Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
American yeshivish information for aliyah
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 6:09 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
There are some schools in Yerushalayim as well. For elementary boys there is Beit Raban in Neve Yaakov (but the boys come from all over the city)
For girls you have Ayelet Hashachar.
High school girls you have Lapidot, Bnot Chayil, Darkei Sara
High school (yeshiva) aged boys there is Maarava (outside Yerushalayim) and other like places.

Many of these schools are newer but growing at rapid pace.

Thanks! I think we're hoping to find somewhere outside Yerushalayim. We're coming from OOT and Yerushalayim as a city is pretty intense.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 6:33 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Bumping this up for more ideas!

Can you specify what you are looking for? Chareidi? Yeshivish? DL?

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
Can you specify what you are looking for? Chareidi? Yeshivish? DL?

Basically the same as OP. American Yeshivish (kollel, no smartphones...). We're looking for something Chareidi but not the intense Yerushalayim type. Something more out of towny I guess, with a mix of types.

We don't want to do RBS.

There were some ideas mentioned upthread but I'd love to hear from people who did it.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 1:57 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
Basically the same as OP. American Yeshivish (kollel, no smartphones...). We're looking for something Chareidi but not the intense Yerushalayim type. Something more out of towny I guess, with a mix of types.

We don't want to do RBS.

There were some ideas mentioned upthread but I'd love to hear from people who did it.

Do you want an Anglo community?

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 2:17 am
If you have older kids, RBS is really the place to be. The schools are really really new olim friendly. In the short time I've been living here, I've met so many people who started elsewhere and moved to RBS for their kids.

I really want to encourage people to take the leap of faith. We did it and every one of my kids love it here and would never move back to NY. Of course there are bumps, but we had bumps in NY too.

We've been here since the beginning of the school year. My kids all made friends. They still go to ulpan but they understand what is going on in class that is all in hebrew and they are getting good grades. My husband and I have never been happier. This was the best decision we ever made! (Since deciding to marry each other Very Happy

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 8:41 pm
Reality wrote:
If you have older kids, RBS is really the place to be. The schools are really really new olim friendly. In the short time I've been living here, I've met so many people who started elsewhere and moved to RBS for their kids.

I really want to encourage people to take the leap of faith. We did it and every one of my kids love it here and would never move back to NY. Of course there are bumps, but we had bumps in NY too.

We've been here since the beginning of the school year. My kids all made friends. They still go to ulpan but they understand what is going on in class that is all in hebrew and they are getting good grades. My husband and I have never been happier. This was the best decision we ever made! (Since deciding to marry each other Very Happy

How old were your kids? What circles did you come from and what circles are you part of now?
I'd love to hear more about your journey/experience etc!!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 8:55 pm
Thanks for this thread I am getting a lot of information. We have teenage daughters (12, 13, 15) and their education is our biggest fear that's stopping us from making aliyah. Do any of you have any insights I.e. did you make aliyah with teenagers to RBS and what was your experience getting them into the right schools (american yeshivish with bagruyiot) and how did they adapt and were they able to follow the curiculum and obtain their bagruyiot. Thanks a mil!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 10:09 pm
We made aliyah to RBS. We both have college degrees and work. My dh also learns with a set chavruta daily. RBS has a host of schools from right wing with non secular studies to middle road with secular studies for boys and girls to left wing including yeshiva day schools. We thought we needed a whole derech in life before we came but it’s not so. We chose a middle of the road school that right wing charedim say isn’t a real charedi school but we don’t really care what other people think. It’s a great school and the principals are tzadikim.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 1:36 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
We made aliyah to RBS. We both have college degrees and work. My dh also learns with a set chavruta daily. RBS has a host of schools from right wing with non secular studies to middle road with secular studies for boys and girls to left wing including yeshiva day schools. We thought we needed a whole derech in life before we came but it’s not so. We chose a middle of the road school that right wing charedim say isn’t a real charedi school but we don’t really care what other people think. It’s a great school and the principals are tzadikim.

Ironically, these schools have such a good name they are challenging for non anglos to get into. so they must be doing something right!

Reality

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 1:50 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
How old were your kids? What circles did you come from and what circles are you part of now?
I'd love to hear more about your journey/experience etc!!

My kids were between 7-17.

We are a JPF family, with a somewhat yeshivish background. I have a lot of yeshivish family as does my family. We were the more open minded ones, working right away but machshiv torah etc.

We are still super happy. My kids are well adjusted. My girls are in a chardal/Torani school. My boys in the most open minded chareidi school with full secular education. I'm not sure where I will send my boys for high school yet.

If you are thinking about coming, do your homework and then make the plunge. You won't regret it!

I'm happy to help anyone who needs advice etc.

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 1:59 am
Reality wrote:

We are a JPF family, with a somewhat yeshivish background. I have a lot of yeshivish family as does my family. We were the more open minded ones, working right away but machshiv torah etc.

We are still super happy. My kids are well adjusted. My girls are in a chardal/Torani school. My boys in the most open minded chareidi school with full secular education. I'm not sure where I will send my boys for high school yet.

If you are thinking about coming, do your homework and then make the plunge. You won't regret it!

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 2:02 am
Reality wrote:

Wow, that's amazing!

Reality

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 4:09 am
Wow, that's amazing!

It is and it isn't. I think people in the US don't realize how much the Anglo community has developed over the last few years. You can come with older kids and be just fine. There are so many options.

My kids in high school are doing full bagruot and BH got in the 90's on the ones she got her marks already. Israel wants olim to succeed. They give them extra points, extra time, different test taking options etc.

If your child isn't so academic, there are plenty of other options as well in RBS. There's a school geared for olim that gives an American high school diploma that is recognized in Israel.

I can't say enough that if you are making aliyah with older children, now is not the time to go off to some random beautiful cheap area. The time for that is when you are single, newlyweds or empty-nesters. The most important thing is having a strong community for your children to fall back on. I never considered any other area seriously besides for RBS. Even Yerushalayim, if you can afford it, doesn't have the range of services you may need as an English speaking family.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 5:21 am
If you don't fit into the chareidi or DL box RBS has middle of the road stuff. But not really anywhere else.

That's the issue.

Reality

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 6:55 am
LovesHashem wrote:
If you don't fit into the chareidi or DL box RBS has middle of the road stuff. But not really anywhere else.

That's the issue.

True, we don't fit into any box, but RBS has other things going for it for new Anglo olim.

For example, one of my kids has some behavioral issues in school. He was getting therapies in school in the US. I tried filling out all the papers to get him therapy through the kupah. Multiple times they told me I filled a different thing out wrong etc. I gave up. But simultaneously, I applied to a program special for olim in RBS. I was put on waiting list but we did get therapy. It is through the kupah so super reasonable and I was able to do the paperwork in English!

Things like that a huge deal for olim family. I don't understand why people say off the bat, not RBS. The services you need to make a successful aliyah, especially with school age kid, are here.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:29 am
Reality wrote:

Reality, is there an "Agudah" type of kehilla in rbs? We are an open minded yeshivish family. BYA/ Torah vdaas for reference... I worry about finding our niche.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 10:35 am
Reality, is there an "Agudah" type of kehilla in rbs? We are an open minded yeshivish family. BYA/ Torah vdaas for reference... I worry about finding our niche.

Yes, we are “agudah” type and we fit in beautifully in RBS. Been here a year now b”h. Feel free to ask us any questions.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 11:33 am
Yay!! Are there a lot of families like this?
What schools do you send to?
Is there a specific neighborhood with this type?

therealdeal1

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Ironically, these schools have such a good name they are challenging for non anglos to get into. so they must be doing something right!

Can I ask what school this is? Looking now for my son.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:26 pm
Reality wrote:

Where in Israel is the best place for yiddish and english speaking, chassidish boro parkers? young kids
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions