Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Pareve dill sauce for fish

cassandra

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:48 pm
I made salmon en croute and I'm looking for a dill sauce to serve it with. I really don't want to use non-dairy creamer or pareve sour cream. I'm ok with lowfat mayonnaise.

Anyone have a recipe?

jba

Post Thu, Feb 21 2008, 11:56 pm
my aunt makes one with mayo, dill, garlic & salt. I think she waters it down a bit and her 'secret' ingredient is a little bit of pickle juice. I hate pickles but this is always fantastic. also fresh dill works better than dried.

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 12:19 am
Mine is lite mayonnaise, some vinegar, sugar, garlic, fresh dill and the dill that's a spice.

mamacita

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 3:13 am
You can add a dash of mustard to the above recipes for a little kick.

It's dill-icious, hehe.

hmmmm?

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 4:35 am
If you're serving it as a sauce for salmon, it would probably be good with lemon juice instead of vinegar - I'd try mayo,lemon juice (best if fresh squeezed), black pepper, fresh dill, salt, sugar. I can't give you quantities because I'd make it to taste - you may prefer more sweet so just a touch of salt or more savoury so just a touch of sugar. You could also finely chop onion and mix it in.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out. Bon appetit!

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 8:42 am
My base is always lite mayo and lemon juice. Then add whatever you want and keep tasting!

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 10:20 am
I use just mayo, lemon juice,garlic and dill

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 10:24 am
Cassandra, taste it as you'r em aking it, then you'll for sure like it. We always use a mayo dilly lemon combo.

Maya

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 10:28 am
Hmm, the lemon juice sounds like a good idea. I'll try it that way next time instead of the vinegar.

cassandra

Post Fri, Feb 22 2008, 10:36 am
Thanks for all the ideas. I once tried to make it when I did a Shabbos Sheva Brachos and I wanted it the consistency to squeeze through a squeeze bottle, so I just kept adding water until it worked. It was fine, but didn't have much of a flavor.

I think I'll do lemon juice as the salmon has lemon juice too, and I'll just play around with it. Do you all blend it, or just mix the ingredients by hand? And if you do it by hand, what do you do with the garlic?

MahPitom

Post Sat, Feb 23 2008, 9:01 pm
jba wrote:
my aunt makes one with mayo, dill, garlic & salt. I think she waters it down a bit and her 'secret' ingredient is a little bit of pickle juice. I hate pickles but this is always fantastic. also fresh dill works better than dried.

That’s what I do. Chop fresh dill (or the frozen pre-checked brand) and add to the mayonnaise. Add pickle juice, salt & pepper to taste. Garlic optional.

wanderer

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:27 pm
Sounds yum everyone!

Can someone give me quantities please? Never made anything like it, and have no idea with what to start....

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics