Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
1 year old’s bottle

MiriFr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 7:59 pm
My baby is close to finishing a container of (soy) formula.
At this age, my older son was already drinking cow’s milk. Mr 1yo is allergic.
Should I continue with the formula? Or give him soy milk? I feel like soy milk isn’t as good as cows milk in comparison to formula.
Can any allergic or vegan moms weigh in?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 8:09 pm
Is it a true allergy or a milk protein intolerance? If an allergy, I'd check with allergist. If it's a protein intolerance, that's something many children outgrow by age 1, but you could talk to your pediatrician about it. My first had protein intolerances (with digestive symptoms and we saw a gastro doctor), and with guidance, we started on small amounts of dairy at 11-12 months and found that she had outgrown it. Either way I'd talk to a doctor about it.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 9:07 pm
He doesn’t need any milk or formula. Just nutrient dense foods.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 10:34 pm
My pediatrician recommended a few options for milk substitute. He specifically did not want me to use soy. You should check with yours. Whatever you do, read labels. Some have tons of added sugar. Some have minimal nutritional benefits. My goal was to choose something higher in fat and protein with no added sugar, until I weaned off bottles completely.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:00 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Is it a true allergy or a milk protein intolerance? If an allergy, I'd check with allergist. If it's a protein intolerance, that's something many children outgrow by age 1, but you could talk to your pediatrician about it. My first had protein intolerances (with digestive symptoms and we saw a gastro doctor), and with guidance, we started on small amounts of dairy at 11-12 months and found that she had outgrown it. Either way I'd talk to a doctor about it.

He has an animal protein allergy. What should I check with his allergist?

MiriFr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:00 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
He doesn’t need any milk or formula. Just nutrient dense foods.

A 1 year old doesn’t need milk?

MiriFr

Post Mon, Oct 19 2020, 11:01 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My pediatrician recommended a few options for milk substitute. He specifically did not want me to use soy. You should check with yours. Whatever you do, read labels. Some have tons of added sugar. Some have minimal nutritional benefits. My goal was to choose something higher in fat and protein with no added sugar, until I weaned off bottles completely.

Oh like what?
My baby’s main source of protein is soy because of his animal protein, nut, and peanut allergies.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:40 am
Have you tried goat's milk? Allergy wise very different than cow's.
My kids were allergic to cow's milk and dr said to avoid soy milk as well because kids are usually sensitive to it when allergic to cow's milk. Why does a 1 yr old need the alternative milk? Can use coconut milk in recipes? Maybe add in a plant based protein shake if necessary?
I keep all babies away from extra estrogen like in soy products, especially boys.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:45 am
MiriFr wrote:
A 1 year old doesn’t need milk?

No

MiriFr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 6:49 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Have you tried goat's milk? Allergy wise very different than cow's.
My kids were allergic to cow's milk and dr said to avoid soy milk as well because kids are usually sensitive to it when allergic to cow's milk. Why does a 1 yr old need the alternative milk? Can use coconut milk in recipes? Maybe add in a plant based protein shake if necessary?
I keep all babies away from extra estrogen like in soy products, especially boys.

Allergic to goat milk.
And coconut gives him really bad diapers Sad it also doesn’t have any protein in it.
He needs milk because he’s still a baby! I gave my older son milk until he was 2.
Soy is very healthy, and it’s his main source of protein. There’s no way im cutting it out of his diet.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/n...../soy/

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:10 am
Given the other food limitations ask the doc if you should continue soy formula or switch to oat/pea/ almond milk

MiriFr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:14 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Given the other food limitations ask the doc if you should continue soy formula or switch to oat/pea/ almond milk

Thank you I’ll ask. (He’s allergic to nuts Can't Believe It )

coffeetime

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:29 am
I give my son almond milk and oat milk which tend to have have calcium added. I have heard good things about Ripple Pea milk but have never tried it and am unsure of the hechsher.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:29 am
MiriFr wrote:
Thank you I’ll ask. (He’s allergic to nuts Can't Believe It )

What does this kid eat?! You are incredible to be able to manage this.

Yeah, when dealing with such limitations it's Dr territory

MiriFr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:40 am
coffeetime wrote:
I give my son almond milk and oat milk which tend to have have calcium added. I have heard good things about Ripple Pea milk but have never tried it and am unsure of the hechsher.

Nut allergy.
Oat milk doesn’t have a lot of protein in it. I’ll look for the pea milk. If it has a hechsher, I eat it. Thanks!

MiriFr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 7:47 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
What does this kid eat?! You are incredible to be able to manage this.

Yeah, when dealing with such limitations it's Dr territory

It was hard in the beginning, but I’m used to it! I decided to nurse him so that I can figure out good food options for him.
Breakfast- cereal and soy milk, oatmeal, bananas, vegan nut-free pancakes/waffles, Just egg, scrambled tofu, soy yogurt
Lunch- pasta, sandwich with soy butter or sunflower butter, any of the breakfast foods
Supper- impossible beef meatballs, meatloaf, bolognese, hamburgers, he’s not allergic to chicken (weird, right?!), pizza with daiya cheese, all of the Gardein products, falafel, French fries, soup, any of the lunch of breakfast food
Snack- popcorn, crackers, vegan nut free cake/cookies, rice cakes, graham crackers, beans, Hippeas, some fruits, all vegetables...

There’s lots of food he can eat, BHHHH! I’m so lucky he’s not allergic to soy or gluten! Dodged a real bullet there.
You’d never guess he’s allergic! His eczema is gone, and he’s a whopper of a child- 98% heigh and 95% weight.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 2:19 pm
Pediatrician recommended this: https://www.target.com/p/silk-.....36372

She said that the main benefits would be the calcium and iron over the protein, so even rice milk would be ok.
Hope this helps any mom in my situation!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 20 2020, 3:09 pm
Soy products are really bad for kids, but especially for boys. It's a phytoestrogen, and little boys do not need more estrogen in their systems.

DD was lactose intolerant, and I put her on fortified rice milk. Make sure that it's FORTIFIED and has all the supplemental vitamins in it. I started out by mixing it with the last of her powdered formula, but pretty soon she was completely used to rice milk by itself. I made sure she had a very balanced diet all around.

(Not that anyone asked, but after a year old, a child doesn't need a bottle, either. Sippy cups or even a regular cup with supervision is much better.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics