown (I'm in Israel) I use it a ton, thought most of the time I just make dough (that I'll then use for rolls or pizza).

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was thinking about making my own whole wheat bread using white whole wheat.

Would a bread machine be worthwhile for this purpose?

How easy is it to use? To clean?

Do you have to mix and knead the dough or you just put in the ingredients?

I have a bread machine and a Bosch. In truth, the bread machine is a very delicate soul. You use it to make a max of two loaves, or if there's a specialty bread you like. I've used it for pizza dough, cheddar cheese buns, I used to make the bread machine challah from the kosher pallette in it. It's fine. But it's a large item for such a minimal use, and it's finicky. You have to get the dough consistency just right and make sure it kneads the whole thing, and check on it. I then got a Bosch, because I figured that once I was making challah, I needed a machine that would really make a bunch so I can say the bracha.

I use my Bosch much more, and it can be used to do what you described as well. I can also use it to make cookie doughs and (in theory) mix egg whites. The latter is the only thing that I think a kitchenaid does better.

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:31 pm
IMHO, here's the best thing about a bread maker: it is the best alarm clock or aromatherapy device you can buy.

If getting your family up and out of the house in the morning is a problem, set up the ingredients and timer so that the bread is ready about 2 1/2 hours before everyone has to be out the door. The smell will permeate the house. Make a rule that no one gets fresh bread unless he/she is fully dressed and prepared to leave. This goes for husbands, too. Only then may they wash and sit down like civilized people to eat the warm fresh bread.

Personally, $90-$150 was a small price to pay for this kind of motivation, but not everyone's family is comprised of morning slugs.

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 3:42 pm
Well, there are pros and cons.

First, I don't know if it is really worth the work to make your own bread. It might actually be cheaper and less hassle to buy it.

The main reasons why I don't have one are:
It takes up space in the kitchen.
You have to clean it.

I prefer to make my bread by hand. I never owned a kitchen robot or bread machine, I have always kneaded my challe-dough or bread-dough by hand... partly because I am intimidated by the size of those machines... (specially to store the away, take them out etc.)

The advantages are: you can leave it over night and be woken up by the smell of fresh bread if you time it right... but you still would have to clean it before you go out...

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:06 pm
I use mine to make Challah which come out great. I bought the biggest size the 3lb one. I use it every week. I get 3 small to medium challahs out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Tziril Miriam

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 4:13 pm
We have an old Panasonic bread machine from 1990, and my husband uses it about once a week. He starts a loaf late in the evening, and sets the machine's timer to finish in the morning. A perfect, aromatic loaf is ready when we get up.

He's experimented a bit, as he likes to control the taste and whether the bread is tender (soft), chewy, or crisp. We use King Arthur all-purpose flour, and yeast bought in 2-lb containers. He chooses one or two add-ins, such as dried cranberries, dried blueberries, raisins, sliced almonds, or sesame seeds. Also spices, like cinnamon. There is a spice called "an everything bagel", but we don't like garlic so we don't use it.

His add-ins are very successful because he has restraint and doesn't combine too many add-ins at once. The smell and taste are wonderful.

The specific model breadmaker is long out of production, but Panasonic still produces modern versions today.

Clean-up is easy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:13 pm
What I got from this thread is that it's not worthwhile for me.

Any other ideas of how to make homemade whole wheat bread? Will it last decently in the freezer?

I just don't like the store-bought whole wheat bread, but I love my whole wheat challah!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Any other ideas of how to make homemade whole wheat bread? Will it last decently in the freezer?

I just don't like the store-bought whole wheat bread, but I love my whole wheat challah!

I make my own homemade whole wheat bread with a Bosch machine. I freeze them and they're delicious. When I take them out of the freezer, I put them in the oven and they taste like I just made them. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 5:41 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I make my own homemade whole wheat bread with a Bosch machine. I freeze them and they're delicious. When I take them out of the freezer, I put them in the oven and they taste like I just made them. Good luck!

Which recipe do you use? How many pounds of dough at a time?

ChanieMommy

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I used to experiment with whole wheat bread or challe, but whole wheat is not that easy to handle.

No I switched to rye sourdough bread with part rye, part whole grain rye and part white flour or spelt...

I bake bread once a week, on Sunday or Monday, a loaf of bread and three sheets of crackers, from the same dough... Rye bread holds for the whole week, or you can toast it if it's a bit stale, and it satiates for a long time. I am really astonished... (and on Friday I bake challot with regular white flour)

Also: Pumpernickel is a good and healthy whole grain bread, satisfies for a long time, you can keep it for a month or more... but this you would have to buy, the production process is too long and complex to make at home...

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 7:02 pm
I love my Zojirushi bread machine, use it all the time, super easy to clean.

We make challah, keto friendly rolls, pizza dough, whole wheat bread, and more.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:33 pm
I’d rather just get a Bosch

challahchallah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 8:58 pm
imasinger wrote:

Yes—I love my Zojirushi bread machine too! And once I’ve made a recipe before, I definitely don’t check it mid cycle. The ability to have a time delay between when I put the ingredients in and when the finished product is ready is a game changer. Cleaning is easy peasy.

A mixer is more versatile, but a bread machine is so simple (insert ingredients and out comes fully baked bread) and you can adjust the timing to work with your schedule. If you make a lot of bread, it’s definitely worth it.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 9:58 pm
I also have the Zojirushi, it's great!

I use it to make whole wheat bread.

L K

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:03 pm
What model zojirushi do you guys recommend?

And a recipe for whole wheat bread please!
And rye bread!!

Fox

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:08 pm
imasinger wrote:

This is the brand I had, and it was a workhorse. Used it for years.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:11 pm
L K wrote:
What model zojirushi do you guys recommend?

And a recipe for whole wheat bread please!
And rye bread!!

I have the Zojirushi BB-PDC20. I had the older version before that, which I used multiple times a week for over a decade and was still going strong when I passed it along to a friend and splurged for the new model.

L K

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:21 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I have the Zojirushi BB-PDC20. I had the older version before that, which I used multiple times a week for over a decade and was still going strong when I passed it along to a friend and splurged for the new model.

A $500 machine? Im experiencing a sticker shock ...

challahchallah

Post Wed, Sep 23 2020, 11:23 pm
L K wrote:
A $500 machine? Im experiencing a sticker shock ...

They’ve gone way up in price now that the pandemic has caused extra demand. It was not nearly that expensive when I bought it a year and a half ago. Hopefully prices will return to normal again soon. It is still an investment, though.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics