Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do I have to inform people if a family member tested negativ

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:16 pm
So my husband was sick and had to go to the hospital.
He tested negative for Covid.
A friend asked me if he was negative because the shul he davens in was asking.
Of course if he was positive I would inform everyone who was around him.
Someone spread a rumor that we were quarantining because he was positive.
I had kept everyone home until my husband test came back negative.

So why do I feel like asking if he tested positive as an invasion of privacy.
If anyone is concerned they could call me or my husband why does my friend have to be the middle man?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:23 pm
First of all, refuah sheleima.

I am thinking that this is the most sensitive way they could think of finding out whether their lives are in danger right now.

I wouldn't get upset about it. Think about it from their perspective.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 9:25 pm
I understand where you're coming from, OP. You're dealing with a crisis that you want to keep private, and it feels very invasive for people to ask.

Unfortunately, in today's climate, people don't know that you would tell them if he were positive. That's why they're asking. It's not your fault that others don't inform, but it's understandable that people want to know.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:03 pm
They are asking because there’s a chance that if someone tested positive they could be embarrassed and not so forthcoming unless asked directly.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:12 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I understand where you're coming from, OP. You're dealing with a crisis that you want to keep private, and it feels very invasive for people to ask.

Unfortunately, in today's climate, people don't know that you would tell them if he were positive. That's why they're asking. It's not your fault that others don't inform, but it's understandable that people want to know.
[b]
This.
People are understandably nervous about having been exposed.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:14 pm
They are asking because they are concerned for their own health and the health of their loved ones if they were exposed to someone with covid.

Also, if your husband is relatively young and healthy and just randomly became so ill he needed to go to the hospital, I wouldn't be so quick to trust the negative test. If he tested too soon it could be a false negative. If his symptoms remain or get worse, he needs to get tested again.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 10:33 pm
I did tell my friend the reason he went to the hospital and what the diagnosis was it had nothing to do with Covid.
So why do I have to say anything.
Why could I just say it had nothing to do with Covid and leave it at that.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did tell my friend the reason he went to the hospital and what the diagnosis was it had nothing to do with Covid.
So why do I have to say anything.
Why could I just say it had nothing to do with Covid and leave it at that.

You can who said you can’t?

You can say it was negative and leave it at that.
It makes sense people were asking, but the only answer you have to give is he was negative,p.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2020, 11:33 pm
I assume they want to know because (a) they are concerned about his health and (b) they want to know if they need to quarantine/get tested themselves.

It is a reasonable question.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:03 am
I feel for you.
I would tell her what you said here.
Or just "he tested negative B"H" and cut the call(s) short and say you have to go take care of him.

Refuah Shlaimah!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:36 am
I am not really sure why her asking me is bothering me.
I told her why my husband went into the hospital it not a secret. It has nothing to do with Covid. So why is it bothering me if she asks me about if he is negative?
For some reason I feel she is invading my privacy. If he didnt go to the hospital but just was sick and went to the doctor with the same results would anyone ask if he is Covid positive?

I told her it was not Covid related.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 30 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not really sure why her asking me is bothering me.
I told her why my husband went into the hospital it not a secret. It has nothing to do with Covid. So why is it bothering me if she asks me about if he is negative?
For some reason I feel she is invading my privacy. If he didnt go to the hospital but just was sick and went to the doctor with the same results would anyone ask if he is Covid positive?

I told her it was not Covid related.

This whole carona situation is invasive in nature. All the rules, masks, and talk of contact tracing. Certain facilities requiring testing etc. So it's understandable that you're feeling invaded. Hope you're husband feels better soon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics