Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can we stop with the word "uptick" already?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:21 am
Amarante wrote:
So you want to think that for some reason there is a vendetta against neighborhoods - for what purpose? They are sending out messages; conferring with community leaders and distributing supplies like masks and sanitizers?

They aren't dragging people away or locking them up or taking punitive measures.

I read the statistics and there is an increase in cases in certain zip codes and no increase in other zip codes. A few neighborhoods accounted for 20% of new cases in the past few weeks. That should be cause for alarm by people in those neighborhoods. They should be thankful to be alerted that COVID is spreading around them and they should be extra careful to avoid infecting themselves and those around them.

I really don't understand why there is so much controversy and people assume that public health officials have some kind of secret agenda with an intent to harm people. Banging head Banging head

I think many people still have the alteheim mentality regarding the government. While it's no roses over here and there's plenty of corruption, it's certainly not the Nazis or Stalin or Cossacks coming to take the Jews away!

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:27 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Follow some of the instagram accounts that are reporting what is happening, frum Jews are being harassed by contract tracers who are calling them multiple times a day, coming to visit, offering to take kids to quarantine hotels by themselves, etc. It is pretty scary and the harassment needs to stop already and if the only way to stop it is to say they went to a protest then so be it. But I guess you wont understand that until they come for you.

Since there are no quarantine hotels in New York I can't take your post seriously.

There SHOULD be quarantine hotels in New York City (and other places) because many people don't have the physical ability to quarantine.

Once an incorrect statement of fact is made which is indisputable, all the rest of a statement is suspect.

And why amother? I don't understand why people are amother when they are theoretically information and not anything that is in anyway personal

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:28 am
SixOfWands wrote:
This site -- kindly provided by someone in another thread (I forget who you are, but thanks again) shows recent case rate by zip code, and does show higher levels of infection in several heavily Jewish areas.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page

How did these same officials react and do when the uptick was higher in other neighborhoods? And are they now changing their stance that coronvirus affects minorities (Jews not included) disproportionately and therefore worried about "white" people or do the statistics remain the same (which reinforces that Jews are being singled out for disparate treatment)?
And as I posted previously, the day to day numbers are no different than the previous few months I.e. June 13, 916 cases, June 6, 1108 cases, June 26- 805 cases,July 3- 918, July 10-786, July 14- 912, August 12- 700, August 27-791, Sept 23-792 (and are still below 1%) so there is no reason for the hysteria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....cases

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:30 am
There are huge lines at the Monsey urgent care centers and they are all out of rapid tests and the other tests take 2 to 4 days to get the results.
I don't think that all of the people are symptomatic and some may need tests for other reasons.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:30 am
Amarante wrote:
Since there are no quarantine hotels in New York I can't take your post seriously.

There SHOULD be quarantine hotels in New York City (and other places) because many people don't have the physical ability to quarantine.

Once an incorrect statement of fact is made which is indisputable, all the rest of a statement is suspect.

And why amother? I don't understand why people are amother when they are theoretically information and not anything that is in anyway personal

Yes, there are quarantine hotels in NY and Jewish families are being harassed by contract tracers who are saying that their kids should go to a quarantine hotel. Maybe do some research before you attack people-- https://www1.nyc.gov/site/help......page

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:32 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
How did these same officials react and do when the uptick was higher in other neighborhoods? And are they now changing their stance that coronvirus affects minorities (Jews not included) disproportionately and therefore worried about "white" people or do the statistics remain the same (which reinforces that Jews are being singled out for disparate treatment)?
And as I posted previously, the day to day numbers are no different than the previous few months I.e. June 13, 916 cases, June 6, 1108 cases, June 26- 805 cases,July 3- 918, July 10-786, July 14- 912, August 12- 700, August 27-791, Sept 23-792 (and are still below 1%) so there is no reason for the hysteria.

Based on the news articles, there were upticks in some neighborhoods and they sent the same type of resources.

The current actions are based on where the new cases are occurring. In other words, other zip codes are stable or lowering versus zip codes in which cases are rising.

That is why it is an uptick.

Why are people so intent on attempting to prove that there is no increase in cases in certain zip codes. If I lived in those zip codes, I would want to know this information.

I am in Los Angeles and it has a COVID tracking page and I check it out every day. It lists neighborhoods and it also lists every store or workplace that has diagnosed cases including the number of cases.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
The numbers were higher during the riots and protests, the numbers continue to fluctuate and are no different than previous months. It is still less than 1% so the hysteria is uncalled for. Furthermore, to focus solely on the Jewish area is an outrage but then again, it is a holiday and we already know that the NY govt is anti-semitic and have previously singled out frum Jews so there is no reason to think that they wouldnt single us out again.

But my point about the protests was that the govt cannot ask anyone if they went to a protests as that would be against the first amendment but religious freedom is also under the first amendment therefore the govt cannot ask anyone about religion either. But if push comes to shove then religious Jews should say they went to protests so that will silence the govt and not allow them to persecute Jews further.

Here are the day to day statistics showing that there is indeed no uptick or increase but is relatively the same as previous months (keeping in mind that more people traveled during the summer months than they do now)-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....cases

Wow, just wow. Just so much wrong with all your comments. Wow. Can't Believe It

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

The uptick has reached a point in those areas where there is a need for concern. It has exceeded the threshold for a new lockdown, should it spread city wide.

You are posting STATEWIDE numbers. And the fact that things are looking really good in Steuben and Herkimer isn't very relevant to people in Kings.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Yes, there are quarantine hotels in NY and Jewish families are being harassed by contract tracers who are saying that their kids should go to a quarantine hotel. Maybe do some research before you attack people-- https://www1.nyc.gov/site/help......page

I stand corrected but I still doubt that children would be allowed without a parent or guardian. Perhaps it is being misinterpreted in terms of adults NOT being able to bring children and therefore logistically difficult to leave children at home.

In Israel the quarantine hotels were extremely helpful when they were implemented.

Again I don't understand why being offered services that would help stop a disease is a bad thing.

What possible nefarious purpose does the health department have in using the measures that have been shown to e effective - e.g. education on masks and social distancing; contact tracing and even quarantine hotels.

If I were exposed to someone with COVID, I would be thankful if the government had adequate contact tracers and let me know of the potential exposure. I could then evaluate my own risks and what measures I should take. Knowledge is a good thing - why is knowledge a bad thing in terms of Covid exposure?

fleetwood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:45 am
Amarante wrote:
Based on the news articles, there were upticks in some neighborhoods and they sent the same type of resources.

The current actions are based on where the new cases are occurring. In other words, other zip codes are stable or lowering versus zip codes in which cases are rising.

That is why it is an uptick.

Why are people so intent on attempting to prove that there is no increase in cases in certain zip codes. If I lived in those zip codes, I would want to know this information.

I am in Los Angeles and it has a COVID tracking page and I check it out every day. It lists neighborhoods and it also lists every store or workplace that has diagnosed cases including the number of cases.

Yup. Same thing happened in sunset park. Same measures were taken to educate and to test.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 11:58 am
I just saw the funniest joke, perhaps there's some truth to it? I think the hysteria that there's an uptick is just putting us in a panic. Yes, we need to be careful and follow regulations. But there's no reason to panic.
"There's an uptick in Covid cases since more people are testing. If more people would take an IQ test, there'd be an uptick in idiots as well".

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The uptick has reached a point in those areas where there is a need for concern. It has exceeded the threshold for a new lockdown, should it spread city wide.

You are posting STATEWIDE numbers. And the fact that things are looking really good in Steuben and Herkimer isn't very relevant to people in Kings.

If this is STATEWIDE numbers then NYC numbers are even lower and there is indeed no need for this kind of hysteria and panic and Jews are indeed being singled out because of the holidays and daring to open our schools. Thanks for clarifying.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
I stand corrected but I still doubt that children would be allowed without a parent or guardian. Perhaps it is being misinterpreted in terms of adults NOT being able to bring children and therefore logistically difficult to leave children at home.

In Israel the quarantine hotels were extremely helpful when they were implemented.

Again I don't understand why being offered services that would help stop a disease is a bad thing.

What possible nefarious purpose does the health department have in using the measures that have been shown to e effective - e.g. education on masks and social distancing; contact tracing and even quarantine hotels.

If I were exposed to someone with COVID, I would be thankful if the government had adequate contact tracers and let me know of the potential exposure. I could then evaluate my own risks and what measures I should take. Knowledge is a good thing - why is knowledge a bad thing in terms of Covid exposure?

They want to take young children out of their homes and put them in isolation at hotels by themselves. If you dont consider that to be child abuse and harassment towards Jews then we have nothing further to discuss. Good Yom Tov.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
They want to take young children out of their homes and put them in isolation at hotels by themselves. If you dont consider that to be child abuse and harassment towards Jews then we have nothing further to discuss. Good Yom Tov.

Please cite a reliable source for this.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:40 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
There is a marked increase in cases in certain NYC neighborhoods. If it continues, schools in those areas will be closed. If it spreads, NYC will experience additional restrictions, including school closures.

Whatever you think of the protests, there was no resultant increase in covid cases. Maybe because it was summer. Maybe because it was outdoors. Maybe because so many people were young, or because there was some mask wearing. Maybe plain dumb luck. But there was no action to take.

Maybe you don't care if people -- particularly frum people -- get sick or die, but I do.

BTW, OP, it is still an "uptick." If people button down and take it seriously, I am hopeful that it can be contained and controlled.

Shana tova.

Where I live the case numbers were way higher during the protests/riots (because it was a riot at points). And are less now. But tracers couldn't ask if the person went to a protest so those cases weren't tied to protests.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 12:59 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Please cite a reliable source for this.

This is from the parents themselves but I dont think they went to the media about it. Feel free to reach out to @mlwdesignny who has posted some of it on her stories, perhaps she can put you in touch with people for direct sources.

boots

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:27 pm
According to the information provided by NYC children under 18 are only admited to the hotel if a legal guardian comes to stay with them:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/he.....e.pdf

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:42 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
This is from the parents themselves but I dont think they went to the media about it. Feel free to reach out to @mlwdesignny who has posted some of it on her stories, perhaps she can put you in touch with people for direct sources.

I would not take anything she says seriously. She tends to blow everything out of proportion and thinks that all guidelines and laws regarding covid is anti semitism. She made an anti mask movement among other things. Her views are pretty misguided.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 1:42 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I just saw the funniest joke, perhaps there's some truth to it? I think the hysteria that there's an uptick is just putting us in a panic. Yes, we need to be careful and follow regulations. But there's no reason to panic.
"There's an uptick in Covid cases since more people are testing. If more people would take an IQ test, there'd be an uptick in idiots as well".

Not funny. A 70 yr old man from Williamsburg was just placed on a ventilator. Refuah Shalaima.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2020, 2:06 pm
Rabbi Dr. Glatt is using the term "surge" now...and sharing some important points: https://5townscentral.com/2020.....ties/
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics