Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Frying fish

ReallyRosie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 12:49 pm
Hi. I've had some problems with frying fish a few times here in Israel, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's happened with amnon (tilapia) and pollock.

Most times, the fish fries up fine. Other times, I cook it, and it doesn't flake - the meat still seems clear. So I cook it longer, the breading is near burning, and it still doesn't look done. So I put it in the oven- the breading is near charred and the fish is still not flaking and the meat still seems clear (raw). By this point, there is no possible way the fish is raw- it has been cooked way too long.

The fish always smells fine before this fiasco. When I have this problem though, the end result is non-flaking fish that has a rotten egg-like smell. It's weird - I never had this problem in the states. Anyone know what could cause it? Other people who buy fish in carmiel don't have this problem...

Lani22

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 1:07 pm
Ok my #1 tip would be to keep your flame very ver low. fry the fish for about 5-6 minutes on each side. This way the fish will cook and your breading will not burn.

louche

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 1:08 pm
I don't know, but when I make pollock it always looks sort of translucent grey and never turns opaque white. I go by how long it's cooked, not by how it looks.

ReallyRosie

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 3:28 pm
Does it flake, even though it's translucent grey? I know I've gotten to the point of overcooking this thing. it can't be raw anymore, despite how it looks. I don't understand why sometimes these fish types do this. I worry that it is not safe to eat- if I just made a bad dish, that's ok, I'll cope.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics