Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can I brag a minute-I did not spend any trip $ on chol moed
1  2  Next

lk1234

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:13 am
This is a huge victory for me. Partly due to covid, partly due to my new found sense of being extremely careful with my money, I did not spend any money on activities this chol hamoed! In the past I felt so much pressure from my kids to go places -some bigger than others, an amusement park, bowling, mini golf. This chol hamoed I spend $0!. My kids were the same happy (or unhappy) if I had spent the money. Average I'd spend in the past was around $300. I am so happy that I saved all that money.

Instead- we went to local parks and brought a basketball. I made a "picnic" in the sukka and bought Ice cream (okay that was $10).

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:50 am
Wow! Good for you!
We tried keeping the spending to a minimum, but still spent a little. The first day we just chilled at home and played.
2nd day we made fancy soap; grated down a soap bar, melted it, and put it in a mold to set. The mold was about $8 on Amazon. We also put plaster in the mold afterwards, and had pretty plaster to paint.
On Wednesday we went to the Bronx zoo (free day). Parking was $17.
Thursday we went to a park with a lake. We played ball, tag, rode bikes and went fishing. I spent $35 on a kids fishing rod on Amazon, and we took turns. We had a really great time, even without the fishing, and it can totally be skipped if someone's on a tighter budget.
Spent a total of $60 over 3 trips/activities. It's now that little, but I think we did pretty well.

ExtraCredit

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:50 am
lk1234 wrote:
This is a huge victory for me. Partly due to covid, partly due to my new found sense of being extremely careful with my money, I did not spend any money on activities this chol hamoed! In the past I felt so much pressure from my kids to go places -some bigger than others, an amusement park, bowling, mini golf. This chol hamoed I spend $0!. My kids were the same happy (or unhappy) if I had spent the money. Average I'd spend in the past was around $300. I am so happy that I saved all that money.

Instead- we went to local parks and brought a basketball. I made a "picnic" in the sukka and bought Ice cream (okay that was $10).

The bolded is so true. Spending more doesn’t make them happier. In fact it sounds like you gave them a real fun time.
I also spent less than usual due to covid and our usual destinations being closed. Can’t say they were happier when we did more. Who need more than Ice cream anyway?

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:51 am
Wow we are all very proud! Can't say the same:) Just the tolls came out over $30...

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:52 am
I wanted to but got carried away. Kudos to you!

Reality

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:53 am
Better not have taken a free trip on the Staten Island Ferry or the keyboard warriors will have your head!!

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:55 am
We spent very little, but I can't say $0.
First day we visited my parents, spent the day in her house and succah - FREE
Second day we went to a local park - FREE
Third day we went to a zoo - $20
Fourth day we visited my in laws - FREE

We spent money on gas and tolls when visiting my parents and in laws as well.

Reality

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:56 am
But more seriously, good for you OP.

We also only went to state parks and the beach. Those are free but not all so close to where I live so I think we need to count gas and tolls.

Also, not so organized with the food so had to buy takeout for supper one night. But totally worth it because it is such a rare treat my kids were ecstatic!

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 11:57 am
We almost didn’t spend any money
First day - park
Second day- a “new” playground
Third day- a local reptile exhibit $36 total for the whole family
Fourth day- family reunion , gas and tolls
Our kids had a grand time playing with cousins and friends, but admittedly they are all under 5.

lk1234

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:00 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
The bolded is so true. Spending more doesn’t make them happier. In fact it sounds like you gave them a real fun time.
I also spent less than usual due to covid and our usual destinations being closed. Can’t say they were happier when we did more. Who need more than Ice cream anyway?

Yes!! It only took me 2 decades to learn this. Oh well Smile

amother
Olive

So we spent less than usual too.
1st day was local park and playground. Spent $6 on a kite (that lasted 5 minutes)
2nd day went to the beach. Free
3rd day went to museum of natural history. Paid $20 (pay as you wish)

amother
Copper

As an activity you can make your own icecream in a mason jar.
Each person can make their own flavor.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SFZ75ly-cI8

It’s so much fun and yummy

lk1234

Reality wrote:
Better not have taken a free trip on the Staten Island Ferry or the keyboard warriors will have your head!!

Lol - I watch the drama from afar. Ironically we've done that in the past Smile

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:01 pm
We also didn’t spend any $ at all on any outings. So I spent some extra money to make two special Chol Hamoed dinners instead .

lk1234

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:02 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
We spent very little, but I can't say $0.
First day we visited my parents, spent the day in her house and succah - FREE
Second day we went to a local park - FREE
Third day we went to a zoo - $20
Fourth day we visited my in laws - FREE

We spent money on gas and tolls when visiting my parents and in laws as well.

Nice!

lk1234

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:02 pm
Reality wrote:
But more seriously, good for you OP.

We also only went to state parks and the beach. Those are free but not all so close to where I live so I think we need to count gas and tolls.

Also, not so organized with the food so had to buy takeout for supper one night. But totally worth it because it is such a rare treat my kids were ecstatic!

It's so good to splurge on take out once in a while - when you do it the kids get so excited!!

lk1234

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:04 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
We also didn’t spend any $ at all on any outings. So I spent some extra money to make two special Chol Hamoed dinners instead .

So smart!

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:04 pm
Two sets of grandchildren were in quarantine so they got stuff delivered. One set is in lockdown in Israel. One set went to the bungalow colony where the kids had some structured outdoor activities that did cost money and the other two went to natural places such as apple picking.

Reality

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 12:34 pm
Also, we should include how old your kids are. Much easier to entertain young kids for free than older kids. Most of my kids are teenagers so I needed to travel further to find exciting parks for them. They are beyond pretty much every NYC park already.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Oct 09 2020, 1:59 pm
Same actually, but I plan on taking them somewhere Monday if it doesn’t rain that will cost a good amount.

Monday we hung out then took family pictures (BIL is a photographer) at a local park
Tuesday went to cape may zoo (free)
Wednesday went to the beach that also had a playground (free)
Thursday went for antibody testing 😂😂 (free!! Even me without insurance )
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics