Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can a person get covid a 2nd time?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:10 pm
I did not hear anyone getting it a 2nd time . When will we know? I already had it and so did my family. My parents have it now and I was there 2 days ago. I think we all are being the most cautious we can , we have to know that we do ours and the rest hashem will take care.

Please let's all storm the heavens for a very healthy, happy, year and may the covid just disappear all the way and we should only hear good things .

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:15 pm
Can a person get covid a 2nd time?

Still unknown. The cases of those who are sick yet again, don't have proof of 2 positive tests from back then and now to decide if it's really a reinfection.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:16 pm
I have heard of reinfections, including people who had tested positive for antibodies and believed they got it before recently testing positive and being sick

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 27 2020, 5:25 pm
Amen Op to your beautiful brocha!!!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 1:57 pm
According to DH, only two people in the world have gotten it twice. (A lady in israel, and a man in the US)
I read the article to mean 2 in Israel.
For all we know though, the negative test was faulty.
So who knows?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 3:30 pm
I know of a bunch of people who have gotten sick twice. Not just tested positive- sick in bed 2x
I’m not saying it’s common but it’s definitely possible.

Success10

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I know of a bunch of people who have gotten sick twice. Not just tested positive- sick in bed 2x

Did they get sick twice, or did the same viral infection lie dormant for a few months and resurface?

I know you can't answer that, but it's just something to think about.

Also I got mono twice, and my brother got chicken pox twice, so there are rare exceptions to everything. I'm hoping that with Covid it's the exception and not the norm to get it twice, but it's too early to tell.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 3:39 pm
With most coronaviruses, immunity doesn't last for very long. Think of the common cold.

Hopefully that won't be the case with this one though.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 4:59 pm
Iymnok wrote:
According to DH, only two people in the world have gotten it twice. (A lady in israel, and a man in the US)
I read the article to mean 2 in Israel.
For all we know though, the negative test was faulty.
So who knows?

I was only able to find news reports about a doctor in Israel who may have gotten it twice (in July) but found a medical paper about a case in Hong Kong.
https://academic.oup.com/cid/a.....97019

To be certain that it's reinfection and not re-emergence of the original infection (which happens with some viruses), both infections need to be sequenced and found to be different.

There have also been reports of people in which antibodies weren't found after they had recovered which may mean they're susceptible to reinfection. It's also possible that antibodies decrease over time.

This article about the Israeli case (from a medical news site, which doesn't link to any papers) says there were reports of from Canada, Japan, South Korea, and the United States but didn't provide details.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 8:04 pm
Dh and I got it now for the first time.

At the testing center all the people getting positives we’re getting h it did the first time.

We waited on line for 3 hours with everyone else. Even though they were sick they still had the strength to wait. So as far as I can see it’s pretty mild and I hope it stays this way.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:16 pm
I am sick now after having antibodies but don't know if I had it in winter or not.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:23 pm
They are saying the tests are so sensitive it’s picking up leftovers from the positive virus a person had a few months ago. Not every time someone is sick is it covid. So that being said no they can’t get it twice but it can linger in the body for months.

chestnut

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:24 pm
That's a million dollar question. I read about a Hong kong man and a person in the US. There are definitely people in our communities who are getting it now after either a positive in spring or having antibodies earlier. No way to know if it's a reinfection or leftover from last time or false tests. These people aren't being tested as thoroughly as these Hong Kong and American guys were.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

DH is just getting over it a second time. It was worse. He got it very early on the first time and had antibodies. I don’t know how common it is either.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 9:41 pm
It’s unusual but yes. It’s not known how long antibodies persist. If a person was infected early on and their antibodies since declined, they would be susceptible to a reinfection.

nchr

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:17 pm
Someone can get COVID19 twice, the question is how soon. Based on our understanding of the most similar virus, SARS, ppl probably have immunity for 12-18 months. There is always a portion of a population that will not develop the necessary immune response to be protective though, so a small portion may not have immunity for any period of time. Those people probably are less than 1% of the population and generally will be immune compromised due to age, medications or a medical condition which did not allow them to generate the appropriate response.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:22 pm
I am personally aware of 5 people in Lakewood who had it in March, tested positive for antibodies, and got it again in the last week. Two of them donated plasma previously. 3 of them have previously tested negative after April. They all have symptoms now and tested positive on the highly accurate PCR tests.

I also saw someone from Crown Heights who has donated plasma and now has it again.

Cases were rare, but they are quickly becoming more common. It seems that just like with other coronaviruses, the antibodies last around 3-6 months- which is just about where we are now in the frum communities.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:24 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
They are saying the tests are so sensitive it’s picking up leftovers from the positive virus a person had a few months ago. Not every time someone is sick is it covid. So that being said no they can’t get it twice but it can linger in the body for months.

Aha, you’re positive of that? And I haven’t yet heard of lingering viral particles more than 8 weeks out. Now it’s 6 months later- methinks you’re living in a fantasy world.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:38 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Aha, you’re positive of that? And I haven’t yet heard of lingering viral particles more than 8 weeks out. Now it’s 6 months later- methinks you’re living in a fantasy world.

Seriously cause I read different information then you ?? No I’m not living in la la land!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 28 2020, 10:43 pm
Well I am in the hospital right now with my husband who is sick. He had it back in April and now is sick again with some of the same symptoms.
We are waiting for results.
I do know some top doctors and top scientists who said that can't get it again.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics