Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Igud hamosdos l’inyanei corona?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mothers

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I don't agree for the school to test via nose swab. It's very painful. The kids are very anxious about it.
They're very strict with sick kids coming to school, I think it's precaution enough.

Kids are often asymptomatic, and even those who eventually show symptoms have been contagious for a few days before that. Symptoms are a lagging indicator (if they even show up, at all) and by the time a kid feels sick, he/she may have infected his/her teacher(s), bus driver, and the entire class . . .

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:05 pm
youngishbear wrote:
What language was the robocaller ranting in?

I imagined only we yiddish-speaking Brooklyners were the lucky recipients of such annoyances.

Du redt Toivya Meir Neiman... Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:10 pm
keym wrote:
So you feel schools and yeshivas should stay closed indefinitely?

NO!

Mothers

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
by davening and saying tehilim. yom tefillas with all jews at the same time, I guess on the phone if we can't join together. storm the Heavens. only HaShem can bring a yeshua

Totally agree with davening, tehillim, Yom tefillah, etc. but in this world we need to do our hishtadlus (b’derech hateva) as well. Not following medical directives, etc. is equivalent to relying on a miracle, and ein somchin al haneis. The Gemara is full of medical advice. Although refuah (and protection) only come from Hashem, it was apparently not the expectation that people would only daven. . .

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:12 pm
youngishbear wrote:
On behalf of all of Brooklyn, I apologize for that unfortunate export.
LOL I was furious when they started “Bad enough the brooklynites are driving up the housing prices, now we have to deal with their telemarketers too!”

At least they learned to adapt to their audience. They’ve quoted r shmuel kamenetzky and r elya ber wachtfogel so they definitely get points for trying.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:13 pm
Mothers wrote:
Kids are often asymptomatic, and even those who eventually show symptoms have been contagious for a few days before that. Symptoms are a lagging indicator (if they even show up, at all) and by the time a kid feels sick, he/she may have infected his/her teacher(s), bus driver, and the entire class . . .

But if the families and people that the kids spend time with daily don't test as well, do they have anything from testing only the kids in school?

keym

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
NO!

Ok.
But the mosdos are saying that the government will possibly let them stay open if there are random mandatory tests.
And no tests, the government will definitely close.
So why is this so problematic?
Even a handful of false positives, will inconvenience a few families/classes. No where near the inconvenience of closing down the schools again.
I'm not comfortable with the nasal swabs because of the possible pain factor and my kids anxiety.
But saliva? Fine.
FTR, I would be ok with vaccinating in school (with consent) like they do in Israel.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
But if the families and people that the kids spend time with daily don't test as well, do they have anything from testing only the kids in school?

That's where contact tracing comes in.

If someone tests positive, all their close contacts need to go into quarantine to make sure they don't spread it further.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:19 pm
The saliva test is a DNA sample, just FYI.

syrima

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:19 pm
I feel left out. I get robocalls mostly in mandarin Confused

youngishbear

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:22 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
The saliva test is a DNA sample, just FYI.

From google:

DNA is contained in blood, semen, skin cells, tissue, organs, muscle, brain cells, bone, teeth, hair, saliva, mucus, perspiration, fingernails, urine, feces, etc.

So all Covid tests and strep cultures can potentially be used to harvest DNA material, though how much is needed to get good results probably varies.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:23 pm
syrima wrote:
I feel left out. I get robocalls mostly in mandarin Confused

I get calls about my car insurance.

I have never owned, least, or even driven a vehicle. What is up with that?

keym

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:27 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I get calls about my car insurance.

I have never owned, least, or even driven a vehicle. What is up with that?

I mostly have won vacations.
Also I've overpaid on my utilities, and if I give them my SS# and bank routing number, they promise they'll deposit the money into my account.
Any day now.....

Einikel

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 10:29 pm
I get offered car warranties for my nonexistent car

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 15 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Why won’t you let? Don’t you want to keep kids with COVID out of school, so that those in school will be safe. Don’t you want to keep this disease from spreading? My daughter’s school is doing this and I signed consent. What’s the downside?

ETA: this is in Brooklyn

I know a kid that tested positive in school now a month after getting it. I know others it happened to. That they tested positive later on. Like a women in delivery tested positive after being admitted. They made her such problems. But she had tested positive already a while earlier. The test can pick it up months later

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:09 am
In ny, in the yellow zone where schools are open, Cuomo passed an order, in conjunction with the doh, that every student, teacher, staff in every school must be tested weekly. Chances are that this will be a requirement in the red zone when schools are opened officially.

I do know some of my neighbors schools have sent home permission slips for random testing.

soap suds

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:10 am
keym wrote:
So you feel schools and yeshivas should stay closed indefinitely?
Do you have that little faith in tefillah?

Mothers

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:37 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
In ny, in the yellow zone where schools are open, Cuomo passed an order, in conjunction with the doh, that every student, teacher, staff in every school must be tested weekly. Chances are that this will be a requirement in the red zone when schools are opened officially.

I do know some of my neighbors schools have sent home permission slips for random testing.

It’s not every student and staff member every week. It’s a random 20% weekly. Same as the public schools.

Mothers

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I know a kid that tested positive in school now a month after getting it. I know others it happened to. That they tested positive later on. Like a women in delivery tested positive after being admitted. They made her such problems. But she had tested positive already a while earlier. The test can pick it up months later

Maybe - but when dealing with the possibility of death or irreversible damage, I’d rather err on the side of caution.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Oct 16 2020, 12:51 am
Mothers wrote:
It’s not every student and staff member every week. It’s a random 20% weekly. Same as the public schools.

Did it change in the last few days?

Last I heard was random testing of ten percent.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics