Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Leaving child in the bathtub with a monitor
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:33 pm
lilies wrote:
She can just as well play at the kitchen sink.

This is a favorite activity in my house if I need to cut up or check veggies or something. I sit her on the counter next to me with her feet dangling in the sink and turn on the faucet. She happily splashes in the water and I get stuff done with my body in front of her.

An older kid can easily stand on a stool too- mine has just been known to fall backwards spontaneously, so sitting on the counter is more secure for now.

small bean

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:33 pm
My 2 year old slipped in the bath tonight. He was trying to balance himself on a bump on the tub wall. He slipped on his back and there wasn't enough water to cover his face. I'm happy I was right there.

I do clean my bathroom while he plays though. I admit my eyes are not trained on him the whole time.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:45 pm
In addition to the danger of leaving the bathroom while the child is in a tub of water (maybe you can't get there in 3 seconds because you are inadvertently distracted), I would be worried about the child grabbing the monitor and taking it in the bath with him or her. Two year olds can get out of the tub and in. They can slip into the tub. Hit their heads. Slip out of the tub, hit their heads. Ouch. G-d forbid, they grab the monitor and take it into the bathtub. Also, if your eyes are on the monitor 100%, what is the point of being in the kitchen and not the bathroom. I think it is so your eyes aren't really on the monitor.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After all those safety threads, I was wondering what the reaction to this will be.

My two year old loves playing in the bathtub for a long time and I don't have so much time to sit with her.
I leave her there with the door open, and set up a video monitor, so I can see her while I'm in the kitchen.
The bathroom is about 20 feet away and I can be there in an instant. I also can hear every splash and every word she says.
I check on her every few minutes.

What could be wrong.

NO! Are you the same person who leaves the kid alone in the house ‘just for a few minutes?’

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really? A human being goes for 3 seconds without oxygen and dies?

(Besides, I can be there in under 3 seconds.)

I think there is a confusion here. The brain cells start dying after 3 mins and brain damage starts.
But NO!! I would not leave with a monitor.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:06 pm
Hashem yeracheim. Please, please, better that your kid should only get bathed on her birthday and live to have many more.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:11 pm
I call foul on this post, I don't think it's real, I think it's a con

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:16 pm
I like letting my lo play in the tub when im sitting next to him because it gives me a chance to relax a few minutes and put a busy night on hold a few minutes

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:23 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:

Reaction: oh no, not another one
Im with stupid

tigerwife

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:27 pm
I thought this thread was a satire on the other 15 minute thread but now I’m not sure 😭

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:28 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I thought this thread was a satire on the other 15 minute thread but now I’m not sure 😭

I also thought it was satire, until OP kept at it.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:30 pm
I agree you should be physically in the bathroom during a bath for a young child.

One suggestion I have is also in general, even when you're there the whole time, to put in just a little water in the bath, like a couple of inches are enough to splash around and I think it's probably safer with less water.

My older children generally take showers, but what age would you consider a child ok taking a bath alone?

yksraya

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I agree you should be looking into the bathroom during a bath for a young child.

One suggestion I have is also in general, even when you're there the whole time, to put in just a little water in the bath, like a couple of inches are enough to splash around and I think it's probably safer with less water.

My older children generally take showers, but what age would you consider a child ok taking a bath alone?

At around 8 or 9.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:35 pm
yksraya wrote:
At around 8 or 9.

5/6 with me checking in frequently. I even check in with my older kids every few minutes.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:37 pm
Amother tangerine- if you’re reading this, I would be interested to see a spin off thread on bath/shower safety for older kids.

I agree that it’s better to keep the doors unlocked.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:47 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I agree you should be physically in the bathroom during a bath for a young child.

At 6 they can be left alone in a bath. Doesn't mean they should be taking the bath all by themselves.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:54 pm
When my 2 yr old starts slipping out of my hands while I bathe him, he gets lost and I can panic. I can't imagine how it would be if I'm not right there. Even the water is only a few inches.
Besides the water, you can't ever know how a slip can turn out to be... Sometimes just water and sometimes with a big bang. It's freaky.

If I'm not in the mood of sitting with child while playing, I just take out n say, next time.

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:56 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I call foul on this post, I don't think it's real, I think it's a con

Me too. Sure hope so.

malki2

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
After all those safety threads, I was wondering what the reaction to this will be.

My two year old loves playing in the bathtub for a long time and I don't have so much time to sit with her.
I leave her there with the door open, and set up a video monitor, so I can see her while I'm in the kitchen.
The bathroom is about 20 feet away and I can be there in an instant. I also can hear every splash and every word she says.
I check on her every few minutes.

What could be wrong.

I didn’t see all of the reactions yet, but I assume that you are joking. All it takes is for you to get a phone call and get distracted for 10 seconds.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Oct 21 2020, 10:00 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
5/6 with me checking in frequently. I even check in with my older kids every few minutes.

Same. I even most of the time leave the door a crack open so I can see just by passing by. Though many times they tell me to close it cuz, ma, it's not tznuas Smile Also, I shampoo their hair, so I keep asking, where you upto...

I once had, my 6 yr old was in the bath and I called her name, no answer. I called another few times and she didn't answer. I jumped up and ran.. I find her sitting there and smiling. She was simply playing with me!! Twisted Evil gosh!! My neshama was nearly out
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics