Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Frum enviromentalist?
1  2  3  4  Next

Abi6

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:16 am
I met a frum lady recently who mentioned that she attempts to minimize her carbon footprint as much as possible.'She tries to walk when possible,if not she drives her Tesla which is powered by her solar panels.
She never uses plastic,and is horrified that frum people would oppose the bag tax.
She had many insightful things to say.I am wondering why this is not the popular opinion among most of the frum community.
Obviously I understand that we cant let it disrupt our lives, but why is it so looked down on to be more mindful of our pollution habits?
Not nervous that our planet will disappear but you cant deny the bad effect of plastic and such on our environment.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:24 am
I just read somewhere that last night was the first time climate change was featurd in a presidential debate.
So seems like the movement is picking up.

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:26 am
This is normal in my community

Abi6

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:31 am
I understand that there are communities that this is already accepted.Was wondering why other communities are not concerned.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:32 am
While I don't agree with the extreme movements, I have always been surprised that more frum people don't care to at least be a little more mindful. I mean, it's a tenet of our faith that Hashem created the world, and just last week, we read in black and white that He wants us to take good care of it. Again, there are definitely extremes within the movement that are messed up, but we should absolutely always be looking for ways to be less wasteful, not pollute, and just be generally aware.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:32 am
Years ago, I read an article by Rabbi Avi Shafran in Jewish Women's Outlook called Never Too Many and I believe that he made the point there that while we have larger families, we do tend to have a smaller footprint, as far as square feet per person, using hand me downs, buying second hand furniture, etc. We may not be perfect but we certainly compensate in some areas.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:36 am
Abi6 wrote:
I met a frum lady recently who mentioned that she attempts to minimize her carbon footprint as much as possible.'She tries to walk when possible,if not she drives her Tesla which is powered by her solar panels.
She never uses plastic,and is horrified that frum people would oppose the bag tax.
She had many insightful things to say.I am wondering why this is not the popular opinion among most of the frum community.
Obviously I understand that we cant let it disrupt our lives, but why is it so looked down on to be more mindful of our pollution habits?
Not nervous that our planet will disappear but you cant deny the bad effect of plastic and such on our environment.

Some of those things are expensive (like owning a tesla). Solar panels aren't so common yet, the price is dropping so they might be more prevelant in a few years.

We also have larger families and serve many big meals for shabbos and yom tov.

We all balance our sanity, money and priorities.

Do people look down on it?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:41 am
Quote:
Frum enviromentalist?

Yes, here.

Not uber-environmentalist, but a little bit...

like separting the litter (PET, Aluminium, Carton, Paper)...
Taking public transport rather than car if possible
Not leaving lights on if not necessary...

In my community, this is more or less the spirit...

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 10:58 am
saw50st8 wrote:
Some of those things are expensive (like owning a tesla). Solar panels aren't so common yet, the price is dropping so they might be more prevelant in a few years.

We also have larger families and serve many big meals for shabbos and yom tov.

We all balance our sanity, money and priorities.

Do people look down on it?

This. We have large families, juggle two or more jobs, pay tuition and try to parent our children well. I don't know too many people who also take on the environment as another responsibility.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:01 am
While I know many frum women are too busy to focus on reducing their footprint, I don’t know anyone who looks down on those who are more conscious. I see it largely as a focus on avoiding baal tashchis. Kol hakavod.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:11 am
I am environmental conscious. I reuse small water bottles a few times, try to not use plastic dishes as much, shut lights when not in the room.....

Jenna Martin wrote something smart in her serial in the Ami. When she wasn’t frum she was busy with saving the earth. That was her goal in life. Then when she became frum she saw how it’s not meant to be the main focus in life. As busy mothers- working, caring for a houseful of kids, preparing for shabbos etc... being obsessed with It just doesn’t make sense...

leah233

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:12 am
I'm environmentally conscious but mostly becuase of Baal Taschis.

The reason environmentalists have so little sway in the frum world is probably becuase

(1)they are part of a larger political group who is frequently hostile to the frum world and has certain values that are antithetical to it.

(2)some of their ideas like banning plastic bags cause more difficulties to a frum family with many children going food shopping than to a single guy living in Manhattan or college campus

(2)as is the case in the non-Jewish world environmentalists are looked at with suspicion. It is rare to find a group whose leaders and activists are so openly hypocritical. e.g. When you are flying around on your private jet don't tell me I can't drink from a straw becuase of the environment.

Last edited by leah233 on Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

tichellady

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:14 am
It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. We can all find areas to improve on that do not feel too burdensome.

imanonymous

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:15 am

Last edited by imanonymous on Thu, May 06 2021, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:26 am
Once I saw this, it changed how I felt about using disposable plastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzdxOOyhUPY

youngishbear

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:32 am
I've taken certain steps like switching to reusable water bottles, stopping to buy plastic straws, cutting down on disposable shopping bags, and being more careful with recycling. I'm probably outing myself with these examples because I don't know anyone else in my social circle who cares.

However, I have a lot to improve, especially with plastic tableware. I tell myself that when my kids get a bit older I'll stop relying on plastic so much.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:39 am
The Torah commands "Ba'al Tashchis" so I try not to waste anything - including water and electricity.

BUT the Climate Change Hoax is just an excuse for Government to control literally EVERYTHING -
it would be the abolition of private property.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:41 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Once I saw this, it changed how I felt about using disposable plastics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzdxOOyhUPY

Sad

Makes me feel so guilty.

I also worry about microplastics getting into the water and food supply, but I'm not sure what the solution is for that.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:43 am
Because my garbage and recycling is going to the same place.

March was beautiful to see all the wildlife return and pollution clear up but I see very little of what I do can have any impact.

Have you noticed that many food items that for years came in glass is now plastic. It's because of regulations of what a company must do if a glass jar breaks leaving companies no choice but to start packaging in plastic. Why banning shopping bags when so many food items are sold in plastic? The latter is detrimental to your health and the environment.

I wish things were more honest and clear. At the moment being invested in something that's completely mixed up with so much sheker is just not something I'm willing to do.

Also just curious, to make a tesla vs regular car requires same amount of energy?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 11:48 am
tigerwife wrote:
While I know many frum women are too busy to focus on reducing their footprint, I don’t know anyone who looks down on those who are more conscious. I see it largely as a focus on avoiding baal tashchis. Kol hakavod.

I think it’s discouraged. You see a lot of recommendations to use exclusively disposables here.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics