Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Any secret cholent tips?
1  2  Next

supermommy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 5:18 pm
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but my cholent never seems to turn out good. I'm looking here for tecniqe tips that gets overlooked in a recipe. Is it the pot? What time you make it? the order of the ing?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:32 pm
im posting anon b/c my friends would recognize my really really really basic chulent recipe
this is what I do, its the simplest and everyone asks me for the recipe
peel brown potatoes, cut up (or I use the "ends" of the potatoes I grate for kugel...yup I hand grate those...in my spare time lol)
flanken
1 bone
one onion, whole (not worth cutting up, it falls apart anyway. u can slice thru it diagnoally and just throw it in like that)
beans-like 1/4 cup (I leave it in 1 c of water overnight to get rid of gassiness...)
barley - abt 1 cup, maybe more, I never measure
ok, I throw that all in, BUT- try kindof put the onion, meat, and bone on the bottom, THEN potatoes, then beans and barley on top, because theyre most prone to burning.

Then, early in the morning (around 5 usually? when I leave the house), I fill it up with water, and add about 3 or 4 tablespoons of BEEF SOUP FLAVORING. thats it. no ketchup, no honey, no bbq sauce (although a bit of bbq sauce sometimes makes it tangy and good), NOOOO salt, its salty enough, no pepper. I leave it on hot, and at around 2 or 3, either me or my husband (if im not home yet...or babysitter.....whoever) turns it down to "low." Before shabbos, I make sure that its not simmering at all, and is still pretty much covered w/ water. if its not, I add more. thats IT. it really never burns.

lubcoralsprings

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:37 pm
try adding a combo of bbq sauce, ketsup, and onion soup mix.

foreverhappy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:38 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:41 pm
foreverhappy wrote:
You only put a 1/4 cup of beans? I put a full cup and I barely had enough for 2 people.

I hate them, and my husband likes htem, but only like a few bites full, then we have this giant pot full of a baked bean looking mixture left over!! so I put in barely any.

putting in more beans usually dries it out....

foreverhappy

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 6:44 pm
delete

Last edited by foreverhappy on Sun, Jul 10 2011, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

jba

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 8:06 pm
my MIL sears the meat in a pan first before adding it to the beans and barley. She also has a lot of water. DH loves how she makes it -- I, unfortunatley haven't been able to replicate.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 8:42 am
foreverhappy wrote:
I don't put in any barley because I heard that it dries out the cholent.

Im the OP who posted my entire long shpiel recipe.
Barley DOES dry it out alot, but if you add water either once or even twice before shabbos, it doesnt stick to the sides at all, and doesnt taste dry. you just have to watch it.

babula

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:15 am
I brown the onions before I add them and always add paprika. I use equal amounts of mixed beans and lima beans, a little bit of celery and carrot, wheat berries (they are just grains of whole wheat) and a very small amout of barley. Salt, pepper, sugar and a Tbsp or two of molasses.

I get rave reviews. I think browning the onions and paprika are probably the most important.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 11:27 am
Potatoes
sweet potatoes
lots of onions
can of kidney beans
barley
stew meat
can of beer
chicken broth
garlic salt, pepper, spices

I cook it completely before shabbos and turn it to warm before shabbos starts.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 2:12 pm
I drop in several whole garlic cloves - they are mellow and yummy after cooking so long in the cholent. Yum!

Mevater

Post Mon, Feb 25 2008, 2:29 pm
Ketshup, honey and the drippings of chicken I bake.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2008, 12:25 am
use BIG pot, larger than u need
say ove the cholent: lekovod shabos kodesh
flanken/marach:marrow bones/chulent mix beans/paprika
onion/whole garlic/potatoes and ready kishka in end
leave on low flame forever after boil

till now my cholent is known to be the best
perhaps now yours will be too! glad to share!

mama-star

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 4:39 pm
is that like in the uncle moishy video?

oh cholent, cholent, cholent a la kiddush, cholent, cholent, cholent if you're yiddish...

ChossidMom

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 4:24 pm
I put it whatever grains I have around that day.
Sometimes brown rice. Sometimes wheatberries. Sometimes barley (although my kids HATE barley. Can't imagine why).
This week I used burgul.
Onions
Stew meat
white beans
salt, pepper and a shake of paprika.
Sometimes store bought kishke.

I stopped using ketchup and honey and it comes out just as good!

By the way, meat bones make it really good.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 4:40 pm
I saute onions in a heavy pot, then add the meat (either brisket or chuck which are very cheap when bought frozen here) and sear it on all sides. I add a few bones (not marrow as they are too $$$ here), some ketchup and alittle salt and that's all. I do this on Thursday.
I soak a bit of beans cause we really don't eat so much. On Friday I drain the beans and add them to the pot, along with either barley, wheat berries (bulgur is the same but chopped up) or brown rice. I have never had a problem with them drying the cholent out. I make a kishke now and then but it's really not necessary.
If leaving in the oven for Shabbat, I just put it in early at a good temp (350?) till it's hot, then lower to 220F for the rest of the time it's in there (Shabbat morning). Otherwise, I xfer the whole thing to my crock pot, get it to a boil then lower it for the rest of the cooking time.
Come out delicious every time but only a few family members really appreciate it, unfortunately.

myfriends715

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 8:04 pm
I add honey, ketchup, onion soup mix, 1 can Beer and 1 C dry wine

MahPitom

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 10:07 pm
It’s the pot, dear. I use a slow cooker. Thursday morning I fill with water halfway (8 qt. pot) and just lump everything in and say Shalom. Thursday night I turn it off and when it’s cooled, I put in the fridge. Friday morning, I put it back on the slow cooker on low to warm up again. Erev Shabbos, I DOUBLE the water in the pot, and that’s where it stays until the meal.

What’s in the pot?

Water to fill half the pot (add this in first so you can see)
¾ pack of Great Northern Beans, and a sprinkling of the speckled beans
Used to be : ¼ cup barley
Now replaced with basmati rice
3 cloves garlic
Paprika for color, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 pk of meat, whatever is on sale
1 pk of hotdogs for the kids for Thursday night supper
Keep adding water throughout the day so it never turns to paste.
Send some to me for a sampling.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 10:39 pm
coca cola is the best.
it gives color and flavour.

MahPitom

Post Sat, Mar 15 2008, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
coca cola is the best.
it gives color and flavour.
I do that for wings, london broil... not in cholent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus