Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/O What do you do but did not see it growing up?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:22 pm

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:24 pm
It's black and white!!!

esther11

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 12:31 pm
I also pierce my babies ears at a few months old. My mother didn’t believe in it and I felt very left out in school. I got my own ears pierced for my bas mitzva, and I was 3rd to last girl in my grade of close to 100 girls.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:03 pm
I’m a mom.
Doing what moms do.

Didn’t see this while growing up

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:10 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Cook vegetables, fish and and meat for less than a million years. All meat was beyond well done. All vegetables were mush. All fish was dry. Anything that's supposed to be cooked for a long time was amazing.

I thought it was just my mother!
I discovered after I got married and I was actually reading cookbooks that certain cuts of meat (like steak) are supposed to be cooked for a short time and I was mind blown. Every single meat was cooked in the oven for hours, even steak. A whole new world of food opened up to me since learning that. My mother still insists on doing things her way. Even if that means a tuna fillet ends up looking like canned tuna because she baked it for who knows how long

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:48 pm
Um.
Birth control.

acemom

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 1:51 pm
I shmooze with my kids about my day and theirs and don't just throw questions at them.

I tell my kids I love them just for being.

I DO leave dishes and cleaning up for the next morning. Gasp!....

I prioritize my family over chesed with others....

I aim to arrive to candle lighting calm and ready.

I include my kids in planning stuff that involves them.

I talk about healthy eating but don't preach or ban anything. Some "food items" don't enter my house, since I'm doing the grocery shopping. My kids have been making good choices BH otherwise. (I don't worry about sneaking.)

sallysaucer

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:02 pm
esther11 wrote:
I also pierce my babies ears at a few months old. My mother didn’t believe in it and I felt very left out in school. I got my own ears pierced for my bas mitzva, and I was 3rd to last girl in my grade of close to 100 girls.

This. I was the only one in my class of 17 without earrings.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 4:21 pm
hug my kid! Love my kid! Kiss my kid up to pieces! Listen to him, validate his feelings. Make supper, use a drying rack like someone else said. Everything was put in the dryer by us. Dance and sing with my kid and sooo much more B”H!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:00 pm
Wear pajamas/get the kids ready for bed in pajamas. At one of my first sleepovers, I got into bed with my clothes and tights still on and my friends were so surprised, they thought I was too shy to change. No, we just wore our clothes to bed, idk why. If we took a bath that night, we just got redressed. One night, DH and I were sitting on the couch and the kids came downstairs to get water and they were all marching down in their pajamas and nightgowns and I just marveled at it and said to DH, don't they look like they're in a book or a movie all clean and ready for bed in nice, clean pajamas, it's just so normal. DH looked at me like I'm crazy, I guess if you didn't grow up like that, then you won't get it.

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Wear pajamas/get the kids ready for bed in pajamas. At one of my first sleepovers, I got into bed with my clothes and tights still on and my friends were so surprised, they thought I was too shy to change. No, we just wore our clothes to bed, idk why. If we took a bath that night, we just got redressed. One night, DH and I were sitting on the couch and the kids came downstairs to get water and they were all marching down in their pajamas and nightgowns and I just marveled at it and said to DH, don't they look like they're in a book or a movie all clean and ready for bed in nice, clean pajamas, it's just so normal. DH looked at me like I'm crazy, I guess if you didn't grow up like that, then you won't get it.

Hug Hug

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 9:26 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

For some reason this just breaks my heart.
I’m so happy you did not perpetuate this.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:03 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
For some reason this just breaks my heart.
I’m so happy you did not perpetuate this.

I was once by someone's house for shabbos and motzei shabbos by the zman her two kids come out of their rooms dressed in weekday clothes, and the third kid follows in a her school uniform and tights. I asked her why she's wearing her uniform if it's motzei shabbos she said mornings are busy enough so their parents make them get dressed the night before for the next day, so in the morning they only have to brush their hair and put on shoes. She's the only one with school on Sunday so she's in uniform, her siblings are in their Sunday clothes.
It stayed with me for a while- sleeping with tights and going to sleep in clothes you slept in....

Zehava

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I was once by someone's house for shabbos and motzei shabbos by the zman her two kids come out of their rooms dressed in weekday clothes, and the third kid follows in a her school uniform and tights. I asked her why she's wearing her uniform if it's motzei shabbos she said mornings are busy enough so their parents make them get dressed the night before for the next day, so in the morning they only have to brush their hair and put on shoes. She's the only one with school on Sunday so she's in uniform, her siblings are in their Sunday clothes.
It stayed with me for a while- sleeping with tights and going to sleep in clothes you slept in....

Mornings are busy enough with no school? Scratching Head
Those poor kids

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:20 pm
I have no stuff cluttering up my kitchen counters, living room buffet, magazine rack. I also don't have a bunch of small furniture pieces in the dining/living room to serve as magnets for more stuff. My counters are 100% clear erev shabbos and any other time I officially clean up, no not every night but when we clean up, everything has a place that it belongs. The counter is not the place.

I grew up with stuff all over and developed such a severe aversion to stuff that DH sometimes needs to remind me that we live in a house with people and people have stuff and it's ok if some things lie around...

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:25 pm
I make supper regularly (okay, sometimes it’s pretty basic but I always prepare something). My mother never made supper during the week. It was either takeout or fend-for-yourself. Oh, and I’m out of the house all day. She was a SAHM.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 25 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Hug
I know.
And now I have this thing that my kids pajamas HAVE to be in good condition. If they arent perfect it really bothers me.
My 2nd kid really loves one specific pjs that all kids had matching but I threw most of it out after using it 3 winter seasons. She put on her sisters today. She loves it and doesn't want me to throw it out and it mamish hurt my eyes to look at it. So I just tries to focus on her sweet happy face. And pretend its something else when I do the laundry. Lol.

What I do different?
I ask my kids opinion on things pertaining to them and actually take it into consideration.
Once my kid shows a preference in clothing, I buy my kids dresses/outfits that I think they will like. If they dont, I try to show them the beauty in the dress and if they still dont like it, I return them or give them away.
Growing up I wore, ate, and did exactly as I was told. Or else....

And I live my life how I want to. The phrase or idea of what will people say has no place in my house.
I do me.
I try to teach my kids to live like that too.

I tell my kids I love them all the time.
I hug and kiss them often.
And I treat them randomly. Just because.

crust

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:05 am
God bless you PJ Mom for your strength and ability to change.

I can't process this.

giselle

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Hug
I know.
And now I have this thing that my kids pajamas HAVE to be in good condition. If they arent perfect it really bothers me.
My 2nd kid really loves one specific pjs that all kids had matching but I threw most of it out after using it 3 winter seasons. She put on her sisters today. She loves it and doesn't want me to throw it out and it mamish hurt my eyes to look at it. So I just tries to focus on her sweet happy face. And pretend its something else when I do the laundry. Lol.

What I do different?
I ask my kids opinion on things pertaining to them and actually take it into consideration.
Once my kid shows a preference in clothing, I buy my kids dresses/outfits that I think they will like. If they dont, I try to show them the beauty in the dress and if they still dont like it, I return them or give them away.
Growing up I wore, ate, and did exactly as I was told. Or else....

And I live my life how I want to. The phrase or idea of what will people say has no place in my house.
I do me.
I try to teach my kids to live like that too.

I tell my kids I love them all the time.
I hug and kiss them often.
And I treat them randomly. Just because.

You sounds like an awesome mom!!

Love every single one of these.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 26 2020, 7:55 am
I cook way more elaborate meals then my mother does. And bake much more then she does.

Also I take my daughters to hairdressers. My mother cut my hair herself. TMI And let them all grow their hair long - as a young kid mine was always short.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics