Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you have hot food for breaking the fast?
1  2  3  Next

Success10

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:08 pm
Even if I prepare a ziti or a quiche now, it takes time to heat it up from out of the fridge, and I can only put it in to heat up (or cook if it's still raw) after the fast ends. So we would not be breaking the fast on it, we'd be eating sandwiches and probably be a bit full by the time it's done.

Do any of you have hot food at the break the fast meal, and if so, how do you make that work?

juggling

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:15 pm
We do. Usually with maariv and kiddush levana I have half an hour or more from the time the fast ends until everyone is ready to eat. This year we'll all be davening at home so presumably I'll have a bit less time. I'm still thinking to do a ziti, though, since I'm not sure we'll have enough food options without. I could probably have everyone microwave their plates if it isn't hot in time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:17 pm
Nope, we break it on a family tradition of sweet cheese cake and then a bit later always tuna, veggies, bagels or pita and orange juice.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:19 pm
My friend used to make chulent for her children to eat for lunch, then put it back on the platta and she and her husband would eat it after the fast. I never understood how they could eat something so heavy to break the fast.

Another friend makes a vegetable soup, and she leaves shul right after Ne'ila, and puts it on the stove as soon as she gets home. Her husband stays for Ma'ariv and Kiddush Levana. By the time he gets home and they make havdallah and have a drink of water the soup is hot.

I often do eggs, which only take minutes to cook. Or there is always the microwave...

juggling

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nope, we break it on a family tradition of sweet cheese cake and then a bit later always tuna, veggies, bagels or pita and orange juice.

Yum. I wish that was our family tradition LOL

Elfrida

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:27 pm
Growing up we always had a full Yom Tov seuda to break the fast. It was considered to be the Yom Tov meal that we couldn't have during Yom Kippur, and celebrating our having been forgiven and making a fresh start. It was milchics (mostly parev) and was a fairly light meal, but still soup, salad, fish and side dishes, dessert.

I rather regret that I haven't maintained that tradition. It made it a special evening. But especially this year I don't have time for the extra cooking.

Success10

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:46 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

We do something similar to this, but not the cheesecake. Although, after reading your post, I might want to change our minhag to match yours.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 4:59 pm
I like to break it on soup. I will just make a bigger chicken soup for before the fast. We’ll likely have extra chicken and other leftovers. Apparently it’s good to have fruit first.
I think it’s okay to drink water before havdalla. I need to ask for DD, it’s her first YK.

ora_43

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 5:11 pm
We have vegetable soup. Nutritious, and OK for those of us (mostly me) who have trouble with solid food right after the fast.

We put it on a burner right after the fast ends. In the first few minutes people mostly want to drink, and by the time everyone's ready for food the soup is hot (and if it isn't, whoever's desperate can heat some up in the microwave).

chanchy123

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 6:31 pm
I grew up breaking the fast on orange juice and a pastry then you heat up a vegetable soup (doesn’t take more than 5-10 minutes to bring to a boil). My mother then serves a feast (fish, bagels and spreads or garlic bread, sometimes lasagna and/or other pasta and more depending on the crowd) I find that juice, a pastry and soup is enough.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 8:14 pm
. I can’t see burdening my innards with a hot meal after a fast.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 8:17 pm
We break the fast after havdala on cake, coffee, fruit, water, and then we have a regular Yom tov meal (leftovers from erev YK).

saralem

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 8:20 pm
No hot food. Bagel, sliced vegetables and lox. Orange juice. Coffee!

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 8:55 pm
I’m home all day so I say baruch hamavdil and put challah soup and chicken up to warm. My husband makes a regular seudah. I have cake and coffee. Cheesy eggs if I’m in the mood of protein.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:32 pm
I make scrambled eggs and toast. It is pretty fast to make.

Frumme

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:42 pm
Does toasting my bagel count?

Genius

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:49 pm
We break it on coffee cake and juice and have a regular Yom Tov sueda a bit later when everyone’s back to their usual energized selves

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:50 pm
Veggie soup and toast (some like it with cream cheese) and plenty of fluids. If anyone needs more after that then we scramble an egg.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 9:53 pm
We break the fast on tea and coffee, crackers rice cakes cheese cream cheese
Meanwhile I heat butternut squash soup and spinach and cheese quiche
If anyone wants they eat

STovah

Post Sat, Sep 26 2020, 11:15 pm
We sit down to a Yom tov style meal, usually challah, soup and a meat or chicken. We did not grow up with this tradition but we started a few years ago and like it very much.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note